11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2011 9:53 AM by kauairesident RSS

Aloha from the Big Island  Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort and Spa

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We just spent two nights at this hotel and really enjoyed the property. We were greeted as platinum guests. We had reserved a garden/mountain view and were upgraded to an ocean front room with a gorgeous view of the Anaeho'omalu Bay.  There is a resort fee which covers self-parking.  We enjoyed a $12 Chef's Pupu Platter in the Hawai'i Calls Lounge.  The restaurant offers 50% offer all dinner entrees on Monday and Thursday nights.  There is a small mall near the hotel with a food court that was fairly reasonable.  If you don't mind a pretty 20-minute drive and perhaps a 20-minute wait, then don't miss breakfast at the Hawaiian Style Cafe in Waimea.  My husband's pancakes were as big as the plate!

The water was extremely rough while we were there so we were unable to go on the glass bottom boat (free for hotel guests).  We did walk to a beach near the hotel and observed several sea turtles.  A photographer with a gallery in Kona told us where to go to get some great shots of the turtles at sunset.  The wind was so blowing so hard that it felt like we were being sand blasted and the turtles were smarter than we were because they stayed in the area protected by rocks.

We drove to the other side of the island to view the volcano and stayed in Volcano Village at the Kilauea Lodge since there was not a Marriott within a couple of hours.  We enjoyed our stay.  FYI-a gallon of milk at the convenience store/gas station was almost $10 and the gas was over $5 a gallon.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Waikoloa, Hawaii, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
  • Re: Aloha from the Big Island  Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort and Spa
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

That's a great way to get over the Hogs losing to LSU!! Beautiful. Can't wait to get to Waikoloa.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Beautiful sunset! Thanks for the pictures and post. Too bad the water was so rough. I bet the glass bottom boat would have been really neat!

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

That is one colorful picture!  I am starting to plan something for Hawaii next year.  I will come back to ask you for some more information.  I knew food was expensive there, but $10 for the milk is outrageous!  What did the rental car go for?

Our Hertz rental car cost $.55 for 3 days!  Yes, you read that correctly.  We actually used 3 Hertz vouchers ($150) that we had received when we bought Marriott gift cards.  The daily rate was $38.49 + tax for a full size car.  We were upgraded to a GMC Acadia that came with Hertz NeverLost.  We loved the NeverLost.  It would definitely be worth paying for the NeverLost if you want to do a lot of sight seeing in an area you are not familiar with.

If you need further rental information, let me know.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

Thanks for the report, Razorback.  We also enjoyed our stay there, and were upgraded to an Ocean Front room (on a reward stay).  Another food tip is that Sansei Japanese Restaurant in the Queen's Shops has 1/2 price entrees on Monday night (IIRC) for the first hour or so, but get there at least 1/2 an hour before they open!  We can also 2nd the recommendation for the Hawaiian Style Cafe!  Outstanding breakfast!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Great report and pictures!

Glad to hear about this wonderful trip,

Thanks.

retired Platinum

Hawaiian Style cafe is great, my wife and I eat breakfast at least a couple of times a week when we vacation on the Big Island. Since our first visit for breakfast we now split orders, way to much food for one person. They serve the biggest pancakes I have ever seen, they really are as big as the plat!

• Aloha from the Big Island  Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort and Spa
    lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Wow, what a great price.  i'm surprised though that the regular rental car price for a full-sized car is not higher.  Are there bridges between the various islands?

No, there are no bridges between the islands.  Flights are short and not too expensive.  I believe you can take a ferry between Maui and Lanai and maybe Molikai.  Several years ago I think they tried a ferry between Oahu and Maui, but it was discontinued.

kauairesident Platinum 1 Reviews

There was going to be a high speed ferry between the major islands but before the second vessel went into service the whole thing was scrapped.  Primarily due to the anarchist on Kauai and the state screwing up the EIS.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...