19 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2011 11:30 AM by franktafl RSS

Room Upgrades

franktafl Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone (Platinum) have to call and request a room upgrade?  I stay in a couple of properties on a regular basis and I don't need to ask for an upgrade but when I am at a property that I don't frequently stay, I call for upgrades and I almost feel embarassed!

Sometimes I get the "I will need to ask my manager" responses, sometimes I get "we're pretty full tonight", and sometimes I just get "no" but sometimes I get "Yes, since you are a platimum member".

One time I was told that I was upgraded to Concierge level but they did it as a favor since I was platimum and they really didn't need to and it was not "required".

Anyone else have these problems?  Discuss.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Room Upgrades
    jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

"Room Upgrade

As a Platinum Elite member, you deserve the best, which is why you can expect room upgrades upon check-in. Accommodations are upgraded at no additional charge and are based on availability; suites excluded. Upgrades are not available at Marriott Vacation Club, and upgrades from studio to one- or two-bedrooms are not guaranteed at Residence Inn® and TownePlace Suites®."

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits/platinum.mi

I never call ahead of time, it's not worth the effort, really. As far as the Concierge level, it should be capacity-controlled as with any other upgrade, though you should always have access to the lounge.

For myself, I rarely get upgraded, nor do I want it most nights. It's just a room, and the last thing I need is a big, mostly empty reminder of being alone day after day.  Tell you what, you can have my suite, I'll take the little room on the ground floor in the middle. I really dislike having to wait on an elevator going 30 or 40 floors, with someone wanting on or off at every floor. And the next time mommy or daddy think it's cute for Junior to push every button, you'll read about the bloodbath in the next morning's USAToday.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Thanks for your reponse..I will take your upgrades then if its ok with you!!!

I like getting the upgrades since I can turn one AC off and not have it blowing on me all night and hear the noise.  I also like the ability to work in a separate area than the bedroom or when I have a short meeting with some of my associates, I can work with them in private (not that way).    I like HIGH FLOOR since I don't have KIDS jumping off  the bed  or have some health nut doing jumping jacks above me and I can have some quiet.

I understand your points and I have gone that route lots of times since I cover FLORIDA and have to stay in ORLANDO lots.  I say, get a taser and .......

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Frank,

I have never asked for an upgrade, but have been given many.  When I travel by myself, my needs are actually pretty simple.  It is great when you have loved ones with you that you get an upgrade.  I would rather some family get's an upgrade over me when I am by myself.

Nice post!

• Room Upgrades
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I have asked on occasion but normally get them without if I check in early enough and the hotel is less than full. A few times the room upgrade has been blocked in the rez system and the associate makes sure I knew that.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

do not receive many at all.  am thrilled when I am given one.  It's a great incentive to be loyal.  should be given more often. 

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I don't ask for an upgrade....although I do receive them on occasion. Sometimes they are nice upgrades (good view, nice room, etc.), but if I am told at check-in I'm getting an upgraded room, I thank them for doing it and head up to the room. For some reason, I seem to get the best rooms (upgrades) at the Marriott Eastside in NYC. Maybe it's because we always stay there when we visit the big city. It's always nice to get the upgrade, but I don't push for them.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Here's to hoping those few guaranteed annual suite upgrades for Platinum members get approved some day soon.  Would be a wonderful way to show appreciation for Platinum members and allow them to enjoy a little special time, either for themselves, or a family vacation! NathalieF heatherjt michellel2

Yes times three

Marriott Associate Member

Yep - listening.  Upgrades are extremely important - check!

More for Gurus and above I might add

Room upgrades already available..Suite upgrades are what we are looking for!!!!

I am happy when my room has towels! Is that an upgrade?

For a Guru...yes!!!

Thanks for the clarification!

Technically, there are rooms that can be called upgraded, such as corners, larger rooms, balcony rooms, Times Square view rooms, etc., that are not suites.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I knew you were.  That's why we like you so much!!

Awww shucks - thanks!

Here's an update....

I'm staying in a full service that I have never been at before and this is why it kinda ticks me off about the requests and availability of upgrades for PLATINUM members...

Here's the e-mail chain:

Good Morning Katherine.  Thank you for your note.  I would like to see if you will have any “upgrades” available for my stay tomorrow.   I would also like to be able to check in early since I believe I will be in town before or around NOON tomorrow.

Regards,

Good Morning Mr. FRANKTAFL

I was able to give you a complimentary upgrade to the concierge floor here at the hotel. I do have you requested for an early check-in. Just to inform you, we are sold out tonight (I always get this for an answer when I ask for early check-in)  but I will let housekeeping know of your request and we will do our best to get you set up with your upgrade and early check-in.

We look forward to your arrival.

Would not a platinum guest be upgraded to concierge anyway?  Would it not be complimentary?

Would you have an upgrade to a suite available?

1. Mr. FRANKTAFL

I looked into a suite to see if we have that available for you and we have other guests that have purchased the suites for their stay. Along with suites, staying on the concierge level is a purchased upgrade. As a Platinum, you will always have access to the lounge, and when available, to a concierge level room. We upgrade our Platinum Guests to the best rooms that are available at check-in. I assure you our staff would love to give you a suite if it was available. If anything changes, I would be happy to put you in a suite. I will notate it on your reservation to see if there are any suites that become available.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Maybe I am sounding self serving in ASKING for an upgrade but just having access to the lounge is NOT an upgrade as far as I can tell.  If they have an empty room, what's the pain?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...