Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

17 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2011 6:27 PM by anadyr RSS

Like?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

One view (among many) is that Marriott has done well in creating a Facebook page for Rewards as a brand strengthener. Here's the blog article.

Do you agree or disagree?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Like?
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I agree!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I agree.  While many may not like Facebook at all, just like it some (as I fall into), or love it, it is still something that is part of the technological aspects of both personal and business lives of many people.  I try to make sure my security settings are set high, but also know that almost everything someone could get from Facebook, they could also find on the web using a good Google search.

One of the advantages I have seen just recently from linking to Marriott, is that we have a favorite place we like to go yearly (CasaMagna Marriott in Puerto Vallarta) and when Marriott started making their presence on Facebook, I linked to their page.  We have seen recent updates from the site and yesterday saw an update where one of the people we see there on our trips (Audrey Formisano) has just become the only woman to achieve the status of Certified Tequila Expert (Tequilier) in Mexico and Marriott International and she is a sunbassador for CasaMagna Puerto Vallarta.  While this may not be that big of a thing to many, the point I am really trying to make, is that Marriott and other businesses have realized that the line between business and people's personal has become a blended area.  These kinds of Facebook, and other social medias, such as Twitter, bring their clients closer in their day to day contacts and increase the chance for repeat and new customers.

Another example my wife found, is that American Express has started implementing FourSquare as a means of getting it's customers communicating with businesses and each other.  It brings the advantages of customers being able to find and share deals that they have come across with other users, much like we have done on discussions here on MI.  Social media is huge in business now, and will only get more integrated with everything we do. 

Thanks for that response.  I appreciate all the things social media has done and can do, but worry that it can and will be misused to the detriment of many of us.  I gave up my expectation of privacy long ago as the digital age unfolded, and am sure that we as a group will be more and more targeted for specific promotions based on Facebook type interactions.  That being said, it's here and we'll have to live with it until the next big thing appears.  I am betting on development of an actual tactile response to  touchscreens myself.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I'm with you, SS.  It will never be part of my life because of the privacy concerns.  I briefly created a facebook page for a 91-year-old woman with an extraordinarily odd name who liked nothing, read nothing, did nothing and didn't like people.  I checked it the other day and she had over a hundred people asking her to friend them.  Needless to say, Alma did not.

We are meeting the enemy and he is us, to paraphrase Pogo

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

Agree, but share Professor's opinion over concerns for privacy.

I mentioned Jerry that I too have them and have given up assuming that privacy exits for me anymore.

Does not matter what any of us think!!!  Social Networking is here to stay whether we like it or not!!

You speak the truth--there is virtually no way to safeguard your private information these days if a determined hacker or even an old flame (and all mine are very old) wants to find you.

As you know, if you want to track someone down on the internet you can..In fact, I would suggest that I can learn a lot more about you if I wanted to and I am not even one of your old flames!!!

Are you therefore "burned out?"

My flame for you "burned out" a long time ago...ask Elton John!!!

That was a candle in the wind as I recall that time Sir Elton and I shared a cab in Vegas.

I assume you helped him with the lyrics???

We collaborated on Rocket Man (now being used in a VW ad) but not on that one, sadly,  Copyright laws prevent me from adding to this issue By collaboration I mean he wrrote it and I listened.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Jasper,

I agree with you, but that does not make me have to participate.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

I never link to corporate Facebook pages.  Facebook is great for sharing photos with family and friends but that's about it for me.  I have had lots of requests from 'friends' (well, at least three ... ) ... but am fairly selective as to who I link to.

I find it great for this purpose ... especially when travelling.  For day to day comms with the family, we use Skype.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...