38 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2011 8:19 PM by jerrycoin RSS

My first car

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

1963.jpg

My first car.  A 1963 Ford Galaxie convertible, repainted canary yellow by the previous owner but with a 427 ci V8 and Police Interceptor add-ons to make it very fast

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Pierre, South Dakota, USA
  • Re: My first car
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Cool.  There are so many cars that I "used to have" that I would love to have back now!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Me too, this one lost to a truck on the PA turnpike.

Glad you were OK.  Or were you in the car at the time?

Yep. I was. three weeks in rehab as a result

Ouch.  Glad we still have you around.  Besides, who else would jasper have to make fun of besides me, if you weren't here?

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

It is nice to have easy targets!!!

So true--we are his foils

And I thank you for that!!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

How about a used 1957 red/white Ford.  Paid $250 for it and drive it for thousands of miles in 1966.

Unfortunately, my first car cost me $100 and I don't even remember what it was.  I could not afford cars like SSSSS or Jeryrcoin and was just happy to have one that ran, albeit not very well!!!

Jasper,

When all you have is $250 to buy a car, I don't think that's to "Exotic".  Of course, I could buy gas in 1966 for 19.9 cents a gallon (Gas wars!)

Mine was free--long story

I'm ashamed to say my dad bought me my first car.  I always took it as an insult that he thought I was harmless enough, that he bought me a station wagon!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Back then, got my license at 14 along with a used hand me down from parents, 1961 Falcon.  Owned two more falcons after that, and like Jerry I vividly remember those gas wars.  And now I get excited when I find gas for $2.95/gal in St. Louis.  What a pity.  Life was so simple then.

Life is always simpler pre children???

jasper, i've also noticed that it's somewhat simpler since they're grown and gone also.

Things may be simpler when they're grown, but they're not any cheaper when they're gone

Jasper,

I was and expert on kids, till I had one!

No practice for fatherhood that's for sure.

Wow--so cheap compared to the Golden State, but celery can be had for 25 cents a head at the farmer's markets here and roses are two bucks a dozen!

Is there a car that runs on celery and roses?  Only in California...

Yes and no--saw a Lotus Elan this morning that said on the gas cap, "Jet Fuel Only."

We have souped up tractors at the Saturday night tractor pulls that run on jet fuel.

NU,

My buddy had a Falcon, and we thought it was so "Cool"!  Anything was better than "Walking"!

"Anything was better than "Walking"

Roger that.

Nu,

Can you remember "Walking" to everything?

I remember "Hitch hiking" to in the 60's, and getting rides in "409's" and "Barricuda's", what a different world.

Honestly, I can say I never "had" to hitchhike, but we sometimes did it for fun just to see if a car load of pretty girls on their way to the lake would pick us up.  Not a lot of rides...maybe that explains why I didn't hitchhike very much.

Anyone ride in the trunk to get in a drive in for no cost?

Not me, but it always sounded like it'd be a lot of fun!

Did it to a friend myself

SS,

When they did away with the $1 per carload, we started getting in the trunk.  My buddy and I would get into the trunk and let our future wives drive us into the show.  Once, they actually had the car in front of us open their trunk, but let the our two future wives drive right in.  We never did it again after that!  I could not get over whey they did not check our car.  I do not remember ever seeing two woman at the drive in alone.

We were never caught, but then again we knew the ticket booth people pretty well.  One of my friendsdrove out with the speaker still on his window! Ah yes a misspent youth!

I still enjoy going to the drive-in a few miles from here.  Amazing how bad the speakers are.  I forgot how accustomed we have gotten to seeing and hearing high quality media now.  Still have the same old low-technology mosquitos though!

There is one in Wellfleet MA (or was last summah) that uses the FM signal in the car radio

Nice!  Ours still have the old cable and roll down the window and hang it in the window, so the mosquitos have a clear shot at you.  And of course you want to be there at dusk when they are out the most!!

Mosquitoes--;left them behind years ago!

No, never rode in the trunk of a car..that is for super stars only!!!

Great memories,

The last drive-in I went to was in Pierre, SD!  No Marriott's then, but a neat town, and quite a historical place.  The capital of SD and a real "Frontier town".

Location Brand Hotel
    Pierre, South Dakota, USA

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...