33 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2011 9:41 AM by jasper100 RSS

NYC Top Ten

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I usually have months to plan most of our trips and love doing the research, reservations, etc.; however, I only have a short time to plan a last minute trip to NYC.  Please help me make the most of our trip.  What are your favorite sights to see, places to visit, transportation to use, places to dine, etc...........?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, USA
  • Re: NYC Top Ten
    ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Impossible to do in any kind of order, but, just to scratch the surface:

• See a show (or two - consider a musical and a drama);
    • Do not miss the Empire State Building - bring change, use the viewers - spectacular
    • Walk (or run) in Central Park - give yourself time - it's huge.... Consider the zoo too
    • Visit Ellen's Stardust Diner - we tend to go every morning we're in town - http://www.ellensstardustdiner.com/
    • Eat street food - falafel, kabobs, roasted nuts
    • Check out Mid-Town Comics, one of the nation's most popular comic book stores - http://www.midtowncomics.com
    • Check out Fifth Avenue - it is what it is - for my wife, it's all about Saks
    • If you have daughters, two words: "American Girl" - http://www.americangirl.com/stores/location_ny.php
    • If you're athletic, check out the Chelsea Pier - everything from driving range to ice hockey and bowling - http://www.chelseapiers.com/
    • Maybe not on this trip, but, yes, visit Ellis Island
    • Oh, and the best transportation is your feet - wear comfortable shoes and walk!!!!
    • HAVE FUN!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thank you so much for all the suggestions and going to the extra trouble to include the websites.  The last time we were in NYC was 2001 (for only 2 days) so we are excited about squeezing in as much as we can.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Razorback,

The "Boat Tour", around Manhattan.

World Trade Center Memorial

Empire State Building

Smith & Wollensky's for Streak

The River Cafe for a romantic dinner

Central Park to see "Strawberry Field", and pay respect to John Lennon at the Dakota across the street

A play

The Dukes for a light breakfast

Union Station and a seafood meal at the "Oyster Bar"

Lunch at Barrymore's

Good luck with your trip!  Get us some pictures if you can.

Location Brand Hotel
        New York, USA

jerrycoin, I appreciate all the suggestions.  I think I should have planned a 2-week trip rather than a 1 week trip. 

Nah - don't feel bad.  I (personally) prefer short visits to NYC. (Granted, it's only a convenient train ride away, but....)  My tolerance to the noise and the dirt and the crowds and the prices tends to wane in the 48-72 hour range.  It's a great place to visit, but I would NOT want to live there.  (I know, I know - plenty of folks love it - my sister reveled in it, when she lived there - but I've got my limits)....

ssindc,

I couldn't agree with you more!

The one thing that surprised me was after many trips to NYC, how much I enjoyed the tug boat ride around Manhattan.  The informations they shared was fabulous.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I find DC much less tolerable  than Gotham but then I used to live there.  DC is a very bad place in parts as is NYC but at least in NY the police seem to be ready and on top of things/

• NYC Top Ten

Here's my list:

1. Find and tour the MTA Museum in Brooklyn, still a live subway station electrified but with older trains still sitting there)
    2. Eat coal-fired Pizza at Grimaldi's in DUMBO (right under the Brooklyn Bridge)
    3. Take the Staten Island Ferry (free) to and from to see Liberty Island from the water
    4. Tour the Frick Gallery (for a charge) to see a house filled with amazing paintings, only one of a human being.
    5. Find and have a cocktail at one of the speakeasies that are called PDT (Please Don't Tell) scattered around town.
    6. Tour the USS Intrepid display and museum
    7. Tour the Cloisters as part of your Met admission price
    8. Have a Chipotle Hot Chocolate at Jacques Torre's Candy Factory
    9. Have a mulch-colored corn appetizer at Havana, Cuba in NOLITA
    10. Tour the Tenement Museum also in NOLITA

Thank you steppingstones.  I'm going to have to do some research on some of these.  I sure wish I could give you credit for a helpful answer, too.  Thanks for responding.

There are over 21,000 places to dine in NYC and environs so I tried not to get into the mos famous or most costly.  But if you have a chance, tr Peter Luger's in Brooklyn, or their offshoot, Frankie and Johnnies near the Marquis and Times Square,  Both excellent, though the first one does not take credit cards and is very oversold.  I did some reviewing for Zagat and you can check out their place names (but the ratings require a subscription) in the 2012 book.  My review of Havana is there (at least one line from it).

The other answers all have great suggestions--you'll find more than enough to do.

• NYC Top Ten

PS  check out Time Out New York and Playbill,com on the Internet.

stevew Platinum

1. Got to include a Broadway show or Radio City Music Hall Christmas Show

2. Freedom Tower/World Trade Center Memorial

3. Keen's for a great steak dinner

4. Marriott Marquis revolving restaurant

5. Bill's Burgers for a great lunch

6. Statue of Liberty

7. Museum of Natural history

8. Rockefeller Center (for Christmas Tree)

9. Holiday window displays at Saxs and Macys

10. If you are going with a woman, you have to stop at Tiffany's

Thanks,

I forgot about Tiffany's, what a great place to go.  Audrey Hepburn is a favorite of mine, thanks!.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

And of course, make sure you spend people watching time at Times Square....You wll see interesting people there including the naked cowboy..that should get a razorbackfan excited????

I don't know if this is a helpful answer or not?????  I'll let you know.

Absolutely - give Jasper a gold star!

The Naked Cowboy is an institution: http://www.nakedcowboy.com/

Have your camera ready (and maybe some singles ($1 bills) to stuff in the guitar) as you cross the street - right there by the Marriott Marquis and Planet Hollywood and....  Special bonus points to the Naked Cowboy for "doing his thing" when it's bitter cold outside!

Woo pig sooie!!!!

Woo pig sooie!!!!!

I have a picture of the "Naked Cowboy", but probably will not be able to show it!

Doesn't he take his $250,000 a year and go to Florida for the Winter?

I have seen him in winter in NYC or his standin

Yes..I am his standin!!!!

I can't wait for that Photo Album to be posted.

It was already posted by me, but someone reported it as abuse and shut me down..What a shame!!

Really?  Who did it?  (not me) and Why

I just asked my wife and she said she did...She did not want women (and strange men) seeing the pictures soliciting me for business!!!! I already had an offer from Playboy to pose with Lindsay Lohan!!!

I am sure Lindsay is regretting that decision (not to pose)

She did pose but they only offered me half of what they paid her so I declined to pose with her!!!

As the Naked Cowboy fill-in, I thought I should be paid the same amount!!!!

I thought you were the Naked Steward--did I hear you wrong?

Better than NA...

Naked Ambassador, I guess.

Or Bold Steward?  Get it?

I think that is BS?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...