21 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2014 2:12 PM by marriottmemberfromla RSS

MR Premier VISA - Ka-CHING!!!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

OK, so - after agonizing over it for a while, I finally took the plunge and began the transition from my long-held Marriott Rewards Signature VISA to the Premier VISA.  See here for helpful analysis from the community: https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/6840 ...  With trips to London and Bangkok before the end of the year, the foreign transaction fee waiver is a blessing.

But I just completed my first full-month cycle with the new card, received the bill, and noticed that my points had been dumped into my MR account. Ka-CHING!!! What caught my attention was the level of complexity/detail due to the various multipliers (most of which, of course, are on top of the MR points earned for the stays).  My November VISA statement - and, of course, my MR online account - breaks out my points awarded as follows:

Points from Marriott Hotel purchases .... (two nights)

Points from Renaissance purchases .... (only 1 night)

Points from Residence Inn purchases .... (only 1 night)

Points from SpringHill Suites purchases .... (only 1 night)

Points from Air, Rental Car, Dining purchases ....

Points earned from other purchases ....

Points transferred to Marriott ... [a bunch!]

It's starting to sink in that, combining Platinum status and the Premier VISA, I'm raking in 20 points per dollar spent at most Marriott properties (although it's only, what, 12.5 percent at Residence Inn).  That's 10 points per dollar for MR, 50 percent Elite bonus (or 5 points), and 5 points for Premier VISA....  I probably already knew that, but I hadn't stopped to think about it. (Duh.)

Travelling with the kids, the points won't go to waste.  To the extent the kids are increasingly spoiled (by category 7 and 8 hotels, and now, the Ritz Carlton), every point counts. 

The bottom line remains: Marriott has earned - and continues to reward - my (and my family's) loyalty.....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: MR Premier VISA - Ka-CHING!!!
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Glad to see you have taken advantage of the Marriott Premier Visa Card. I have for many years and this has contributed to my millions of points generated at the Marriott. Hope others heed your comments and consider getting the Premier Visa Card.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

For those interested in getting theMarriott Premier Visa Card and the outstanding benefits offered, see link below:

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/8627

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Thanks for sharing this with us.  I have not upgraded yet, but this really makes sense to request the upgrade!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

ssindc,

I take it that since you already had the signature card, you weren't able to get the big points that you would get for opening a new account, right?

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I also recently upgraded my card and am looking for many more points to come in as a result of the uptick in points per dollar!  i didn't get the 50k points, but am looking forward to the Free annual night certificate next year (and every year after)!

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

All I can say is ... Salt ... Wound! 

Perhaps I should just emigrate to the USA?!

One supplemental point - I just got my statement for the first month in which I had significant foreign purchases (multiple hotel rooms in London and Bangkok, some custom tailoring in Bangkok (much fun), restaurants, etc.).  In addition to the absence of foreign transaction fees, I was pleasantly surprised by the relatively favorable (or, at least, not unfavorable) exchange rate applied.

So, my (short-term) bottom line remains - I'm glad I got the Marriott Rewards Premier VISA.

Now I just need to eliminate those last few recurring automatic payments from my longstanding MR VISA, and I can cancel that card.  All things in time....

sanjuancap Platinum 5 Reviews

I had received frequent Premier Visa mailings and had tossed them all, until a few weeks ago when two mailings arrived on the same day. One offered the usual 50,000 bonus points after the first purchase, the other offered 70,000 bonus points. 70,000 bonus points got my attention. I completed the online application a few days before Christmas. On Christmas Day, the bonus elite stay nights were added to my account. A few days later the card arrived. That was easy. 

Sounds like a great deal..Glad you could benefit from the offering!!!

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Guys ... please stop this series of postings ... it is just so painful being a non-USA observer ... boo hoo .  Yup, that's me, still crying over the shoddy treatment of non-USA citizens in this area.  I just cannot understand why Marriott are so mean to us.  All this deflection that has been issued regarding why we cannot get the same Marriott benefits just does not stand up!  Marriott own the points and stays, so why can't they make them available on the same basis for non-USA cards?

Still, the hotels still seem to treat us the same ... a month with Marriott in Hawaii and California ... bliss, I hope. 

