22 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2013 5:23 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Paris CE or Place Vendome feedback please

shoelessj Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

OK, first time on board and the format is a bit confusing but hopefully I am in the right place. My wife and I are traveling to Paris for 5 nights beginning in May and I want to use Marriot points. Have done a great deal of research and have tentatively booked the Marriott CE which requires an 80 E upcharge and the Place Vendome Ren which is available for no additional upcharge. Understand that the PVen rooms are small but that it is in an excellent location. My initial thought was to go with CE as it seemed the 'flashier' property and my wife has not been to Paris (my travels here have been very limited and years ago).  However, after reading some mixed reviews (here and on other sites) on CE am probably now leaning to the PVen and using the 500 dollars on dining etc. Without beating a dead horse I would really appreciate some current comments as to what informed posters would recommend given this circumstance. Thanks in advance.

ps. really enjoyed the Marriott Hilton point program comparison on this site. I primarily use Hilton (Diamond) and am a lowly Marriott Silver but have experienced some of the 'stronger' Marriott point value in making resv. for this trip.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Vendome Hotel
  • Re: Paris CE or Place Vendome feedback please
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Shoeless,

Stayed at both many times.

If this is your first trip go for CE.  If you are into the Louvre go for the Ren.

There is no place like the CE in the world, but it is not for everyone.  If you like staying on a Hollywood "Movie set", then this is the place.  Great place.

If you want to walk to the Louvre, then this is your place.

You cannot go wrong with either.

IMG_1043.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
      lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

I agree with Jerrycoin. CE is flashier, while RVD is chic boutique. You can't go wrong. You know your wife...which does she prefer?

You will be able to walk more places staying at the RVD.  Paris is a gorgeous city that you need to walk in, so that you can soak it all in, and as they are both close to line one of the Metro, you can just hop on from the CE and get to the area of the RVD easily(it is also walkable if you like to walk, you will just add more milage, which isn't always a bad thing after all of the delicious food!). The rVD also has a small, but upscale pool, which is rare in Paris, in case you like to swim after a long day. If she loves to shop, I would say, she will love being on the CE at the CE, as you will be by all of the swanky shops...very Hollywood. And, of course, being on the CE is beautiful with the AdT, the manicured trees, the wide, expansive street lined with outdoor seating of the cares and restaurants...such an exciting vibe!

All of Paris should be beautiful that time of year, flowers in bloom. I hope you get there when the tulips abound...they are amazing!

If I were you, I would just show your wife the photos of both, and let her choose. If she can't, I would say, go for the CE.

Just reread your post, and I didn't think enough about the extra 80 euros per night for the CE. I think that I would book the RVD, and use the extra money for food. You could then take a walk up the CE , making a stop at the Marriott CE, and have a drink there(use the restrooms if needed:)) on your way up to the AdT. On the way back, you could have dinner at one of the restaurants, sitting outside, if weather permits. If you don't want to walk,you could even take a taxi up the CE to the DT...don't miss out on the beauty of the famous street by just taking the Metro if it is your first time. It will feel more glamorous, and it won't cost much, plus, you have the extra euros. Then you will get to enjoy the feel ofvthe CE, but you will have the luxury of going back to your place by the Louvre to curl up in your nice, dreamy bed! That would be very Parisian!

As a funny side, just found out that my wonderful hubby just purchased ticket for our family(3 young, precious children) to Paris for Easter and two of our son's birthdays!!!  Manifique! Now, if it were just me and my hubby, it would be hands down the RVD, but with a family of five, the rooms are too small for five...so sad. So I am happy that you will get to experience this wonderful hotel as a base for a magnifique city! I, now, am trying to decide about hotels, and which one we may have the best opportunity for upgrades. In the past, we have rented flats with the kids(after getting a tiny room. At the CE even as platinum) but we are paying full price for airline tickets this time, so we must stay on points. Not that I am complaining....it is a true blessing to be able to expose our children to so many parts of the world. We get this due to much business travel and time away from each other, but our trips together are priceless! It just gets a bit more complicated when more that two are involved! Enjoy Paris! I am so excited for you both!!! You couldn't be in a better location, IMHO, and we did live in Paris a few years ago!

