28 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2011 11:18 AM by mmoore29 RSS

Upgrade on Nights paid with points

sethsothell Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Just a quick question from a youngster who is now using his points for the first time on a two-night stay: As a platinum member, can I expect to be upgraded to a higher room category on nights I paid with points at a Courtyard? I'm aware I won't get free breakfast at Courtyard (btw, Marriot, WHY?), so the least I'd expect is an upgrade.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Upgrade on Nights paid with points
    sleepygal7 Platinum

Welcome to points-paid travel, it's the best.  As a fellow platinum member, the hotel treats me the same no matter how I'm paying for the stay.  I've always been upgraded, and I've used Marriott domestically and international for points-paid stays. 

Also, that's a great question about Courtyard, I usually avoid them for my reward stays because I enjoy the other hotel options that offer free breakfast and executive loung access.  I do love the new upgrades to Courtyard in general, so they're a big part of my business travel despite the lack of free snackage.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Sleepy,

Your experiences are most similar to mine.  I don't always get upgraded, but most of the time I do.

• Upgrade on Nights paid with points
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I guess I am in the minority here since the associates can tell who is on points and who is not.  I have had less than stellar luck with upgrades at full-service Marriotts, but great success when paying for the room.

SS,

I hope my luck does not change, but I did get a room upgrade at every Marriott and Ren. I can remember staying at this year.  Especially Europe with some spectacular rooms, even on points.  Now I never count on upgrades, because it there is no space, so be it!

Never have called the property ahead as others have done, but Platinum Hotline folks have requested "Upgrades, when available", on my reservations.

Well I wish you luck Jerry--the upgrade business is a murky one, and as a Lifer and a PP I would hope there is some kind of pecking order for getting the darn things, but given human nature, time of day, revenue needs, etc, it may not happen.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I have been lucky in the past in getting suite upgrades using points although lately it has been more difficult...probably the watering down of the Platinum Elite Status making it much easier to achieve the status, has contributed to the difficulty in getting suite upgrades or appropriate customer care!!!

I know that hotels want to make the rooms get the highest rate they can and that they will deal if tyou check in later for a walk-in with no rez rather than leave a room or suite empty, but recently it seems (NY Marquis as an example last month) they have been very adamant about no upgrades at all.

After hearing about your experience, I am sure I would have spent on night, but moved to the REN, or CY Times Square South, the next day.  Likewise, I would have called the hot line, or had the front desk do it, and getting a 24 hour "Over ride", if needed when making the reservation.

sethsothell Platinum

Thanks for your replies, everyone! I will be staying at the Courtyard Munich East in January and I will let you know whether they upgraded me. It'll be my first stay at a European Marriott. My "upgrade record" at American properties has been rather poor so far, which is most likely related to the fact that I usually stay at Residence Inn hotels. I received a very nice upgrade at Springhill Suites Chicago / O'Hare - they upgraded me to a larger suite with a beautiful view of the city. All in all, the Springhill O'Hare is a very well-run property. Again, thanks for your replies, I just wanted to make sure that upgrades on nights booked with points are generally possible.

Seth,

Good luck with this new hotel!  We will be interested in your report and some pictures if possible.  I don't know if you have been to Munich before, but if there is anything I can help you with, myself and others will try to save you some time and money.  It is a great place to go, and remember you can take the train from the airport to town and it will save you some money if you don't have too many bags.

Here is a place that is one of my favorites along with the HofBrau House:

FH060005.jpgDSCN0148_0117.jpgNever had a better "Dog" than from here!  MarionPlatz.

kauairesident Platinum 1 Reviews

Stayed at Marquis 2 weekends ago and got a great upgrade.

Was it an upgrade to a suite? or corner room? or times square view???

juanma Gold 10 Reviews

Last year on points I booked 2 rooms on points and got joint rooms.  One was a suite and both had stunning times square views.  Last weekend I went back on points and did not get as nice of a view and rooms were not upgraded... but they were still FREE! 

Great--glad someone is getting these there

SS,

Once, I ordered an upgrade, (Room on points) and offered to pay $150/night to do it.  Totally prepared to pay the extra charge at check-in, they waived the extra charge, and still gave me a wonderful upgrade.  This meant a lot as I was not alone, and had I been it would not have mattered as much.

Yes, the PP and Black Marriott Card may have been the difference, but I thanked the hotel for their upgrade. 

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

My business travels take me to the same 2 or 3 hotels throughout the year.  Since I am a regular at these hotels, and everyone knows me, I get automatic upgrades without even asking.  When I do cash in points for leisure travel with my family, I have yet to be turned down for an upgrade.  It could be my timing, or being lucky!

Yes, but enquiring minds want to know whether these are suite (sweet) upgrades????

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Yes they are.  I am on my last leg of a 3-week fly in and out.  Each week when I check out, I reserve the same room for the following week.  And it's not as if the hotel is empty.  The capacity rate is about 90 - 95 percent each week, so its not like the hotel is empty for them to provide it.  Again, I've been here many times throughout the year, so everyone knows my name (just like on Cheers)!  I could easily stay at many other hotels in close distance to here, so I guess this is how they reward me for being loyal, besides knowing that I am a Platinum member.

As well they should!  Recognition is a reward we all crave and often do not get!  Congratulations on being remembered.  Too bad they can't yell "Norm" as they did in Cheers?

Can you buy me a lottery ticket?

Have had many upgrades on points, and hope it continues.

gpurvis Platinum 1 Reviews

I am a PP member and have had much better luck with upgrades at full service Marriotts than at any of the lesser brands. The only problem is.... the upgrade could be so slight that you may not even realize that you have gotten an upgrade. for instance, highway view compared to parking lot, etc... I have never gotten an upgrade to a suite, even though I rent many for business meetings.  Also, my biggest gripe is not giving free breakfast to Platinum members at ALL Marriott properties, this is called loyalty.  if you are paying or using a reward certificate, it is the same to the hotel and hey should treat you like the one of the top tier customers that you are.

I am a PP member and have had much better luck with upgrades at full service Marriotts than at any of the lesser brands. The only problem is.... the upgrade could be so slight that you may not even realize that you have gotten an upgrade. for instance, highway view compared to parking lot, etc... I have never gotten an upgrade to a suite, even though I rent many for business meetings.  Also, my biggest gripe is not giving free breakfast to Platinum members at ALL Marriott properties, this is called loyalty.  if you are paying or using a reward certificate, it is the same to the hotel and hey should treat you like the one of the top tier customers that you are.

mmoore29 Gold

I usually get the upgrades 75% of the time w/o asking. The properties I frequent I never have to ask. I am going to try this Monday in New Orleans at a full service Marriott and use points for my stay so lets see if they do an upgrade. I am PP for 2 years.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...