21 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2011 4:07 PM by ssindc RSS

cheap

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Rate Card.bmp.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Arlington, Virginia, USA
McLean, Virginia, USA Courtyard By Marriott JW Marriott Hotel Santo Domingo
  • Re: cheap
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

steppingstones, what year was that from?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Based on the lack of zip codes in the address it is pre-1961.  And the Alpha phone number makes it around 1958 or so.  Note the DC address and the routes around the Pentagon now replaced by I-395. My guess 1958 or 1959

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

SS,

From looking at the amenities, would this have been about late 50's or early 60's at best?  Let the outdoor pool be unheated, and you have the ice rink in the winter that they advertised.  Thanks for sharing this piece of travel history with us!  I would LOVE to get a room at that price now.  What a cool idea for Marriott to have a one-night stay at the old prices for a publicity promo some time.

Given the rate of inflation since 1959 and the costs of good and services, I would multiply those prices by nine to get an equivalent rate today.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

Where do you come up with things like this?

It is so amazing to think about what things cost back then.  How about what gas prices were at this point in history.  The lowest gas prices I remember was 19.9 cents per gallon.  Gas wars are now long gone.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I remember gas prices at 13.9 cents.

I also remember just after college taking a job and being promoted a couple of times to a district working on the road for a petroleum company in Boston who shall remain unnamed. Now, remember the oil embargo back in 1974 and how the gas 'shortage' required us to sit in gas lines waiting to get our gas for the cars on odd or even days? Some places even limited the amount of gas a person could buy on a given day. Remember those incredible lines waiting to buy whatever gas we could? The good thing was I didn't because of who I worked for.

Remember Paul Harvey? And now....the rest of the story........the company I worked for had closed about thirty or so locations. Said there was 'no need' to keep them open since the available gasoline supply could be easily sold by the stations that remained. My boss at the time had a 'special' project for me. Go to the closed locations and meet a supply truck....I did.....and when they filled the underground tanks from those fuel trucks I had been given special locking mechanisms to lock the fuel in those underground tanks. No, they weren't opening the stations to sell the supply, they were 'storing' it.

After doing this in about thirty or so locations (about 900,000 gallons of gasoline), I asked the President of the company what the deal was and I will never forget his words to me.......'I have three tankers sitting in International waters off the Massachusetts coast...my tank farm in Chelsea (Mass) is full and I have no place to put the fuel on those tankers out in the water and they won't let me open the spigot and sell what we have stockpiled because the formula they use isn't high enough yet to get the price point they want' (anyone remember the price point formula dictated by the government R+M/a certain fraction to get the pump price?).

And so the lines continued.......

I found another line of work....

I recall those lines and odds and even days

Tef,

Really enjoyed your post! 

Sadly, many people today, don't want to hear about the past nor appreciate it's simplicity.  I know we can't go back, but can we find some "Shelter"?

From the net:

Cost of Living 1959

How Much things cost in 1959

Yearly Inflation Rate USA    1.01%      

Yearly Inflation Rate UK     0.9%     

Average Cost of new house  $12,400.00  

Average Yearly Wages  $5,010.00  

Cost of a gallon of Gas 25 cents 

Average Cost of a new car $2,200.00  

Movie Ticket $1.00 

Loaf of Bread  20 cents 

Kodak Movie camera $67.50 

Ladies Stockings $1.00

SS,

My dad bought the first new car of his life in 1959.  It was a Ford Fairlane.  It was so special because I got to go with him to pick it out.

It was the beginning of "Travel" as a desire of mine.  Wow, that was a long time ago!

My dad sold his car at the beginning of 1941 to make a down payment on the house where I grew up.  After the war we got a car in 1949, a Mercury as my Mom tells it, with horsehair seats.  I was also allegedly in the rumble seat (pre-seat belts) of an uncle's car whipping down the highways.  Ah yes, those carefree days!

SS,

A '49 Mercury had to be a classic today.  Did Mercury have the "Port holes", on the front sides of the car?  I can't remember if it was Mercury or Buick.  A Mercury was a step away from a Lincoln, and was an impressive car, especially back then.

Jerry this was like the car and I think the color, though this is a stock photo.  Buick had the portholes, but Mercury had the Grille!

49 merc.jpg

SS,

That's a "Classy" car!

Sure was

This was a rate card from my Marriott collection at my Ambassador emeritus museum  Actually it is a card that was mailed to folks in the DC area when they asked about rates.

SS,

I still can't get over that "Golf cart", in DC/VA that took you to your room!

We used to go to Clyde's, I don't know if it still there but loved the Chile and was it wild!  If I were "King", I would not let anyone go to "Disney World" without first proving they had been to Washington, D.C.!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Jerrycoin - if you're talking about Clydes near the Verizon center, it's still there, and they have, in my opinion, the best reuben sandwich in DC.

Clyde's is still around and busy as ever.

Just remember it as an interesting place.

Used to stay at the Marriott in McLean, Va and go to Clyde's and Evans Farm Inn.  Ralph Evans was President of the Nat. Rest. Assn. and was a great host of a memorable place.

Location Brand Hotel
    McLean, Virginia, USA Courtyard By Marriott JW Marriott Hotel Santo Domingo
      ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

OK, let's see

• the Clyde's originally discussed, above (if I'm correct), at Tysons has now been there for 30+ years, and it's still there (along with the not-for-the-wee-folk mural), and doing a brisk business;
      • there are now a fair number of other Clyde's - it's quite the little chain....
        • the one in Georgetown - the original - has been there a loooong time;
        • the one by the Verizon Center is relatively new, but the Babe Ruth painting/mural is terrific;
        • the one in Northern Virginia/Alexandria/Mark Center does quite well, because it has so little competition in the area;
        • there's one out at the Reston Town Center, which also does nicely - that's a busy little commercial district now;
        • the others, that I haven't been to, are in Chevy Chase and Columbia in Maryland.
      • and, of course, Clyde's owns 1789, which a number of us have drooled over in this space in the past....

Conversely, Evans Farm Inn is no more - it's now fully developed and, well, residential.  Many thing that's a shame...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...