13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2011 2:35 PM by chrisf RSS

Why are Marriott 'Special Rates' so hard to secure?

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This evening I received an email entitled ... "Let Marriott treat you this festive season" ... and it suggested ... "See the New Year in Marriott Hotels across the UK ... Make this New Year's Eve an evening to remember when you celebrate with Marriott. From stunning Hotel & Country Clubs set in rolling green parklands, to vibrant city centre locations, with champagne receptions, fireworks at midnight, sumptuous gala dinners and dancing into the night, wherever you choose to spend your New Year's Eve, Marriott guarantee to make it a magical one."

The email arrived at 6pm this evening (two and a half hours ago) and I have tried 7 hotels so far ... none of them have the special rates available!!!

Is it just me, or do others find it difficult to get these 'special rates'?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why are Marriott 'Special Rates' so hard to secure?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Chriss,

Are they "Sold out?

Have not had that problem, but I did not get the email from Marriott.

Do you have a "Hot line", to call Marriott?

Please let us know what happens.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Why are Marriott 'Special Rates' so hard to secure?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I got this in the mail, and have not tried to book, but these are generally capacity controlled rates -- you have to book them as soon as you see them.  If you have a reservation number in the UK for Platinums please use that one.

I started trying within an hour of the email arriving.  Every hotel that I tried shows 'none available for your dates'.  I was trying for the days over New Year.

I do have a Platinum reservation number but they rarely know the details of the specific package; I have generally had to call the hotel for that.  We stayed at the Dalmahoy in Edinburgh a few years back and the New Year package was excellent.  I'll get on the case tomorrow ... it's just so tedious.  If they advertise a package with a promotional code, it should surely be easier to book than this!

I think this is an issue for the Community Managers to explain don't you?

I'm looking forward to the potential UK forum.  Hopefully it will be beneficial to both Marriott and the guests.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Chris, my proper English speaking friend, this has been a sore spot for quite awhile. There are at least two threads on here that have spoken to this issue. The same problem crops up when hotels are mentioned as point savers and the finest toothed comb can not find the dates when these rates are actually offered. it leaves a very bad taste of bait and switch.

traveler2 Platinum

I can't tell you how many times I have run into this exact situation! I have actually called minutes after the email came out and still nothing available. I can't believe they are booked and making the offering so I have to believe that they don't have it all together!  I think that reservations just doesn't know what Marriott is doing! Case of left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing!!!!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I could not agree more -- since I'll be in the UK mid-December I immediately clicked on the link and tried hotel after hotel after hotel....and every single one said the promotional rate/feature was unavailable for the time period (same as specified by Marriott in the promotion).  I have had this happen so many times before and often don't even bother to check anymore since it almost never allows me to sign up for a special promotion.  Why is Marriott clogging our mailboxes with promotions that don't exist?  (All the hotels in their list were ones I clicked on.)

Sigh, ProfC

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews

Same here. Tried to book immediately I got the email to no avail. Some of the rates were very good, infact, some seemed too cheap to be honest and guess what - none of them were available at the cheap rates. In addition the tool on the site allowing you to search for flexible available dates said it didnt work on this promotion. I think these rates did not exist in the first place, and I hate to use the word "con" but thats what I think it is. Marriott dangle the carrot with these tempting offers but they're not as adversited. I called Marriott rewards team and they just said "oh they're not available anymore" - i explained I'd simply just gone straight to the web having only receieved the email minutes before and they put me on hold for ages and ages, and came back with the same answer. Marriott are taking us for fools. Its about time someone from Marriott spoke up and gave us a proper, honest answer. I was prepared to stay at some of these properties in London anytime as I live there, but they were so good and I'd build up my nights credit to Platinum and bonus points on the Visa megabonus promotion. Am NOT impressed with Marriott one little bit and they are pushing me further anf further away to Hilton.

Agreed.  These are teaser rates since they exist in very limited quantities.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

My question is: do they exist in any quantity at all?  I have NEVER gotten one of these rates, despite trying to do so almost immediately.

Prof C ... given the amount of European travel that you do, it may be useful to have a few non-UK participants in the forum that spend a fair amount of time in 'old Blighty' ... I'll see if Jerry would participate too ... if the forum has legs!

Hi ... I had the same problem but when I called the Marriott 'hub', I declined to be put on hold.  I am trying to get a UK Forum going with the Community Manager team ... it would be great if you could participate.  I am still prepared to give Marriott the 'benefit of the doubt' and hope that this is just a marketing **** up rather than anything devious ... it will be useful to ask a CM this direct question.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...