41 Replies Latest reply: Dec 24, 2011 2:17 PM by tryt53 RSS

Platinum Arrival Gift (Points) NOT Received

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I did not receive the 500 points requested for my arrival gift, but I did not know it until I checked my account when I got home.  Is it still possible to get the $100 compensation?  If so, what is the procedure?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Arrival Gift (Points) NOT Received
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Were the rest of your points from the stay posted to your account? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

retired Platinum

I just had the same problem (no arrival gift points) on my last stay 11/28. I noticed it when it was posted to my account today. I called the hotel where we stayed and they gave me a choice of a $100 check or 15,000 marriott rewards points plus our 500 points for the arrival gift. We went for the points.

Segments Platinum 4 Reviews

Which location gave you 15,000 points for failing to give you the platinum arrival points?   I'd heard that the $100 check is not applicable since the missing points can still be delivered (although the fact that I had to follow up and chase them down seems to be ignored).  I've had some offer locations offer 200 - 500 extra points as an apology, but never anything close to 15,000 points!

retired Platinum

Marriott hotel in San Ramon California. They gave us a choice of 15,000 points or a $100 check plus our 500 points for arrival gift. The manager was really great about it, no hassles at all. He said it would be a few days before the points show on my account.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

You should refer them to the Platinum guaranteed benefits.  I notice that the wording has just been changed to where they are not required to offer you a choice, just that you are guaranteed an arrival gift.  Just adding points later doesn't make up for not getting a gift at arrival. The last place gave me a choice of $100 or 2,000 points or the $100 and I took the $100.  If they had offered me 15,000 points I might have taken that.  There are no rules of what points they have to offer you to get you to take the $100, so hold out for something good, or push for the $100.  If you don't get satisfaction, follow up with the Platinum Customer Service.

Here is a link to the Terms and Conditions:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi

retired Platinum

My account was credited with 15,500 points today for my arrival gift which they over looked on 11/28 and I called them only yesterday. All things said and done I think Marriott did right by me.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Tryt53 ... I can't see any reference in the Ts & Cs to the $100 ... could you point me to the specific place please?

hi chrisf,

If you follow this link:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi

and then look at the section that says this:

Elite Benefits Guarantee at Participating Marriott Hotel Brands (for Members of the Marriott Rewards Program and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Program)

and then look in that section at number 7, you should find what we are referring to.  Let me know if you still have any problem finding it.

traveler2 Platinum

What just a minute!! Are you saying that if they forget to give you the arrival points in your statement you can call the hotel and they will offer you money or more points for the mistake? Boy have I missed out!!!  It has happened several times. I called and all they did was give me the 500 back into my account. Do you call the hotel or Marriott rewards?

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

razorbackfan -- this happened to me a while back at the Orlando Airport Marriott, and I posted the details of the problem on insiders.  Hope you get results!

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/6500

retired Platinum

Called the Hotel, the Manager was really great about it. Needless to say when he offered 15,000 points plus our 500 which was a oversight we jumped on it.

When my wife and I stayed at the J.W. Marriott about 1 1/2 years ago, in Washington D.C., for a vacation and one of the managers (which we met in the lounge) gave us tickets for the Nationals and Braves baseball game. I'm not talking cheap nose bleed seats (Bob Ucker type) these where $63 per ticket face value! Marriott must really like my wife.

As  said before they have really taken care of me, when we do run into a problem they always go above and beyond to fix it.

traveler2 Platinum

Would you believe that I just went back over my account and I did not receive my Platinum arrival gift for 2 stays at the Seattle Marriott, 1 for Oct. and 1 for Nov.  Hmmm! I will call the desk Monday and see what I can do. If it weren't for this blog I never would have noticed....so thanks Razorback!!

Trav2,  you didn't receive the points. Are you sure you didn't accept the gift in place of the points?

traveler2 Platinum

Absolutely!!  I never take the gift...always the points!

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

So, if you check in, and they don't offer you an arrival gift, what are you supposed to do? I am not clear on this, and we checked in today, and we weren't offered anything. Thanks...

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hi Lakeshore.

I would immediately call downstairs, or walk down to the front desk.  I would explain that under the terms of the Marriott Rewards Program, it is expected that you will be offered an arrival gift of either points or a small gift.  In the terms, if you are not offered one or the other, you are to receive $100 in compensation.  You should not accept anything less.

shoeman1000 is right, you should talk to the front desk, and then the manager if the front desk doesn't start your compensation.  If you still don't get taken care of, I would then contact the Platinum Customer Service.  Hopefully, the more the offending hotels get called on this, the more they will make sure the proper benefits are awarded Platinum and other elite levels, at check-in time, and during their stay.

It looks like everyone gave a correct answer except the two replies that I had marked as Helpful Answers.  Does Correct Answer show up on all posts on all your screens?  The gremlins are at work.  I do appreciate all the responses and I'm waiting to hear back from the hotel.

