29 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2013 5:04 PM by profchiara RSS

How Long Does Platinum Status Last?

thecamel Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

So I just made Platinum Elite status.

I've looked on the site and I can't see how long I remain Platinum..

Is it until the end of this year or the end of next year?

How many points do I need to renew this status?

Thanks in advance.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How Long Does Platinum Status Last?
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Congratulations on achieving Platinum Elite Status. It should remain valid until 02/13. Then you will need 75 nights in 2012 in order to maintain Platinum Elite Status.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

thecamel Platinum

Thanks for the reply!

Do the nights I stay for the remainder of 2011 count towards the renewal total?

Or is now a good time to redeem points?

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Congratulations thecamel!  Redeeming points should not have any effect on maintaining status.  What counts is the number of nights stayed.  Stays for the remainder of 2011 don't count for next years stay unless they decide to implement the rollover like they have the last year or two, and you have excess of what you needed to acheive your current level (more complex than that).  Rollover nights, and how they are calculated have been covered in several discussions.  Here is one that might help

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/15786#15786

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

What about PP?,

I guess if you are Lifetime, you no longer have to qualify?

Jerry, once you achieve Lifetime Platimum Status (LTP), you no longer need to qualify. And to achieve Platinum Premier Status (PP) you need to be in the top 3%. I am assuming that thecamel is not in these particular categories!!!!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Thanks to all for the information, I did not know all of this.

Congratulations to "Camel" for attaining Platinum status!

• How Long Does Platinum Status Last?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

You'll need to re qualify every year posting at least 75 nights (between bonus nights if you have the Visa Card, extra promotional nights, etc, and any roll ever nights from 2011).  In past years there was a way to buy status, assuming you held it, for another year.At one point cashing in 40,000 points would allow a renewal.  Ask the Platinum desk if this will be an ongoing thing since I have not checked on this for a few years (and as a lifer do not need it).

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Never heard of the cashing in of 40k points.  I'm always learning something new here!

Lone6star..as you know,m that is why we encourage Insiders to frequent this site, there is always something new to learn here!!!!

Caveat Emptor here--we are all continuing to be good stewards (no pun intended) and with the help of the Community Manager and other MR staff like Michelle, we hope to get to the bottom of any issue, thorny or not.

I can't guarantee that it will be offered again and the deal might not be visible until after the first of the year and only for a limited time (is that enough asterisks?) so check with the Platinum folks first.

The customer service said it may vary from year to year, or not be offered at al.  Kind of a moving target, but always worth checking out.  The way I understand it is, that if you were going to be dropped a level, they might let you buy it back with points, or issue you a challenge to stay a certain number of nights within a time period, to keep your level for another year.

sleepygal7 Platinum

Congrats and welcome to the Platinum Club!  Also, you should get your fancy Platinum Elite status card in the mail, which clearly shows an expiration date.  The odd part, is I never have to use that card, but I keep it in my wallet in case I ever get into an "Up in the Air" competition.  *laughing*  Good times!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi all,

There is a way to buy repeat Platinum status.  It showed up in my log-in possibilities at MRI a month ago, and then today I got an email asking me to use 40,000 points (which I could) to keep Platinum status -- or purchase points if I did not.  I deleted the message.  There seem so few reasons for maintaining high elite status, esp when I either must or probably should (based on proximity to what I need) stay in certain areas, that after the latest MR changes I see no reason to give 40,000 pts back for something where I receive fewer and fewer benefits.

ProfChiara

dalekana Platinum 2 Reviews

Can't you find all that online?

I haven't seen that online yet.  I ended up calling Customer Service and found that when you make platinum, you will usually have it for the partial year you made it, and usually for the full next year.  If you don't meet the 75 nights during that full year, you may lose it at the beginning of next year when your stays are evaluated.

I think you have a few weeks grace in January before the status is officially downgraded.  Most cards show an expiration date of February.

Yes, I think you are right.  It probably gives the system a chance to tally what happens up until the end of the previous year, and then decide whether certain ones should be extended or not, and send out paperwork, or an offer to extend by buying back with points, if the user is offered that.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi Tryt,

So be it - I no longer care.

ProfChiara

Can't you find all that by reading the welcome package?

Isn't all that spelled out in your welcome package?

Hi dalekana,

Would you mind deleting your extra posts?  There has been a lot of errors posting that have caused multiple postings (has happened to me too).  When you make a post and hit add reply and get the error, just refresh your browser screen, and if it asks if you want to leave the page, select yes to leave the page.  You will then see that your posting took.

profpoin Platinum

I can share how it works for me and I would assume same for all:

I must have earn 75 nights for Platinum level.  I have noted, for example,  if I have earned the 75 nights by December 31, 2012,  my Platinum membership is good for the entire year of 2013.  When I exceed the 75 night stay in on one year, the excess nights are carried over to the following year.

I would rarely stay 75 nights in one year; I sometimes schedule events (seminars) at a Marriott in my city and for each event I receive ten nights credit.

Of course, having the Marriott Platinum Credit Card is a big advantage in earning points.

I realize this is an elementary condensation of a fairly complex system but this is a start that others can add to! profpoin

profpoin Platinum

I have been a Marriott Platinum member for more than a decade.  During this time, I have not seen a varying or arbitrary requirements for attaining and remaining  a Platinum Member.  Yes, I would expect that Marriott has the prerogative to change the terms but I would certainly expect the announcement prior to any change.  As some have stated above, however, finding the terms in print has often been difficult.  When I had a  question about life-time Platinum Member status I resorted to a phone call - the number on the membership card.  profpoin

andypetty Platinum

Congrats Profpoin on a decade at Platium.  I'm from the UK and to get Platinum membership here is tough as there are only 50 odd hotels.  However I've just got Platinum status and my card arrived today - trouble is, I can't see that you get anything else above Gold except 50% points on spend instead of 25%.There is mention of a "Gift" upon check in, but somehow I can't see that being anything other than some different toiletries.  Am I missing something?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...