Persistence (sometimes) pays off.... I was pleased to book the Marriott CE for points only (pics of standard queen room look perfectly acceptable in fact based on pics here prefer it to the larger room) which pretty much makes my decision for the CE clearcut. I think my wife will appreciate some of the 'glitz' as a first timer. As a Hilton Diamond member I have been pretty impressed with the Marriott points program as far as it reward 'payback'. I made some inquiries with Marriott and believe that I can become a gold member prior to my trip which should significantly help with breakfast costs. So now I can concentrate on sightseeing and dining planning.

Thanks again for everyone's helpful input.

Thanks for your experienced and well thought out replies. First of all I am having some difficulty understanding the protocol of this board and I "awarded" helpful and correct ratings which I believe is the proper thing to do. Both posters were helpful and I did not mean to offend or impy that one was correct and one not.

I would ask the following questions also that would help me greatly regarding both properties:

1) (understanding that rooms can vary greatly within a property) is the room at the CE (I will be getting a "larger" room based on need to spend 80E upgrade) significantly nicer. I know it is larger overall but is the bathroom bigger and more elegant and furnishings etc. better?

2) does one have the advantage of being more accessible to great local style (affordable) dining, ie. breakfast and lunch (no free breakfasts for us Silver plebians).

3) along the lines above I know there is nightlife near CE but is there some close by RVD (not talking 4AM clubbing but late evening cocktails)

Thank you again sincerely for your comments.

Shoeless,

Having stayed at both properties, you will not run out of things to do at either.  For my first trip to Paris, there is no place like the CE.  You do not have to dine there if you don't want to because there are a host of inexpensive places all around you.  You can sight see from the tour bus and see all of Paris very reasonably, and it stops close to the front of the hotel.  The Concierge will help you with all of your needs.  There are bistro's that never close within walking distance.

With one change on the Metro you can take the Metro from CDG to FDR, get off and walk to the hotel.

Good luck on your plans, if you need more specifics, let us know!

IMG_1061.JPGIMG_1069.JPGDSCN0082_0068.jpg

Location Brand Hotel

Shoelessj,

As for the size of the room upgrade you may receive at the CE, I can only tell you, that 1.we have never paid for a room upgrade with euros, and still received what they considered an upgrade as we were platinum.  So, I am not sure what their definition of upgrade means. For instance, when we were without kids, we we Had a huge room right on the CE, which was wonderful, but when we came with all 3young children, we were put in a very tiny room. They said it was an upgrade, and if we would have paid an extra 80Euros for it, I would have been very upset...not worth it.  80 euros extra for a room on the CE for your wife's first time in Paris, yes, but just for a minimal upgrade, no way IMO! 

As for you #2&3 questions, Jerrycoin has hit the nail on the head...you will be able to get anything in either location.  You can't go wrong for dining, no matter which property you choose. My mouth is watering already!

Good luck, and enjoy!!! 

Shoeless,

While I may have been lucky, at the C-E (On points) I signed up to pay the 80 Euro's, when I checked in they upgraded me and did NOT charge me the 80 Eu per night.  Now maybe because I was PP, I don't know, but it was a great room.  If this is your first time in Paris, go with the CE.  I enjoy the Vendome, but it is not as "Central" to really sightseeing in Paris.  I think it is for more "Experienced" tourists, who have really specific things to do in that area, (Ie high fashion, Louvre only, etc.)

Here is a picture (2) of the typical room at CE and the upgraded room on the CE itself:

You will not go wrong, no matter what your choice is!  But one suggestion, book early!  These can be difficult places to get into on points.

Good luck, let us know if you have other questions about Paris activites

IMG_0521.JPGIMG_0525.JPGIMG_1039.JPG

Location Brand Hotel
      mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I echo what has been said here. First timers should check into the CE, but be forewarned, the area along the Boulevard is noisy, crowded and hectic at all hours of the day. The location is probably as central as can be (except if you are taking the RER to Versailles, which is a small, but pleasant, hike).

