21 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2011 12:49 PM by anadyr RSS

MRI & Social Media? Survey suggests it does not work!

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The article refers to more traditional customer loyalty, but could easily apply to hotel loyalty. In regards to offering social media, "several other techniques are far more likely to resonate with consumers and encourage them to do repeat business with companies." The article goes on to suggest (appropriate for hoteliers), techniques that resonate with customers "having a say in products and services; control of channels and frequency of received communications and a choice of channels to contact a company."

See: Social Falls Short On Customer Loyalty, Traditional Methods Encouraged

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: MRI & Social Media? Survey suggests it does not work!
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Great article.  Too bad it didn't get read and heeded before the big overhaul to the site!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm what many would consider a "light" facebook user. I visit it less than twice per week. I'm not all that knowledgeable about the functionality, but I do get a kick out of pictures from friends and family. I must have given Marriott Caribbean Hotels the okay to send me posts on facebook. They are the only "non person" appearing there for me. The pictures are nice but, I haven't opened any to read through the ad, as of yet.

As far as this sight is concerned, I'm very comfortable poking around for info from other MR members along with corporate folks. I do read through the concierge section and any announcements concerning hotels.

So, currently for me, Marriott gets most of my attention through this site, then the marriott.com site, then e-mails, then facebook, in that order. The first two locations are sites that I visit. The next two are sites that are soliciting me.

painedplatinum,

Nice breakdown of how you use the communications, and in what order.  For things Marriott related, I would say my order is:

1)  Marriott.com

2) Insiders

3) Email

4) Twitter (subscribe to hotels that have a feed that I am interested in)

Marriott Associate Member

Greetings and happy Monday!  Just a little background on this study:  it was commissioned by Pitney Bowes.  And guess what else the 'study' concluded...  that direct mail is more effective!  Wow - how convenient...  As my consultant buddies always say, ask your customer what outcome they expect, then deliver it...

No brand in their right minds would ever concentrate their efforts in one type of communication channel.  Rule of thumb is to be present wherever the 'eyeballs' are, so we all operate with a variety of channel plays.

Regarding social media, this site has always been officially classified as a type of social media channel, known as a 'forum'.  So you Insiders are trend setters!  WOOT WOOT!

MichelleL

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Most interesting!

No Facebook for me, just MI.

• MRI & Social Media? Survey suggests it does not work!
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Seems to contradict earlier reports

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Not sure if others have had this happen, but I seem to be getting more offers for a 'promotional' program being offered that asks me to sign up for the program by going through their Facebook site. What they don't realize is that when they ask me to do that, I'm never signing up. I just don't do Facebook. I do have a Facebook account, but know that I'd be bombarded with needless inuendo if I used it on a regular basis. 

Really, I don't need to know that my Grandma's sister's niece told her cousin that their old neighbor said her girlfriend went to the grocery store!

It allows personal data from Facebook to be pulled, then you get ads "tailored" for you. Not a nice practice

Technically, an advertiser does not know your identity or any of your personal data - FB just gives an opportunity to target ads based on prescribed demographics.  We never will know who you are.  BTW, this type of personalization happens all the time on the WWW

Perhaps it does happen all the time but we need not like that it does. Jest sayin'

Yep.  Just didn't want to sound the Big Brother alarm...  We're heavily involved in FB and I'm happy to answer any questions you have relative to what brands can/can't do on that platform.  Or why they do it.

True.  The days of being invisible are over, unless you don't visit the web, don't get credit cards, don't have a bank account, and pay for everything in cash.  Just the fact that we're here chatting, shows we want to be involved in all these things and want to learn and explore new things.  Life is an evolution, and the www is responsible for some of that fastest developments out there.  I look it at the world's biggest and fastest library.  Unfortunately, along with all the neat things that we get, the www brings us all closer and allows everyone to find out more about each other.  How else would we have know jasper was at Epcot and GSS was in the ER?  Good stuff along with the bad.

That's exactly right.  Cannot agree more wholeheartedly!

Let us know how to get in on the FB IPO. I missed out on Google but thank goodness I have my Bershire-Hathaway!

If you like The Onion, check out this 'report' on how the CIA owns Facebook - hilarious!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...