11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2011 8:20 AM by kauairesident RSS

Lodging in NYC

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just had the pleasure of another stay at the Renaissance 57 Hotel in MidTown Manhattan (57th between Park and Lexington).  For those who have not yet experienced this property, it is a beautiful older building that has been renovated beautifully.  Yes, there are quirky shapes and sizes of many of the rooms, but in my opinion, these quirks add to the wonderful ambience of the property.  The locale is fantastic, just two blocks from the best shopping in New York.  Madison Ave shopping is world class.  You are also blocks away from Central Park, Rockefeller Center, St Patrick Cathedral, etc,etc,etc.

I was greeted appropriately as a returning elite member, but alas, no upgrade for me....   I was concerned that the air conditioning system might have been disabled for the season, but my room cooled nicely. Also, due to having been assigned a high floor room not on the street side, my room was quiet and comfortable.  The 3rd floor workout area was very well lit, clean, and all machinery seemed mostly new and in good working order.  The on-site restaurant is a happening place and a great people-watching place.  Across the hall from the Restaurant is the very cool Concierge Lounge.  There are a number of privacy boots with their own flat screen tv as well as a more opened up area with a large screen tv.  The morning attendant is a wonderful woman who goes out of her way to greet you and make you feel as if you are a guest in her home.  The evening attendant is a young man who has more the feel of a bartender in your favorite watering hole.  He remembers your likes and dislikes and begins pouring as you enter the lounge.  I cannot say enough about both of them.  Great Job!  Finally, a shout out to the Concierge.  I found myself in need of a last-minute dinner reservation for my party of 6.  This was Wednesday night, the night Obama, Justin Bieber,and the Tree lighting ceremony were all going on.  He found us a wonderful steakhouse that would take us immediately.  I had tried on my own and could only come up with a secondary choice that would seat us at 9:30 pm, two hours after our intended seating time.  Again, great job!

If ever in NY and you want a cool place to stay, give Hotel 57 a try.  I believe you will like it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA
New York, New York, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New York Hotel 57
  • Re: Lodging in NYC
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

shoeman,

Have not stayed there but will take your advice.

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Thanks Shoeman after my Marquis bad time I will check this out

pecc26 Gold 8 Reviews

I've never stayed at the Renaissance, as I typically stay at the Marriott Marquis.  I love this property!  Some prefer a quieter smaller, less expensive hotel, but in my eyes ...The Marquis is the place to stay. Some feel that when you are visiting the city that you just need a "bed to lay your head down on." I feel like when you are running all over Manhattan that you should have a nice size room, with a great bed, wi-fi and a nice TV, which is exactly what you get when you stay at this property.  I've always gotten my upgrade and being a Gold Member has been fabulous in just getting the free wi-fi. Ive found the front desk staff to be courteous and always take that step over and above. The one time this past April where the room wasn't ready (I had asked for an early checkin given my flight arrival) and they didn't call me to tell me it was ready resulted in chocolates and champagne being sent up to my room as an apology!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I've also had great luck there - a few observations:

• It's always worth checking on price - for during-the-week stays, I've often found it to be less (often much less) than the other NYC hotels;
      • I don't want to suggest that I'm obsessed with NYC hotel pricing, but we go up there enough that we pay attention - see here for a data dump: http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/8367 - the moral of the story is that
        • timing has a dramatic impact on NYC hotel prices;
        • it's always worth checking various hotels; and
        • it's always worth checking the AAA discount, which fluctuates wildly in NYC (for inexplicable reasons) - we've often found that - both domestically and abroad - Renaissance manages the AAA discount effectively.
    • I've never stayed there with my family - my experience has been that the rooms are (quite) small - very comfortable and nicely appointed, but quite small;  with the kids, we tend to prefer the Residence Inn, the East Side, and, of course, the Marquis (although I'm trying the new/newly renovated Courtyard early in 2012);
    • it's a nicer, calmer part of town than the Times Square hotels;
      • if you (or your spouse or your companion) is shopper/fashionista, the location is sublime!
    • the lobby-elevator-room transition is somewhere between unusual and weird - but it only bothers me if/when I'm carrying a lot of stuff;
    • I agree - the staff at the 57 is top notch - when they welcome you into the hotel, it may be for security reasons on a busy street corner, but it feels like you're coming home - kudos to the management.

Location Brand Hotel
    New York, New York, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New York Hotel 57
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Shoeman:

A 1000 thanks for this post! When in NYC, we always stay at the Marriott Eastside because of the great treatment we get there, but I must say that we have many times considered the Renaissance 57 property as another choice but never knew anything about it. Your insight will give me a good reason to book this property on a future visit.

Your post is the type of content I really look forward to when I visit this site!

Thanks for posting and happy travels!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

tef6178

Thanks and safe travels. Glad you enjoyed the review.

juanma Gold 4 Reviews

I stayed at the Marquis last December and had an awesome experience.  I got 2 rooms with points and the front desk upgraded me to jr suites at no cost!  I am taking the family again this weekend and hope (crossing fingers) I will get the same treatment and upgrade.  Otherwise, I will try the Ren 57 in the future, as people seem to have had a good experience there.

To me, good experience = upgrade

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I must admit my last stay at the Marquis was a disappointment from check into check out, but this was one time. I too will try another NYC property in the future to compare.

bikesdestroy Platinum 1 Reviews

The  Renaissance 57 Hotel is a gem.  This is my "go to" hotel in NYC.  The staff, the rooms, the view... all great. 

To your point, Steppingstones, I'll agree that the Marquis is disappointing.  In plain words, the staff is rude and the product is substantially overpriced compared to other properties in the area.

I recently stayed at the Algonquin and thought it was charming.  It's refreshing to stay in these older hotels that have retained their level of service from the golden era of travel.

TL

juanma Gold 1 Reviews

I stayed at the Marquis last December and had an awesome experience.  I got 2 rooms with points and the front desk upgraded me to jr suites at no cost!  I am taking the family again this weekend and hope (crossing fingers) I will get the same treatment and upgrade.  Otherwise, I will try the Ren 57 in the future, as people seem to have had a good experience there.

To me, good experience = upgrade

kauairesident Platinum 1 Reviews

Just spent the weekend at the Marquis, on points.  Had a great corner room, high floor, looking at 'the ball' above Times Square.  Couldn't help wondering what that room would cost on New Years Eve.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...