6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2011 4:21 PM by jasper100 RSS

Paying for Parking and VALET ONLY!

franktafl Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I recently WAS going to stay at a hotel in Tallahassee Florida where I HAD to pay for parking AND they had VALET ONLY!  I didn't know they would not let me park my own vehicle so I made a reservation at another facility and went there.  The desk person, when I told her that I needed to cancel my reservation, made a snide comment that they have a TWO DAY CANCELLATION POLICY, but, under the circumstances, she would see what she could do (talk about an attitude).

First off, I don't VALET my car any longer, too many things missing.  I have an alarm system but they hardly ever set it.  Also, I don't think we should have to pay for parking when we stay at a property...  What are your thoughts?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Paying for Parking and VALET ONLY!
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

good question.  I would first need to know the specific circumstances.  for example, was the parking facility owned by the hotel property or by someone else?  Was the the property owned by the hotel but run by a parking management company?  was there some out-of-the-ordinary reason for "valet-or-bust" policy?  bottom line, I have stayed at properties, Marriott Boston Harbor comes to mind, where on-site parking is astronomical and the price is the SAME whether you valet or self park.  It bothered me, but didn't make me change properties.  I always check the parking rates before hand so there are no surprises. If, in your case, the property ran their own parking service and had plenty of useable space, the idea of requiring valet parking would seem to be unreasonable in my opinion. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

First of all..Go Seminoles...Was this a Marriott Property..Because I was unaware that any Marriott properties in Tallahassee charged for parking...and I have spent many nights in Tallahassee at Marriotts?

• Paying for Parking and VALET ONLY!
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Shoeman asked the right questions and made the right comments.  The standard story is that the parking is a concession and as such must charge since Marriott charges them.  I posted long ago that Platinum members should be exempt from these charges, especially in NYC where the Marquis charges 80 a day!  No deal from the folks at HQ. Maybe we should ask again?

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I would agree that we should ask again.  Maybe with the "new" involvement from Marriott personnel on Insiders, they can elevate the question a little higher?

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

There's only one property in Tally that has valet parking, and it's the Hotel Duval, part of the new Autograph Collection. I had wanted to stay there during a previous trip but was put-off by the valet only parking, which is clearly spelled out on the website. The building doesn't have any onsite parking, which is the reason for the valet.

Surprisingly, one of the best Marriott properties in Tallahassee is the Springhill Suites. It is so hip that I thought I was staying in a place five times the cost.

Go Noles!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

11/26/11

Florida State 24 Florida 7

In my Humble Opinion as an FSU Graduate!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...