Chris,

I do hope you have a wonderful Month in Hawaii and California.  You know I wish it were the same for non-US customers also.  I think the real bottom line is that companies only give away what they think they have to, to get NEW customers in the market they are competing in.  I have heard a lot of complaints also from the US customers who can't get this good of an offer if they already have the other MR Visa card.  IMO, I think they are NOT trying to show appreciation (or they would just give the points to everyone whether they were a new, or existing customer), but instead LURE NEW customers away from other card and hotel brands.  To do that, they look at what they need to offer to compete with other cards (or just a little better) that their competitors are offering in the country or region.  Many other hotel chains in the US are now offering up to 80,000 points (newest targeted Priority Club offer) to get their card for their hotel.  It seems that until the competition in other countries steps up their offers, there will be no incentive for the offers to get much more attractive (in terms of offering points, etc), Marriott won't need to raise their point offerings either.  This is just my opinion.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

70,000?? I haven't heard or seen that. The 50,000 has been out there for a while. Anyone else out there can verify this 70,000 deal?

pp,

I wonder if it is another targeted one that Platinum ones are getting, that don't already have a card?  I know that is what the Priority Club one was, that we got as an email.  The normal offer for those are 60,000 points, but reading on the boards, there was talk of one for targeted platinum members that was 80,000 points and that is what we got.  Maybe Marriott is doing the same now?

Sorry, but I had to dredge up this oldie, but goodie because, this month:

• my charge card anniversary came around, entitling me to a free night at a Category 5 (which more than covers my annual fee);
    • I received an obscene number of points, because it was a heavy travel month (most, of course, were reimbursed expenses), but also because we charged a large "event" rental
      • how obscene you ask?  well.... we're talking 30,000 points here (just on the charge card - with all of the multipliers - and that's on top of the points for the stays at the hotels) - granted, that's an unusual month for us, but...;
      • and, of course, that translates into a free category 6 night (anytime) or a free category 7 (during point saver periods) or just more filler for the war chest - check out (and vote in) the poll (Burn or Hoard? What's in YOUR War Chest?) here: http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/polls/1264
    • I incurred no foreign transaction fees - while I was travelling in Panama (photos here:Panama Canal and Panama City) and China (photos here: Xi'an, China (including Terracotta Warriors)) (yup, a crazy travel month); and
    • I got a few extra night stay credits (although, to the extent I'm Lifetime Platinum, I don't even pay attention to them anymore).

Put me in the happy/satisfied customer category.

And ... there's currently a(nother) 50,000 point bonus promotionMarriott Rewards® Credit Card from Chase  But be forewarned:

This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time Marriott Rewards Credit Card Cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and existing Marriott Rewards Credit Card Cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer. If your account is not open for at least 6 months, Marriott and Chase reserve the right to deduct the bonus points from your Marriott Rewards account.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Makes sense as you shouldn't be able to double-dip!

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

If you are an active Marriott Rewards member, this IS the card for you (or me!).  Besides all of the perks you llsted, the customer service and fraud alert offered by Chase is excellent.  I have, what I consider, an unnecessarily high credit limit (I don't know why).  My monthly charges are typiclly only one-quarter of my limit.  In August, due to a large event I hosted, I bumped up against my credit limit.  I called customer service and was told 1) I would not be charged or peanalized if I went over my limit and 2) offered to increase my credit limit - the option I took.  The whole transaction with Chase took about two minutes.  Good benefits and great customer service.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

and no international exchange fees also

Platinum 28 Reviews

Welcome to the club!!!!  Many of us have been quietly enjoying the benefits of the Premier Card for years.

mauibound2 Platinum 4 Reviews

When I was offered the Visa MR Signautre the offer was 50,000 pts plus the standard offers.  I was upgrading from the gold MR Visa.  First I was told that I would not receive the 50,000, since I was upgrading.  I asked to speak with a supervisor and was confirmed that I owuld receive the 50,000 offer upon approval and $1,000 in spending in the first 90 days.  My advise is to push the point when applying.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

It is my favorite credit card though I only use it for Marriott hotels, dining and rental cars where you get bonus points.  I use my United card for everyday purchases because 1 United MileagePlus mile is worth more than 1 Marriott Rewards point.