10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2011 3:45 PM by profchiara RSS

Article on Social Media with Reference to Marriott

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Interesting article from May about the impacts, both negative and positive, of social media on the travel industry.  I noticed that the article refers to the Marriott Rewards Insider site, but I think that was before the V3 of the site?  I noticed another interesting thing about Twitter and the quick response it got from Marriott when a problem was tweeted (definitely not the way I would have escalated the problem).  I am one of the probably few, who does use Twitter to my advantage, and thought a few others might like to read about a benefit from it.  We have used it for about a year when we found the construction that we have to drive through every day (for a 1 1/2 year project), was going to start tweeting the status of the work.  In the last year we have been able to monitor when things were going to happen (like what areas are getting paved that morning and what alternate route would keep you from sitting in line for 30 minutes, or when they had hit a water line and how long it would be before we had water again.  Once, when we couldn't get any answer to the phone messages we left twice, after a couple of days we tweeted the question and got 2 responses within an hour.  Social Media is going to be part of our lives, and businesses have seen that they have to use it to compete with the rest of the world.

The part about tweeting a problem to Marriott International was not a path I would have taken, unless all other routes had failed, but the Twitter feeds can have a valid use.

http://www.insideflyer.com/articles/article.php?key=6911

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Article on Social Media with Reference to Marriott
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi Tryt53,

Fascinating article!  Although I am totally averse to most social network sites, I have used twitter ever since I traveled to Egypt.  After the revolution was mostly over, news coverage pretty much stopped, so I used it to learn what was happening. I also feel much more comfortable with twitter since I use a pseudonym and an alternative email address and never share anything personal. But having read this article, I would not hesitate to tweet a Marriott or other experience that fell below expectations.  I should have thought of that when the Rive Gauche so horribly disappointed me many months ago.

Thanks, ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Glad you liked it. I really am trying hard to make this a site, as many people possible, will want to come to, share and learn from on travel, and still have fun that doesn't get distracting.  That is my new goal!

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Mmmmm ... very interesting.  Makes me wonder if this would not have been a better route for the non-USA Marriott Reward Visa CC debate?

That is so funny.  The same thought was just running through my mind in the last little while too!  Talk about spooky parallel thoughts!  Have you signed up for Twitter and do you have the Marriott International site?  I'm pretty sure I already have that on my twitter feeds if you need any help.

Spookyyy!  I've not used Twitter yet ... I'll check it out.

chrisf,

You might want to delete the extra postings that just showed up on your previous response.

Thanks tryt53.  I don't know what happened there.  I kept getting an error message stating that my message could not be sent and was then locked from doing anything with the message. 

Sound familiar? 

Seems to be lots of errors related to the new site.  I hope they get them ironed out.  I would love to get a job the contractors who are doing this site, to do extensive regression/integration/unit testing.  Oh well.

fhllast4ever Platinum

Thanks to you for sharing this article.  I hate facebook and I never pay attention to twitter, although I know it worked well in

Egypt's revolution.  If  a problem in a hotel stay gets prompt solution, as opposed to letters and multiple phone calls,

then I will use twitter from now on.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi fhllast4ever,

I too am a hater of Facebook and will never use it.  I started using Twitter because of the Egyptian Revolution. I was in Cairo and Luxor a month before the Revolution and got to know lots of people and had the most amazing (by far) trip of a lifetime and desperately want to go back.  I found Twitter useful once news channels got tired of covering things.  One thing many non-twitter users may not know is that you can do so on your computer (the only way I do it because of my arthritis).  And it's much more anonymous (if you work it that way) than Facebook.

But I think for all of us it comes down to what we're comfortable with.  I am very comfortable with twitter, though I only use it for news and current events despite its ridiculous suggestions for trending content that I could care less about.

ProfChiara

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...