During my last trip in 2010, I paid for a room upgrade because the standard room would not accommodate more than two people. Since I was traveling with my teens, we needed a larger room.

Here are two pictures, one with the standard room, the other the upgraded atrium room, which was quite large (as you can see, my brood was passed out after a walking the city after flying all night).

Standard

Picture 077.jpg

Larger, atrium room

DSCN01842.jpg

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Shoeless, I'll throw my 2 cents in.  Hopefully you will read, since it's way after your original post.  If it's your first time in Paris, I vote for the CE.  It is a beautiful hotel located on the most glamorous boulevard in the entire world!  You will LOVE the hotel atrium.  The last time I stayed there (2010), we stayed on points, but we paid for a room upgrade only because there were 4 of us in one room.  The upgrade was worth it, about an extra $400-500 for the entire 5 night stay, because the room was satisfyingly large and spacious compared to the standard room with 2 queen beds.  In times past, there has not been an upcharge for a standard room.  Just straight points.  The bathroom was a skosh larger in the upgraded room, but both bathrooms were very nice with plenty of room.  And with each stay, it was Imperative (with a capital 'I') that we booked one year in advance using points.  If you have booked your room without specifying your intention of using points, I would call Marriott right away, as you will probably not be able to specify points this late in the game.  As far as proximity to Paris sights, either hotel is fine, as you can get just about anywhere in Paris within a few minutes on the metro.  The CE is close to AdT, PV close to Le Louvre et Place de la Concorde, but again, the metro puts you close to everything.  Additionally, walking is great fun in Paris, part of its charm.  The stroll down the CE towards Le Louvre is a must anyway (probably only about a mile, mile and a quarter from AdT to Le Louvre), to enjoy the beauty of the central part of the city.  I have personally investigated the following Marriott hotels while visiting Paris:  Place Vendome, Le Parc Trocadero, Renaissance Arc de Triomphe and Rive Gauche.  Each has it's own style, and one of the bloggers here is correct in that PV is more 'boutique'y in style, kind of fung shue-ish.  At the end of the day though, style is a matter of personal preference.  I thought I would like to vary my Paris experiences by staying at a different Marriott hotels with each visit, but after taking my 'field trip' to them all, I personally will not stray from the CE.  It's just simply beautiful and marvelously located.  To be sure, PV is well located also, just one street off Rue de Rivoli which abutts Le Louvre and Place de la Concorde.  Both hotels are excellent.  May you have a lovely and memorable Paris vacation whichever you decide.

Well put, lori!

Thanks for the continued responses. I am sorry that I have not checked in more frequently since I am still getting used to this posting format.

Anyway, I had initially picked the CE as it appeared the most 'glamorous'. When I booked using points some months ago it was only available with an 80 E night upgrade charge (five nights 160,000 pts). I also booked the RPV which was available with no upgrade cost. Subsequently the CE is no longer available and the RPV is available with  a 50E upcharge so I am glad I am booked in these properties.

The CE backers are truly pursuasive and I am now thinking for a first time visit (for my wife) that this might be more exciting,  I have a few months to make my 'final' decision and there is so much to do in Paris I am starting to think of dining and sightseeing options for our five days. It is much appreciated to receive feedback from experienced travelers in Paris with multiple visits under their belts. Thank you.

Also, just so you know, you will know, you now will be able to walk to the Louvre, metro line one which can get you all over,to the Musee d'Orsay, the Latin Quarter, the 6th arrondissement, the Marais, the CE, the Pompidou, Notre Dame, ands much more! Also, if you love art and beautiful-San Roch- which is blocks away! You will be intheheart of it all! Have a wonderful time!

lakeshore,

Here is something else that I really enjoy that you can walk to:

The Opera, Columns from the movie "Charade", The Obelisk, the oldest thing in Paris, given by Cleopatra!

DSCN0078_0064.jpgFH050036.jpgFH040002.jpg

So well put!

