19 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2015 1:48 PM by into RSS

New Orleans JW Marriott

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just returned from an excellent stay at the JW Marriott in New Orleans. I was recognized as a platinum eltie member, asked for my preference of welcome gifts, and upgraded to a deluxe corner suite on the Concierge floor (27th floor). The Concierge Lounge is very nice with fantastic views of the Mississippi River and a great spread for breakfast and evening. After calling down on our second night with some frustrations with the airconditioning system in our room, an engineer came promptly. The next day I was surprised to learn that I had been given 5000 bonus reward points for my inconvenience!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New Orleans, LA
  • Re: New Orleans JW Marriott
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Nan,

Great to hear, never stayed there, but will put it on my list.  Have been staying at The Ren. across Canal Street from the Quarter, and it is also nice.  Would really enjoy the view from the nice room. 

Nan, if you get those pictures up on your posts, it would be great.  If any of us can help you, let us know.  It is tough at first, but once you get it down, it is great.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    New Orleans, LA
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Yes..I have stayed here in past and was treated very well including an upgrade to a suite!!!! More Marriott hotels need to provide the kind of service the JW Marriott New Orleans gives!!!

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Yes, I agree with you nan, it is an excellent hotel.  We stayed there in 2006 for Jazz Fest.  I took the family ... there were six of us and we had three rooms.  I was expecting them to just upgrade my wife and myself, but they upgraded the whole family to the Concierge Level!!  They also gave us a load of bonus points as there were still a few Katrina related problems, e.g. the pool was still out of use.  What great people!

Despite still being in major recovery mode from the devastation, the people of New Orleans were 'so' welcoming.  Jazz Fest was brilliant.  We ate in Shula's one evening (in the JW) ... the food and service were brilliant ... huge portions.

Jerry, I guess that you will have been to The Court of Two Sisters in the French Quarter? ... my favourite when in NO.  Cafe du Monde had also opened in time for Jazz Fest ... so, coffee & beignets whenever we passed.

My wife was really taken with the wonderful flower display in the lobby area ...

DSC00316.JPG

The Court of Two Sisters ... future son-in-law was the photographer ...

DSC00290_edited-1.JPG

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Wow, this sounds like the place to stay when we go to New Orleans.  I love finding out tips like this before you, not after and wishing you had stayed somewhere else.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Tryt, if you can coincide your visit with one of the Jazz Fest weekends, it would be even better (provided you like blues/jazz, of course) ... prices tend to be a little higher, but they were not excessive ... www.nojazzfest.com

Thank you Chris,

For sure!  We love blues and jazz, and I can't think of a better place to see it.  It is behind a few other vacations, but somewhere we both would love.  We also love cajun food, and I can't think of a better place for all of these!!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Chriss,

Nice pictures!

Lovely memories for all of you!

Having never stayed at that Marriott is really looks inviting.

Thanks.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Have the rooms been updated? I stayed there in late 2008 and the rooms were looking very tired and still had those big, "old fashioned" picture tube TV's. I also recall the corridors were absolutely frigid.

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

Well, though, the hallways still remain frigid, the room itself seemed fresh and updated.  Nothing worn or shabby. The TV was a large(40+ inch) flat screen. We were on the concierge level (27th floor) so I can't say for certain how all the other floors' rooms are looking.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

I hope it is in better shape than it was three years ago.  No staff.  Door not working in concierge lounge.  No hot water in the morning.  Valet got car out and left it inattended in New Orleans with keys in it.

I know that hurricane Katrina caused a lot of difficulties, but this was quite a ways post Katrina.

The young lady in the concierge lounge was really nice, although it was hard to get in there due to the door not working.

It is well located, so if they've brought it up to standard, the views are nice.

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

For all our needs, it was very well staffed. We had no car, so didn't have contact with the valet service. I guess I do remember that it took a few minutes for the water to get really hot in the morning, but it didn't take too long. My husband loved his shower. (I'm a bathtub person so enjoyed the sloped tub.) All in all, I would say that it's up to 'full speed' now (post-Katrina) with plenty of efficient and concientious employees... our overall experience was great.

Good to hear.

