15 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2011 2:27 PM by jkernitzki RSS

Platinum Gift on Arrival

thecamel Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am just about to have my first stay at Marriott as a Platinum Rewards member.

A couple of questions about the gift on arrival...

1. Do you have to ask for the gift? Or do they offer you a gift on checking in?

2. If you aren't offered a gift, who do you ask for the $100 compensation?

3. Do you receive a gift for a reward stay?

Thanks!

Camel

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Gift on Arrival
    shawnecooper Platinum

They will always offer the gift.   You can get a beer, sodas, red or white wine 1/2 bottle nad your choice of nuts, ice cream, cheese and crackers.  Same everywhere really.  I always go for the wine and cheese. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

thecamel Platinum

Thanks!

Should I expect the gift on a reward stay as well as a paid stay?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Depends on who checks you in but it never hurts to ask.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

ss

why would it depend on who checks you in?  I always get the 500 bonus points when on a points stay.  Are the bonus points and arrival award considered differently?

Good question.  Depends on the hotel and time of day, and with rewards points there is a forgetfulness factor that I have needed to address over the years several times

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I always take the points and I've always received them for all my reward stays.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Same here!!!!

I must be jinxed

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

hahahaha.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

How can SSSSS be jinxed..Don't they know you are a super star and a former ambassador!!!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

thecamel,

Actually, on our last stay we weren't asked about the arrival gift.  When we got ready to checkout, I asked why we hadn't been asked about our welcome gift and they looked on my account and said that someone had just put the points on my account.  I mentioned that the T & C for Platinum members says that we are to be asked for our preference and there is a guaranteed compensation of $100.  The checkin clerk was very nice about it, and said I was right.  She went and talked to the manager who actually gave me $100 cash on the spot. 

You may have to contact customer service if the manager doesn't take care of you.  The bottom line is that the T & C says you are supposed to be asked which gift you would like, at the participating hotels, and that the compensation, if you are not asked (amount depends on the brand of hotel), is due to you.  I have heard of members getting a gift card in the mail, or you may get cash.  It will all depend.  You should probably read the last part of the Platinum Elite Level benefits closely before you decide to bring up the issue.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

Tryt53,

I'm pretty surprised.  I've had two instances where they messed up and they always try to add the points to cover it up.

The first time I asked for the $100 guarantee, they instead were very reluctant and since they still charged for internet in those days, suggested crediting the internet charges instead.  Since I was being reimbursed for the bill, they saved my client $100 and covered up the fact that they failed to deliver.

The second time, at another hotel, they must have spent hours documenting why they tried to deliver the gift and couldn't (this despite room service and the maid having no problems).  There were no phone calls, no note under the door, nothing.

When that didn't work, they then tried refunding using some sort of absurd exchange rate that only a tourist would be given.....this lessened the compensation by a good 20%. 

After they spent so long trying to avoid the issue, I wasn't going to let them get away with that, so I suggested we settle the room charges, recalculating them to the exchange rate they had used.

I've never had an issue at any other hotels than those two.

They always present a card for you to fill out and sign, so there should be no issue with the hotel saying you chose points when you did not.

Please note that I was not so concerned about the $100 rather than the ethics surrounding the issue of giving a guarantee and not standing up to it...

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

Chardonnay & nuts, every time.  Usually my last night of a trip is at an airport Marriott, so I treat myself, as the rest of the week is in the hinterlands somewhere (CY/FI/SH, etc.). A recent stay (MKE West?) ended up being a full bottle.  A happy camper was I.

jpmurrays Platinum 2 Reviews

I've never called them on it, but I've recieved points every time.  On occasion, I'll get some waters.  One week, they almost sent me packing because they were full, I reminded them of the T&C's and they bumped a non-Marriott Rewards guest.  I felt special that day.