Shoeless,

You cannot go wrong, but I would do the CE.  You will enjoy it so much, and the memories will be great. 

Having stayed a both many times, I would go for CE.

Good luck, you will have a great time no matter where you decide.

cktaymd Platinum

Hi Jerry,

I have stayed at the Marriott CE and also at the Trocadero, only b/c I couldn't get my reservation w/ Marriott points at the RVD at the time.  You are in a terrific location for sightseeing; close to the Louvre, Tuelleries Garden, and also to the Seine for those leisurely strolls.  Our room (for 2) at the CE was very large w/ a small (french) balcony overlooking a back street, while our room at the Trocadero was much smaller w/ a small bathroom.......but here's the deal:  Your location in Paris is the important b/c there is so much to do you will (or should not) spend much time in your room except for sleeping and bathing.  Try out Willis Wine Bar  at 13 Rue des Petits Champs for a drink, Royal Madeline (now renamed Chez Monsieur http://www.royalmadeleine.com/find_us.php  restaurant in the Madeline area - both are within 1/2 - 3/4 mi. from your hotel. 

Candace

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I will be scheduling my 5th trip to the city in a few months. I think this time I'll save on points and reserve at the Renaissance at La Defense. The savings will be significant and I don't mind hopping aboard the Metro a few stops to get where I need to be.

Candice,

Always wanted to go to Willi's Wine Bar, and will have the chance in May. 

Have stayed there and really enjoyed it.  Shopping nearby is "Fashionable", to say the least.  Walking to the Left Bank is also very special.

Candice, maybe you thought I was asking, but it was the informative "Shoeless".  I am sure everyone will enjoy your suggestions.

Here is some great places close by:

IMG_1103.JPGIMG_1107.JPGKIF_0941.JPGKIF_0915.JPG

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Other Paris threads to check

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photoAlbums/1101          La Défense, Paris, France

paris rive gauche

Paris Rive Gauche

Paris Champs Elysees

Marriott Champs-Elysees Paris

Marriott Paris Champs-Elysees

The BEST place in Paris! (CE)

Paris Marriott C-E...virtual concierge???

Room for 4 at CE

Transportation from Airport to C-E

Renaissance Arc de Triomphe - Paris

Courtyard Marriiott Nueilly-Sur Seine

Renaissance Place Vendome

Paris Vendome

SusanL (Renaissance Vendome)

Thanks & CDG to Renaissance Le Parc Trocadero  (Renaissance Le Parc Trocadero)

Paris! "Never better!"   (Arc d'Triomphe trip report)

Surprise (discussion on Paris sights & hotels)

Paris Marriott C-E vs. Renaissance Paris Vendome

Paris CE or Place Vendome feedback please

First time in Paris in May - Arc de Triomphe or Parc Trocadero or Marriott C-E?First time in Paris in May - Arc de Triomphe or Parc Trocadero or Marriott C-E?

Which Marriott in Paris?

Paris, What Hotel?

Where to stay ?

Paris hotels

Help us choose our Paris hotel!

Paris in April-Marriott/Renaissance

Paris, France late April, early May which of the hotels have Executive Lounge any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you 

What location and hotel would you suggest for Paris.  I will be going in mid September.

list hotels close to downtown Paris

Best Hotel in London & Paris

Hotel and Metro in Paris (hotel airport transporation options)

Summer Travel Story Conclusion (Paris pictures)

Summer Travel Story (Paris Pictures Part 2)

Perks at Paris Charles De Gaulle Airport Marriott and the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel 

Parisian Hospitality!

Complementary breakfast for Platinum members in Paris?

My favorite Paris hotel...

Which Marriott in Paris       

Paris by Train

Paris nightlife

Paris in May ?

Happy Bastille Day- Paris Summer Story!  

Paris with kids

Parisien Dining - Le Marais.  Any suggestions?

Paris to Normandy

Best Hotel in London & ParisParis! "Never better!"

Marriott Paris Champs-Elysees

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...