If you are not offered a Platinum gift, how do you obtain the gift points after the fact?

This question was answered by the Community Manager a few months ago.  Points as an arrival gift are not eligible for the $100 compensation

allyson, that may be the community manager's opinion, but it's wrong as evidenced by the experiences of several insiders, including me, who have gotten the $100 when the arrival gift was not offered or awarded until we raised the issue. 

I hope you are correct, because I need to follow up on recent stay where my arrival points didn't arrive.  I called the hotel, they were to post them along with an extra 500 points for their oversight.... it's been 10 days and it still hasn't been corrected.  I can forgive the occassional oversight (I was greeted as P), but when the correction wasn't made after identified.....

allyson, I think you should definitely be due the compensation in this case, especially since they didn't fix it when it was brought to their attention.  I was another who got it for a less blatant instance than yours.

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi tryt53

As you have a good idea what the procedure is may I ask for you advice. I'm not sure what to do or who to contact and if I am entitled to anything more? BTW - I agree with some other posters on here that pushing too far might make Marriott stop giving the arrival gift, but think its unlikely, but I think my situation might warrant it?

I used my category 4 certificate to stay at the Renaissance Heathrow on the 7th Dec for 1 night. I went to the Elite checkin desk where the very pleasant lady was training a young man, so she was explaining things as she went along, which was fine. I got my key and went to my room. Sitting in the lounge I asked myself "was I asked about my Platinum arrival gift or not?". To be honest, I really wasnt clear and didnt want to accuse her of not, so I went back and asked "I cant remember if you asked me or not about my Platinum arrival gift, but I might be wrong". She then said, "no I didnt ask you because you are using points and do not get the arrival gift". When I said i thought she was wrong, she said, "no, you havent paid so there are no points", and at that point, another colleague of hers overheard and told her that I was entitled to the 500 points. She apologised and said it would be done. I didn't even think about asking for anything over and above my 500 points but jokingly said  with a smile to the young man being trained "there, you see, you've both learnt something now". I know that some staff forget to offer it but I would have hoped that if someone who was training new staff, then they should at least know the correct rules - no wonder so many people seem to have trouble getting their points credited if things like this happen.

So...............now its the 18th and no sign of the 500 points. Any ideas?

platinumstar -- youcan wait for tryt53's answer is yhou choose, but I can tell you that on the one single occasion when I was not offered and did not recieve the platinum welcome gift, I waited until I returned from my trip and emailed them monitor of thsi site, at the time it was Andrew.  He replied to me and forwareded my complaint to Marriott customer care, who in turn sent it to the hotel.  Within a week I received an email from the GM and just a couple of days later my 500 points were posted and a $100 Marriott gift card was received in the mail.

platinumstar, nuhusker hit it right on the head.  I wonldn't bother with the email to this site though, I would go straight to Marriott Customer Care, and explain the scenario.  as far as pushing for the compensation, I personally would do so in this case.  You did everything correct and they were given several chances to remedy the situation, and were even a little resistant to give it to you (which they still didn't do) when their error was pointed out.  Let us know how it goes.

Thank you tryt53. I will take your advice but dont have an email address for marriott customer service and cant seem to find one? Can you help with this? Thanks.

I had a reply from customer services and they were very apologetic and said they would get in touch with the hotel. The next day the Renaissance contacted me and said they would look into it and the day after that the hotel responded and said they would apply 15,000 points to my account. (I had told the hotel I would prefer 15,000 points rather than $100). I have never exercised my right to the compensation and felt a bit guilty asking for it, but I suppose if Marriott put the proviso there, its there for a reason and to be used when things go wrong. If anything, it will hopefully help the hotel to make sure that their trainers are up to speed on conditions for Marriott reward members.

Many thanks tryt53 for your helpful advice. Happy xmas!

• Platinum Arrival Gift (Points) NOT Received

I had emailed the hotel a couple of weeks ago and never heard back so I figured it never arrived.  Yesterday I called the hotel and the desk clerk transferred me to the person I needed to talk to.  I had to leave a voice mail and the call was returned in less than 30 minutes.  She said she had to contact someone else and it might take several days for the points to post.  When I checked my account a few hours later, the 500 platinum arrival points had already been posted.  (I had decided not to push for anything other than the 500 points.)

I checked my history for 2011. I'm 53 for 53 (100%) as far as receiving my Platinum Arrival Gift Bonus's

mmoore29 Gold

I had this happen to me one time back in September and shot a note to customer service and the hotel replied within 24 hours and posted 15,000 to my account. I guess it depends on the property but I would go through Rewards Customer Service for help.

stevew Platinum

This happens to me 2-3 times/year. Normally I just call the front desk and it is fixed. I have never asked for the $100 until this week. After a couple of attempts to get my arrival gift without success, I called and asked for the $100 gift check. I was awarded 20,000 points instead. It was explained to me that the front desk staff can get in significant trouble when they have to give out a penalty. Awarding the points is cleaner and easier for them.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...