12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2012 6:22 AM by arkwright RSS

MR Insiders site: fundamental weakness

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

As I read the endless flow of complaints on this site - some repeated (upgrades, points loss etc), some of a newer currency (the UK/European VISA debacle) - I find it increasingly difficult to avoid reaching the conclusion that these are not issues I should be reading about on a website dedicated to travel-related matters. This is not to say that, in many cases, they are not valid (I've contributed myself to some of the arguments), but that:

a)     they are more properly the concern of a "Customer Service" or, if more fundamental, "Customer Relations" department - with its own dedicated, resourced site.

b)     if they were steered to a dedicated site of this type, staffed by people with a training and knowledge resource related specifically to handling this type of issue, the likelihood is that the issues themselves would be resolved (or at least better handled) and that site users would be more satisfied, more often.

The problem with the present arrangement is that too many grievances are being brought for resolution to a site which is arguably neither designed  nor resourced for that purpose. It is reasonable to expect that fellow travellers might be able to help each in certain respects, but not where the issue relates to Marriott, or individual hotel, policy, procedure and/or performance. We cannot be expected to stand proxy for  the Marriott organisation on issues that are outwith our information/competence

The result is that those with grievances get increasingly irritated with the lack of response from MRI; those who wish to read and learn about travel prospects rather than personal issues get frustrated; and lastly - in all fairness - the MRI staff must get more than a little disturbed about increasingly being expected  to play a role - i.e. Customer Service - that is, I presume, at best a very small part of their job specification 

If there is any logic to these thoughts, the resolution must surely lie in creating a dedicated Customer Service site; then in specifying very clearly the routes to it, and likely outcomes from it.

At the moment, we have a confusion of functions leading to a mismatch of expectations.

A

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: MR Insiders site: fundamental weakness
    heathymountain Platinum

AMEN!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings arkwright, your argument is well taken. In fact, we're now working with our peers in Customer Care to soon establish a dedicated section within the community where complaints or questions can be answered by our knowledgeable associates. Thanks for the great idea and we'll keep the community updated on our progress!

Andy/Tryt3, Thanks for yours. Good luck and a very Happy Christmas and Successful 2012. A

Greetings arkwright - In case you haven't seen yesterday's update, I wanted to let you know we've implemented these areas for Customer Support questions.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I am very irritated at this site for what was put on the profile.  I've tried to edit using your instructions on FAQ and haven't had any luck in deleting my husband's ID #.  I never put that there and can't imagine why anyone else would have!!!!  I never would have listed his level as Platinum, either.  This is further proof that it's wasn't info provided by me.  His level is PP and I would have stated the premier since I'm new and wouldn't have thought to have deleted that.  If this additional info isn't deleted (since I didn't add it and the instructions won't address this), further steps will have to be taken, although I don't know what at this point.  This might be the reason someone was able to sign in at the hotel recently so that I had to show proof of Larry's ID number and it just is making me madder. 

Since I couldn't find a way to address this on FAQ, I had to try to find another place that it would be halfway appropriate to post.

Greetings eb5147 - If you wouldn't mind sending me a direct message with details about your recent stay I can help look into the situation for you. Regarding your Insiders' profile, you're correct that Platinum Premier members appear as Platinum within Insiders. That's been a discussion point for some time and we're looking into making that adjustment. Here are the different badges, What badges will I find on individual profiles? Individual Elite status levels are determined upon signing into the community so they can not be reconfigured or "faked". Also upon signing in, individual Marriott Rewards numbers are also pulled into each individual's profile - but ONLY that member can see their account number. How do I manage my privacy settings? Hope this is helpful.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

That's great that they can only be viewed by the person they actually belong to.  Maybe that should be made clear so that nobody thinks all of their personal ID info is available to everyone.  If it is already there, then maybe a sig line could be added for each person that it's only available with the particular IP address or computer signed in on.  I don't know how it would be handled, but I do know that nobody should have to be needlessly concerned of it's being freely given out.

As far as the hotel, it was supposed to have been handled by CS already.  I called them last Monday, Mar. 5, 2012; but I do thank you for your offer to help there, also.

