25 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2011 12:40 AM by anadyr RSS

Elite for Life

liveonaplane Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a Marriott program for Elite for life as there is on many of the airlines?  If so, what is the threshold?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Elite for Life
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Rock Star

Lonestar - see this post: http://www.marriottrewardsinsiders.marriott.com/thread/7648<</a>/p>

A Copy/Paste from another:

“Change to Elite Lifetime Status Qualification

Marriott Rewards has reviewed the Lifetime qualification criteria based on member feedback from the Insiders that the required points threshold seemed too high compared to the thresholds for nights and years. After analysis, we agree and will re-set lifetime point thresholds (starting mid-January) for all levels so they are consistent with the other required activity metrics (years enrolled in the program and nights stayed).

Years enrolled in the program and nights stayed will not change (Platinum, Gold and Silver Elite Lifetime still requires 12 years participation in the program. Platinum Lifetime  requires 1000 nights stayed and paid for, Gold requires 800 paid nights and Silver 600 paid nights. The new points threshold will be as follows:

-Silver Elite Lifetime - 1.5 million points now 1.2 million points.

-Gold Elite Lifetime - 2 million points now 1.6 million points

-Platinum Elite Lifetime - 3 million points now lowered to 2 million points”

liveonaplane Platinum 10 Reviews

Thanks for all the info.  I'm looking on the website, but I don't see the year I joined or my total points accummulated to date.  Do you know where that is on the website?

Thanks for all the info.  I'm looking on the website, but I don't see the year I joined or my total points accummulated to date.  Do you know where that is on the website?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Plane-living-Dudette,

The joined date and lifetime points are not available as of yet on this site...Jerry's advise to call the hotel is the way to go.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

You'll get that information from the Platinum or Platinum Premier folks. Takes just a minute for them to find it, but they will

Rock Star

Lonestar - see this post: http://www.marriottrewardsinsiders.marriott.com/thread/7648<</a>/p>

A Copy/Paste from another:

“Change to Elite Lifetime Status Qualification

Marriott Rewards has reviewed the Lifetime qualification criteria based on member feedback from the Insiders that the required points threshold seemed too high compared to the thresholds for nights and years. After analysis, we agree and will re-set lifetime point thresholds (starting mid-January) for all levels so they are consistent with the other required activity metrics (years enrolled in the program and nights stayed).

Years enrolled in the program and nights stayed will not change (Platinum, Gold and Silver Elite Lifetime still requires 12 years participation in the program. Platinum Lifetime  requires 1000 nights stayed and paid for, Gold requires 800 paid nights and Silver 600 paid nights. The new points threshold will be as follows:

-Silver Elite Lifetime - 1.5 million points now 1.2 million points.

-Gold Elite Lifetime - 2 million points now 1.6 million points

-Platinum Elite Lifetime - 3 million points now lowered to 2 million points”

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Live,

You can always call Marriott's "Hot line", and customer service will give you your Marriott History.  Good luck!

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

I used the chat line online, very simple.

And, found I'm well over the threshold for points (2.4M the hard way), I've been over 1K nights for a couple years now, and passed 12 years in October and have been Platinum (or PP) for eleven of them.

Guess I should be getting something from Marriott in the mail soon…

Yes..Congrats!!! Welcome to the club!!!

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I have mixed feelings. I worked hard to get my lifetime under the "old" rules and feel that changing the qualifications will only water down the status some more when more people check-in in front of me holding the card out. But for those that will be making it to Lifetime Plat, I feel for you because the 1000 nights are still in effect and I know just how difficult it is to attain it.

My biggest beef (which I have written about here previously) is with those that "earn" Gold & Plat by simply using their Marriott Visa card and having Vacation Club stays count toward elite without having to do the hard work that we have.

A person once told me that folks who originally signed with Marriott Vacation Club (back in its infancy) were granted Life Platinum Elite status (used to be called "Platinum Emeritus" ) just for buying a couple weeks.  Can anyone confirm that?

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I'm not so sure about that. The concept of Silver/Gold/Platinum does not go back decades in the Honored Guest Awards program as the Marriott timeshare business does.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I agree with the 1,000 nights how hard it will be to attain it.  I personally have been with Marriott for a decade and have attained Platinum status a few times.  At my current pace, I will have hit all of the requirements of LifeTime Platinum status in 2 years.  EXCEPT that I will be about 300 nights short!

I agree that it is a high threshold but then Marriott made the decision to lower the points needed--who knows maybe the nights will be next?

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

in my opinion, 1000 nights for a 'road warrior' in only about 10-15 years of loyalty.  i think the number of nights shouldn't be adjusted.  just for comparison, it takes 10-15 years of loyalty to a air carrier to achieve the highest lifetime level. 

Agreed Shoeman.

Right on..Shoeman!!!!

Aye, aye matey(s)!

travfood Platinum

Shoeman,

I am with you.  Unfortunately, I am sure Marriott bent the rules to water down the ability to reach it as we do in the mainstream society for most things.  We don't understand the meaning of Elite or Premium or working towards something that is supposed to be an achievement (in this case, achievement might not convey the right mind set).  It also seems to sting a bit when someone buys a couple of weeks as a timeshare owner that they would get the same treatment as those of us who spend time away from our family.  Being a Road Warrior is not for everyone nor should everyone enjoy the status

Well said from a Road Warrior who has earned Lifetime Platinum Member!!!

This ought to be exclusive and at these levels it is.  That being said I am not so sure that everyone gets the benefits of LPE that they deserve since apparently the screen at check-in does not make the distinction between regular and life platinum, and as been said here repeatedly, the Platinum bennies are not much more than the Gold, and often get very little in the way of upgrades.

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

I don't see the lower point requirement as necessarily "diluting" the achievement.  My 2.4 million points are spread over 1300 paid nights, for a rough average of $185 per night. Most of those were in Courtyards, Fairfields, and the like in East Nowhere, Oklahoma and other "fly-over" locations. Folks that stayed in major downtown full Marriotts, billing meals, parking, and everything else to the room have an easier time accruing the point level.  So, because my client base is heavily rural, I should be considered less worthy than those in the major cities? I'd welcome a change that ignored points, but based solely on nights & years. Not all of us can spend every week in a JW, Renaissance, or Marquis (all of which I find a bit annoying, TBH). Sure, I recognize that the points represent the financial value you hold for the chain, but there has to be a balance between pure revenue and actual loyalty.

Points from vacation clubs and credit cards are what dilute the value.  Just as with airlines and Butt-In-Seat miles, I think hotel status should have Butt-In-Bed nights as the primary measure if points are to be counted.

All that being said, I am enjoying my stay at the Marriott Baltimore Waterfront, where the manager sent up a full bottle of wine in recognition of my just-achieved LTP status.

Yeah, it's good to be King.

Good reward!