19 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2011 11:45 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Broadway Show Tickets

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

(1)  What are the best ways to buy tickets for Broadway shows?

(2)  What current shows would you recommend seeing?

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York City, New York, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Tysons Corner
  • Re: Broadway Show Tickets
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Razorback,

Try to see the guy, Dave Cremin, doing "Greatest Card Trick of All Time".  He's a magician who is a rage on U-Tube.  It will be a lot less expensive than seeing a Broadway Show. 

For the shows I really want to see, I bought them directly from the Theatre or on-line.  There was a "Discount ticket outlet" in front of The Marquis on my last trip.  The lines were really long.

People have been writing about "The Book of Mormon", but I have not seen it yet, but will.

My favorites were Les Miserable and Phantom.  Last year say "Holiday Inn" (Sorry Marriott!) and it was very appropriate this time of the year!

Good luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    New York City, New York, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Tysons Corner
      retired Platinum

The discount ticket outlet in time square is called TIX. They have tickets at a discount (I think about 30%), not all shows are available. You need to line up about 30 minutes before they open (I think its 9 or 10) to get the good shows. If you are unable to get tickets from TIX for the show your looking for you can go to the theater the day of the performance about 4:00 p.m and they will open up unsold or return tickets for that day.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I saw Book of Mormon in September and would highly recommend it for adults..(not for children)..Winner of 2011 Tony - Best Musical and 9 other Tony's!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Mormon_(musical)

Thread on Book of Mormon!!!

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/28545#28545

sleepygal7 Platinum

WICKED!  It is, by far, my favorite!  I've seen it 5 times...three in NYC, once in Chicago, and once in LA.  It's great for all ages, and the humor is fabulous...as well as the story line.  Also, not a bad seat in the house on Broadway.  Huge theater, one of my favorite venues.

Lion King - very impressive and the costumes are amazing.  Most know the story, but the theatrics are out of this world!  Modern, large theater.  Try for middle section.

Jersey Boys - I loved this one also.  Good looking men, great music, and an intriguing story.  I'm not sure kids would have a good time...seemed to be all adults, who would appreciate the story and music.

Chicago...I wasn't impressed.  It was okay, the theatre was old and small seats and very cramped.  I paid the most for these tickets, and I just couldn't get into the play.  Sorry to those who may love it...

Legally Blonde...total chick-play.  It was a fun night out with the gals...

Full Monty...it was a hoot!  I laughed most of the time and couldn't understand them the other half.  Not sure it's still there...but loved it.

Hope this helps...

Oh, and tickets...I have snagged good ticket prices online and through concierge at hotels in NYC.  The concierge has great package deals for 4 or more people...

Good luck and enjoy!

Yes...Jersey Boys and Wicked rank in my top 3 also. My top 10 are as follows:

1. Book of Mormon

2. Jersey Boys

3. Wicked

4. Rent

5. Phantom of the Opera

6. Miss Saigon

7. Mamma Mia

8. Evita

9. Jesus Christ Super Star

10 Sound of Music.

sleepygal7 Platinum

ps - Go Gamecocks!  I couldn't resist...once I saw the "razorbackfan" screenname

This is not a correct answer!  Sorry.......

Go Arkansas!!!

Thanks, Jasper.  Just cancelled my New Orleans reservations for the Sugar Bowl.  I kept hoping the BCS folks would change their mind and invite us to a BCS Bowl...I sure hope they change the 2 team limit for a conference.  Woo pig sooie.

Woo pig sooie is a new one for me....I will root for Arkansas as long as they are not playing Florida State University. Go Seminoles - Beat the Irish!!!!

greendalejill Platinum

tkts is on 47th Street between Broadway and 7th Avenue.  It opens at 10:00 am on Wednesdays and Saturdays for the matinees.  They are open at 3:00 pm for the evening performances  and ticket range from 30% to 50% off the box office prices  They open on Sundays at 11:00 am  Not all shows are listed (LION KING, BOOK OF MORMON and WICKED are never there).  If you arrive one hour before the line opens, you will be amazed how fast the line moves.  Otherwise if you are there an hour after they open the line will be shorter.  They have lots of tickets you can always find something.  There are people there to answer questions regarding the different plays.

There is a ticket broker on the third and eighth floor of the Marquis, but the ticket prices are much higher than if you go to the theater itself.  They sometimes have ticket to those hard to find available shows, but you will pay more.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I think with TIX you have to pay in full with cash, no credit cards right?

greendalejill Platinum

They now take credit cards and some shows have a lottery if you go to the theater two hours before the play they draw names out of a hat and you will have the opportunity to get them for about $30 for each (you can buy 2).  WICKED     and   BOOK OF MORMON have lotteries.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Thanks for the update!  I'm on a streak---2 days in a row, I learned something new on this site!

greendalejill Platinum

Tkts now takes credit cards and some shows have a lottery if you go to the theater two hours before the play they draw names out of a hat and you will have the opportunity to get them for about $30 for each (you can buy 2).  WICKED     and   BOOK OF MORMON have lotteries.

greendalejill Platinum

Tkts now takes credit cards and some shows have a lottery about two hours before show time.  Some shows have a rush in the morning for discount tickets and if you have a student id, you can sometimes get a discount ticket at the theater the day of the performance

Thanks to everyone who is replying.  I wish I could give all of you "helpful answer" points.

• Broadway Show Tickets
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

IM me for additional details on getting in cheaper to shows.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Yes,  this is so valuable to NYC show seekers, and Marriott customers..

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...