12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2011 12:44 PM by anadyr RSS

Guess what the number one credit card complaint is?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Here's the answer.  And no surprise that it is number one.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Guess what the number one credit card complaint is?
    franktafl Platinum 3 Reviews

My number one would be the strip doesn't work any more and I have to get the card replaced...

Billing disputes are never a problem with me since I use my AMEX and my Chase Marriott for just about everything and all it takes is one phone call and DONE!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I guess I agree that this issue is tops, but I would query why a consumer would have a complaint on a billing issue when they control the card AND the amount billed...and with proper receipts I would think it difficult that the issue can remain 'unsatisfactorily' unresolved.

Things do happen sometimes (but rarely, I think), but when they do, I contact the vendor directly with proof of my transaction and have never had a problem with instant resolution with the proof of error. Some rules of thumb that I always follow:

I never leave a checkout or card usage without a copy of my receipt. There are lots of machines today that allow for a 'no signature' transaction. there are clerks who will say 'no signature needed so you need a receipt?' My answer is always 'yes I do, thank you'. If not offered a receipt, I always ask for one. I also make sure the transaction is correct before I leave. I 'watch' when items are being rung in.

When I eat at a restaurant, I am always amazed at the number of people who leave without taking their receipt after signing and adding the tip. Leaving without a transaction slip makes one an 'easy' target. I have had 2 issues in the past two years where my tip amount has been changed. Could have been inadvertently done by the server, but if I had not had my receipt with the tip as added, I would have no source for a complaint mechanism that was other than my word against the server's word. That's never a good discussion.

Good news for me....after contacting the restaurant directly and forwarding them a scanned copy of my receipt...and them checking it against their filed copy....I ate for free with the total amount credited back to me in each instance....their offer for resolution, not my suggestion. I even got a free meal at the restaurant close to home as well as the credit.

The old adage of 'buyer beware' should always apply to a credit card transaction....always get, and keep until the billing process is final, your receipts. Of course, just my opinion, but I always follow the thought.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

We need to be ever vigilant these days as thieves and people just being mistaken plague all we do,

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

A couple of years ago, I started taking photos of every receipt I signed that contained a tip (I take a copy of normal receipts).

Believe it or not, the very first receipt I signed (at a Marriott restaurant) did not show up on my bill when I checked out (I had charged it to the room).  The checkout clerk was a bit of an arrogant jerk and I had a flight to catch, so I just left at the time.  However, a day later, I phoned the hotel to see if they had an updated copy of my checkout bill with the lounge charge added.  They said they did not.  I told them I'd charged $60 to the room and it wasn't on the folio.

When they couldn't find it, I faxed them a copy of the picture printed out.  They were able to then process the charge and all was well.  It turned out something I'd done to myself had actually protected the hotel in this instance.

As for the stripes, I hate stripe abusers..those clerks that seem to swipe repeatedly on their scanner they never cleaned, and then rub your card.  I like chip and pin much better!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...