2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2011 5:14 PM by tryt53 RSS

Why is Elite Status based only on nights not points?

lroste Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

If you stay fewer nights but at a more epensive rate, it seems that you should be able to make status?  I traveled less this year, but spent for more money at Marriotts (staying at fulls service vs. Courtyards) ..but will not retain Platinum...seems crazy to encourage travelers to spend less but stay more...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why is Elite Status based only on nights not points?
    zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Points can be earned at such a varied rate it likely is just not worth trying to figure out "elite points" vs other points or perhaps its just the way its always been for the nights and no real motivation to change?  If you are going to miss by a small margin, perhaps you can call the Platinum desk and see if they can extend you another year based on your history and spend for the year.  Certainly can't hurt to at least try

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why is Elite Status based only on nights not points?
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I agree with zukracer.  Also, if you get turned down after presenting your case nicely, I wouldn't hesitate to wait a day and call and see if you get someone else and try again.  I have called about issues similar and have gotten 1 answer, and then called a while later to confirm what I was told and got a different answer.  It seems on things that are open to discussion, such as this one, it depends on who you get to talk to, how nice you are, and what mood they are in.  May be sad, but I find it to be true.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...