What happened there at the NW CY, Columbia, SC was that we checked in abt. 7 pm and were told someone had already checked into our room at 10:11 a.m. under our name and we had to show ID and Marriott card.  I asked if they had also been charged to our credit card several times and was never given an answer.  CS said that we had to hand a card over for it to be charged, but I know that's not true or nobody would be charged for a no-show and they wouldn't have to have a card number on file, so who did she think she was fooling?  CS connected me with the property and the really nice young man told me the people had been immediately checked out, like about 10:14 a.m.  (So why did their check-in even pose a problem at 7 pm for us?)  He asked if we were traveling with someone and I told him it was just my son and I together.  He then told me that someone else that I was traveling with had the same name.  That was an immediate response after I'd just told him I wasn't with anyone else, and I said "NO, NO, NO!  I just told you we weren't with anyone else.", and I hung up.  It was all so irritating.  I called CS again and after explaining several times again to several people, the last CS rep understood and told me they would have 4 - 5 weeks to respond.  But that episode seemed like a comedy of errors, even though everyone was really nice.   

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Great idea arkwright!  I'm glad to hear the CM in agreement, as I'm sure the bulk of us are too!

dblanz Gold 2 Reviews

Thanks to arkwright and Marriott for recognizing that we need to communicate with customer support on individual problem. We should keep this for travel issues and recurring problems.

• MR Insiders site: fundamental weakness

Andy,

Thanks for alerting me to this. You and your colleagues have clearly given a lot of thought to how best to sharpen the appearance and impact of the Site. I hope your efforts are rewarded. AS you say, time will tell.

A

mortgagephil Platinum 4 Reviews

Yes and no.  When I first started poking around here I wondered why I was poking around here. lol.   Then, after I got past that, I started seeing alot of what I interpreted as complaints and thought that it was silly to see people complain about getting a reward.

However, as I embarked out on my 2012 trips I began to notice inconsistencies with the product.  The product is MR. MR is about really two things 1. Customer Service and 2. Points (to be traded for items such as free night stays).   This in return for utilizing the product.  Fine, we get that.

Herein lies the issue and the paradox - - this site is an excellent resource for those at Marriott to review the actual experiences of the client.

For example use my actual experiences, the Marriott Albany throws me on the 4th floor w/out an upgrade as a Platinum while at the same time checking in a Gold and upgrading him to Concierge.  Or another time at the same Albany Marriott they put me in a regular room and there is no one else checking in (on a saturday when it was half empty). 

Or, for example, reading threads I've learned that people get Pl for Life and Gold for Life.  And, i've learned how

Additionally, I've learned that Platinum individuals have gotten upgraded to suites and not just to Concierge level rooms (even though there is no promise or guarantee of that with the Platinum program)

One can view me as either an indulgent fool - -

or

Marriott can say "hm, the experience we're trying to create is a loyalty program that rewards stays with tiers for loyalty that hands out upgrades, good customer service and points for free nights.  By viewing these comments we at marriott have a choice:  A. we can view it as someone with a gripe or B. We can use this as a tool to see if we're delivering the product as we expect and to see which properties are excelling, which are failing, which may have had a bad night by trending the comments and making sure that like at a McDonalds, one gets what one expects at our products; which is the point of a branded name:

So, i say  - let the individual experiences discussing short coming and over the top great experiences be posted w/out being directed to a customer service desk.

I know that I got a great night's sleep at the Marriott Albany and will go back every time even though they don't acknowledge Plats and even though they don't upgrade to Concierge or to suites.  I also know that I'll always go back to say the Marriott Tysons Corner VA b/c they are way over the top great with customer service and great people   But, Marriott should know the experiences at otherwise similar properties, are very different; based on my repeated stays at both properties

And, hence, the importance of such posts, IMO.

Dear Phil, Apologies for my tardiness in responding to yours. Though you might be surprised, I find much in your argument to agree with.If I were a "crystal-ball gazer" at Marriott Intl, I think I might invest in a "behavioural genetics" research programme aimed at identifying - albeit at present at quite a rudimentary level - the factors, and combinations thereof, that influence the expression of those genes that, in turn, trigger positive negative behaviours in hotel clients in different environments/cultures.

Far fetched though that probably sounds, something along those lines is (almost) "do-able"

A

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...