11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2011 10:54 AM by NathalieF RSS

Putting a "Maximum" amount on post responses, then Vol. 2

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Would it make sense that after the first 10 to 25 responses on a particular post, that subsequent posts automatically initiate something like "Vol. 2"?

Many of our most popular posts get 50+ responses.  Sadly, if many of you are like me, you see a "Good" topic "Die", because you just can't "Wade" through the sheer mass of responses.

At least that way you could follow a "Hot Topic" easier and keep it "Fresh", if it deserved to be followed. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Putting a "Maximum" amount on post responses, then Vol. 2
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Sounds good to me..probably worth following up with the community manager to see if the system can do this???

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I guess the thing I find so difficult trying to read thru a thread on this version of Insiders is that they are not sequential from first to last, but rather in order as to whichever post they are responding to.  So if I get an update in my communications list, it likely makes no sense if it's responding to an earlier post rather than the last, or most recent, post.  Using a "part 2" might work, but just putting all posts in consecutive order would be much easier reading for me.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

That's a possibility, sure. We'll branch out conversations that grow too long and begin to deviate from the initial topic. So in addition to the number of replies  we'll also be looking at relevance. Feel free to share threads with me or our stewards that may benefit from branching out a portion of the discussion.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

What's the possibility at looking at the ability to collapse layers of threads (like the + and - feature to expand or collapse any level below any level?

• Putting a "Maximum" amount on post responses, then Vol. 2
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I am not sure that will solve the issue Jerry. Rather there should be a way to branch out from a topic, and have that show on the communications list.  Perhaps a list that shows only the poster and the time posted that could be expanded by us with a click? Gmail has this feature and it makes reading a reply to email much simpler!

NU, may have the answer, just keep the posts in "Order of post".  At least you could go to the original post, and then go to the actual "Latest" post.

The only problem with that, is that if you can't put it like it is (posting under what you are replying to), conversations don't make sense if you want to get in the middle of a thread and respond to a specific question or statement.  We would need the ability to flip back and forth.

Tryt,

Good point!  I had not thought of that. 

The problem I have, when I see 40+responses it sort of concerns me that the subject is "Exhausted".  If there was some way to keep the posts "Fresh".

I'm still in favor of adding the ability of putting a + and - beside a posting that would allow you to expand or collapse everything below it (children of just the level you collapse.  That way a whole nesting under one sub-level would just turn into an entry with a + by it.  Hit the + and it becomes a - (like you see many browsers and applications do already) and you see all the nested comments.  It could make conversations easier to wade through.  I still agree with Branching other topics into another discussion.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

the way I, and most others I believe, responded on the old version of Insiders was to cut and paste the comments we were responding to and put quotes around them at the beginning of the response, maybe even change the color to draw attention to the fact that the new post was in response to something.  Even with my basic ability to maneuver around the computer, I found the old way a whole lot simpler than the current design.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

I like the ideas! We'll keep those in mind for future updates to the site. Until then, feel free to use whichever method you prefer (linking between threads, copy/paste, tags, etc.) and we'll branch posts out as necessary.