16 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2011 5:56 PM by NathalieF RSS

Aloha from Oahu  Ihilani Marriott Resort and Spa

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We stayed our last night in Hawaii at this gorgeous hotel and look forward to staying there again.  We were warmly greeted as platinum members.  Platinum and gold elite guests receive the following exclusive offers: complimentary internet, 25% food discount in the Naupaka Restaurant, $25 daily self-parking (although we didn't know about this until we had already given the valet the car which was $10 more), 20% discount on spa services, and nightly turn down.  We had reserved a garden/mountain view room and were upgraded to a Deluxe Ocean View room.  It was dark when we arrived after a 55-minute 17 mile drive from the airport, so it was exciting to anticipate the view.

Ihilani Resort_001.jpg

Our room was gorgeous.  The bathroom was huge with separate soaking tub/shower.  The toilet was all alone in a separate room as big as some whole bathrooms we have experienced.  We enjoyed having a ceiling fan in the room.  The balcony has room for a table and two chairs as well as a couch.  The room has screen doors if you want to leave the sliding glass doors open and avoid the bugs.  Unfortunately, someone nearby was smoking on their balcony so we were unable to leave the doors open.

We ate dinner with the rays and sharks at the Naupaka Restaurant and enjoyed our meal.  We also ate the breakfast buffet the next morning and were pleased with the choices.  Check-out time is 11 A. M, but we were given a 12 o'clock check-out when we checked in and extended it to 1 P.M.  I don't know what the area was like before the Disney property opened , but it did not seem overly crowded.  School would have started on the mainland (after Thanksgiving) so I'm sure many families had gone home.

Our flight did not leave until 9:35 P.M., so we used the extra time to visit the North Shore (unfortunately no big waves), but we had a Hawaiian shaved ice at Matsumoto's and pineapple ice cream at the Dole Plantation.  We also found a grocery store called Don Quijote's where we bought 7 Maui Gold pineapples to bring home.  They were about 1/3 the price of the ones you could buy at the Dole Plantation or the airport.  We carried them on the plane as one of our carry-ons.  We've given several of them to friends and they just can't believe how good they are.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Oahu, Hawaii, USA
Ko'Olina, Hawaii, USA
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Ihilani Ko Olina Resort & Spa
  • Re: Aloha from Oahu  Ihilani Marriott Resort and Spa
    lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Another great picture!  Did you use points for these hotel nights?  If so, how many points per night?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

We got a fantastic rate of $199+tax+resort fee.  It is a Category 6 hotel which would be 30,000 points a night.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Great deal, and nice review to share with us.  I am hoping people will take reviews like this and add them to the new review system, that has just gone into beta, when that particular hotel is included in the list of ones to review.  Thanks again for sharing such a nice review with us all.

traveler2 Platinum

So glad you enjoyed your stay there. It is a great property!  What a wonderful surprise to get the upgrade. Sounds like the Ihilani treated you very nicely. Makes the stay so much more special.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Razorback,

Wonderful report!

Could you send some of that weather back to the Mid-West?  We have snow today.

Keep us posted!

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

Good to hear that it is still so great! Spent a week there 10years ago, and it was paradise!

I wish I could send you some of the gorgeous weather.  In fact, I would like to have some of that weather in south Louisiana right now.  It's not snowing, but it's a cold, damp 45 degrees.  It was about 70 degrees this time Sunday.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

razorbackfan -- we have also stayed at the Ihilani a couple of times, and like you, found it to be one of the best Marriott experiences we've ever had.  Thanks for posting the photos.

PSU Fan Platinum 2 Reviews

This property is probably our favorite to date. We stayed in June of 2010 and were also upgraded to a lovely oceanfront suite. The room, beach, restaurants, and staff exceeded our expectations.  We will return!

sleepygal7 Platinum

I LOVED this hotel!  I also have a good story about Marriott and Hawaii.  I splurged and cashed in enough points to spend two weeks in Hawaii.  Two days before flying out, I get a call from a Rewards Executive that proceeds to tell me the Waikiki Edition had a revolt and the owners of the building threw Marriott out.  This resulted in my entire reservation being cancelled, but the hotel was willing to offer me a room for $450 a night.  No thanks!  Anyways, I was quite upset...I caught a pointsaver deal for this two week trip, and now I had no hotel, all of these excursions that were supposed to pick me up at the Edition, etc.  So, due to the fact I wanted waterfront hotel fun, I asked to be transferred to this resort (which was a ton more points per night) for the same amount of points I would have used at the Edition (60000 point difference), free parking at the hotel (I needed a rental car to get to the airport for all my excursions to other islands), and an upgrade to an ocean front suite.  Marriott agreed 100% to my requests...and they took care of me during my stay to apologize for my drama.  I found wine, fruit, and cheeses in my room upon checkin, a gift card for free dinner that night, totally free valet parking for two weeks, and after seeing the chaos of Waikiki...I'm glad I didn't end up at the Edition. 

Regarding the resort, the food was amazing!  The eggs benedict was out of this world...and that's my usual breakfast order when I travel on vacation.  This was by far the best eggs benedict I've ever had.  Also, the pool was perfect during the day, and it's only steps from the cove at the beach.  When the pool-side bar/restaurant opened, my friends and I would get the Wailau Wheat beer or a Mai Tai and relax.  Also, every morning, I would participate in the fitness activity.  One morning it was waterfront yoga, another morning it was a walk around the paved walkway, etc.  The instructor was fabulous and helpful to my yoga-rookie ways.    Oh, and the rooms...gorgeous, cozy beds, enormous bathrooms, soothing tubs, and relaxing decor.

Also, I was there during the time the Disney resort opened next door.  I went over, toured the property, grabbed some snackage, and enjoyed seeing a new property.  But, I liked our resort better...which seemed more geared towards adults.  Disney was swarming with kids, which isn't my thing yet, while our hotel was peaceful but lively for an adult crowd.   Overall, I will be back to this hotel!  I loved sitting on my balcony everynight, sipping Cakebread Chardonnay (yes, it's on their menu for room service!), and watching the moonlight hit the water.  Surreal!!!

• Aloha from Oahu  Ihilani Marriott Resort and Spa
    lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Besides the Dole Plantation tour, what else is there to do on the island?

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

My first stop is always the Pearl Harbor Memorial. 

And, for anyone who is active or retired military, send me a message and I'll give info on tours of the Memorial by the Navy at Ford Island.

kauairesident Platinum 1 Reviews

In addition to Pearl Harbor you should visit Punch Bowl National Cemetery of the Pacific.

There is Diamond Head, the fabulous soft sand beaches of the east side (Bellows & Laniki), the North Shore (especially this time of year), and of course the only Royal Palace in the USA for just a few other things to do on Oahu.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

sleepgal7,

Nice story, and glad to hear you liked this hotel so much! Also glad to hear Marriott did so well by you.  It's nice when Marriott does a really good job, and shows why we all keep trying to stay at Marriott brands, even if they fall short some times.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Great report,  have not stayed here but will make it #1 on my next trip to Hawaii.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Awesome post razorbackfan, thank you for sharing and we're glad you enjoyed yourself. Some of this would make a great review for the property, http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/docs/DOC-1282.

If you're not familiar, here are some instructions for posting a Rating & Review, http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/36086#36086

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...