14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2011 2:40 PM by jasper100 RSS

Have one?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

cell phone.jpgI remember attending a public event with a US Government Cabinet Secretary in the early 1980s when an advance man pulled one of these "cell" phones out of a black bag to call someone at the White House. I was amazed at the ability of this instrument to transmit and receive calls without wires, and its compact size.

Never owned one myself and hoped that someday they'd be cheaper to use.

And so it goes.

Anyone own one of these things?  Fess up.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Have one?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

Yes, I have a "Blackberry", but wish I never had to have a cell phone.  Business today demands it for me.  Try not to use it anymore than I have to.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Amen to that Jerry--my days of carrying a pager (remember those?) haunt me still--it was like and electronic leash.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

SS:

I do remember those 'pager' days....then, the cell phones. Ugh! One could never get away. But, I got smarter as I got older.

During my last turnaround stint before retirement, the rule with my senior execs was....'there are about 140 employees here. Someone must have the right answer to resolve an issue that arises so give it a shot. Unless the building is burning down, don't call me on my cell. I trust you to fix the problem...or wait until I come back and tell me that you had no clue what to do.......then we'll chat about something else....'

I NEVER got a call, but did get plenty of people to 'step up' and resolve issues. Now, isn't that what it's all about?

Today, my wife and a couple of family members have my cell number. The cell has no texting or web capability at all. Basic calls only. Me and an I-Phone....forget it.

Well said.  As a govie the pagers we had were "nuclear powered" or so it seemed and worked in the most out-of-range and inaccesbile places, including the Kennedy Center (when I thought I had turned them off). I was not sure anyone sitting next to us was impressed--I did leave and answer my page from a subordinate who should have known the answer to the question that he asked but assumed that getting my acquiescence would make things better.

Ah yes....the 'ringer' who always seems to think that calling on the cell to tell about a resolved issue or calling about an issue they could have resolved that thinks we are glad to get the call.....

I found, TEF, that the needing reassurance factor never went away. I used to marvel at the "what do you think?" questions thrown my way, and threw a few of them myself. 

I also recall being seated next to the boss (DCI) at an NIE meeting (you'll have to goggle those terms so I don't get in trouble here with the company), in an attempt to get me to change my and my organization's view on a matter.  The close space between seats notwithstanding, it was a trying time and I wished for a page to interrupt the tension, forgetting that this place was so heavily swept for bugs that not even a pacemaker was safe inside (and no, I did not have one then or now).

But back to hotels, I wish it were true that every associate at a Marriott had the ability (and desire) to make things happen, to delight a guest with an unexpected upgrade, to give the most frequent stayers a hearty welcome and make every effort to ensure that every need is met, even those we haven't seen or asked for yet!

Teff and SS,

Yes, this is well said!  I have only been to one place to dine (Perry's Deli, Chicago) that "Blocked" cell phone calls. There was a sign stating so on the front door.  The guy I was with didn't see the sign and tried talking inside and set off a siren.  By the way we stayed at The very nice Ren. on Michigan Ave. at the Chicago River.

Yesterday, I was sitting in a Mong. BBQ place and the lady (?) next to my table was talking loudly on her cell phone, using the SPEAKERPHONE!

Too much for me, I left.

I mentioned in Insiders 1.0 that I was seated at a small Main Street diner in Chatham MA (our summer home) two years ago and minding my own business when a fellow came in talking loudly into his cell phone. Another customer, the head of the local shell-fishing concern, reached in his pocket and pushed a button on the small box in his hand, disconnecting that loud person's call.  After two more tries and tow more disconnects the fellow on the phone looked askance at the device and walked out, to applause from the seated crowd! 

Yes, I know that these devices are illegal, and yes they are for sale in many places on the net, but the crime in this case was worth the punishment for the caller and his phone.

Never heard of this, but I would buy stock in a "Cell phone blocker" company! 

I can see their may be a place in the future where cell phones may be blocked in many places, ie hotel lobbies, check-out lanes, drive-thru's, etc.

I have been told that simple measures can be used to prevent cell signals inside buildings.  Not that I would do that kind of thing, and no I do not know Alex Baldwin either!

I think there are a lot of folks who talk on their cell that don't realize how LOUD they are. In a restaurant at a nice location where the 'ambiance' is a part of the experience, it's really just rude when someone interrupts the armosphere with their bloated commentary on that cell unit. I usually bite my tongue and wait for a member of the restaurant family to deal with it. If they don't, I ask them how much they are crediting everyone's bill for allowing that individual to ruin the night we are all there for. That usually gets a manager to deal with it......

I tried to have a Concierge Lounge at the Santa Clara Marriott (in the heart of silicon valley) declared a no-cell phone area, without success.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

No..I do not have one!!!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

And I don't want one!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...