15 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2011 12:14 AM by anadyr RSS

FRO fighting, the TRAXO way

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Recently I posted the bad news that faked hotel reviews (FRO's) are everywhere, and now that Marriott is going to put customer reviews on the web at its site it's interesting to see how the fakers (the bad guys that is) will react. As in the history of criminology, the crooks immediately react to or in some cases anticipate law enforcement methods to apprehend them, and the cycle goes on and on and on, with the upper hand being lost and gained on a minute to minute basis.

As this article mentions, the issue is one of validating that the reviewer has actually stayed at the location where he or she is reviewing.  TRAXO does something to assist in this by querying FF and Hotel Loyalty programs (with the permission of the member) to see if a stay is anticipated and then recorded.

However, fake reviews will continue to be a fact of life, In my opinion, and something that we'll have to live with for as long as there are ways to post them,

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: FRO fighting, the TRAXO way
    chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

SSSS, the MI community is not that large at the moment and there are many 'handles' that I now recognise and trust.  Provided we add our 'handle' to any reviews that we submit, we'll know that there are at least some that can be trusted.  Is there a way that we can ensure that MI members can be readily linked to a review without making it overly complicated.  I think that pingreeman suggested something along these lines a while back.

Ooops ... this sounds far to serious a post!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Agreed, but it seems that we can tell who the ringers are...if we are careful. As I said before the community seems to be self-regulating, and even the extreme views are ameliorated.  If we have the time we might begin our reviews with a coded phrase, such as "Rule Brittania," "Semper Paratus," or my favorite, "What me Worry?" (Apologies at Alfed E. Newman)

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

So do you think a handle/userid like "ringer1" will give someone away?

Or "shill1" might do it too.  Or "Itotallymadethisup."

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

OK, I want to join in this too ... "theypaidmewell"

Bravo!!!!!  "Iusedtobehonest" was already claimed by a bunch of politicians.

I'm guessing that if you were review rock stores and giving them all 100% reviews, you would use something like "jasper100", but I can't imagine anyone doing that!

wait, steppingstones sounds like he might own one of those rock stores.  I should step lightly!!

I have seen Rock of Ages twice on Broadway, and live on a granite mountain, but that's my only rock connections--other than my time with Journey and Pink Floyd a couple decades ago

I would say those are pretty cool rock connections.  What did your time with Journey and Pink Floyd consist of?

Usual stuff, sitting in the audience, listening, that kind of things

I thought you might have been more involved with the bands, you know, like managing them or something.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

ss likes to s-t-r-e-t-c-h the imagination a bit.  his native american name might be "full of bull"......

Was that a slur against my tribe?  Remember that we were here first!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...