It was my wife who had issues with the hot water.

The no staff remark was because there was on one at the front desk at all, and then when someone finally did get there....no bellmen.  Then of course, upon leaving, no one watching the car.

We had to leave early for a flight so went to the airport and ended up having no breakfast, so we upgraded to first class on AA hoping for a better seat and a breakfast.  Do you know what they gave us?  A cookie!  Same ones they have in the rest of the plane.  That trip was the last time I flew AA.  I've flown 50 - 60,000 miles a year since, none of it on them.  I didn't shed any tears when they filed for bankruptcy protection today.

As to the Marriott...well I stayed at the Marriott across the street the next time I was in N.O.  It was okay but if they've fixed the JW, which I believe used to be a hotel Meridien, then I expect it'll be better.

Hard to believe you only got a cookie for First Class.  We just flew first class with Alaska on our flight to Puerto Vallarta, and the meals were very good, we thought.

Haha...you find it hard to believe too?  Okay, we got coffee too.   Seriously, it was the worst first class I'd ever seen before or since.  Even American at one time used to be better.   We'll forever remember that we only got a cookie.  I had to settle for a hot dog pretzel when we got to Dallas (my first "hot dog pretzel").

Usually, first or executive class is pretty good. 

New Orleans also doesn't have much in the way of airlilne clubs...I think Delta is the only one, doesn't do me any good.

Thanks for the response.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

The New Orleans Airport is currently being renovated in preparation for the Super Bowl.  We hope they planning to include some decent restaurants.  For a city known for its food, the choices at the airport are pitiful.  I guess they figure everybody has eaten their fill.

Razorbackfan, I do hope they are planning some nice restaurants too.  The ones they have are overpriced and of limited quality.   The whole place seems to shut down early too.

Might, just might, give the JW another chance...

I stayed in the regular Marriott last time I stayed in N.O, but generally I stay in Baton Rouge when I am in that neck of the woods.

erc Platinum

My post begins exactly like Nanaglo's - excellent check in experience, corner room (22nd floor), and enjoyable CL experience. The lounge has terrific views north and south, serves a terrific breakfast, and a decent enough dinner for anyone not wanting to eat out every nite (we did). The exercise room has excellent cardio and strength machines as well as free weights. The pool is small, chairs are at a premium, and the sun falls on it for only 3-4 hours a day (good or bad depending on your point of view). We were told you are allowed to use your room key to access the two pools at the Marriott across the street, but I had serious food consumption on my mind and didn't have time for pool activities.

The best find for us was the I Club. Irvin Mayfield's club down off the lobby. Very entertaining, no cover, and reasonably priced beverages - great for taking a night or two off from Bourbon Street. New Orleans hosts the 2013 Super Bowl, so the Saints are sponsoring free concerts Wednesdays just a few blocks away at Lafayette Square and we were fortunate enough to catch a terrific hour and a half show with Trombone Shorty. Two weeks left in this spring, but it picks up again in the fall, look for it, it's a blast (and free with food carts all around - ha ha). Got terrific sports coverage of the SEC baseball tournament (my Miss. boys knocked off Razorback's nine, but then were eliminated by LSU). Enjoyed the Times Picayune, but learned of their new three day a week policy, so glad I caught the coverage when I did.

Bon Ton Cafe had terrific crawfish etoufee and a dessert Bread Pudding w/whiskey sauce that probably causes those under 30 to be carded - fantastic.

Acme, Felix's for raw oysters, Drago's for grilled (although at $2 a pop, a bit of a splurge). Oceana Grill had in my opinion the best red beans and rice. Crescent City Brewhouse for a good gallery (as opposed to balcony) view of Decatur and some very nice freshly brew suds (and a delicious vanilla ice cream with praline, caramel, pecan sauce). Mulate's served up good enough dishes to relax and enjoy the zydeco which began at the very pleasing hour of 7 pm.  Avoiding the line at K-Pauls, went to Emeril's Nola where every dish was delicious, especially the gumbo and the banana pudding layer cake with hot fudge (gee, I'm noticing a trend here in my highlights) was fantastic.  And wrapping up, without a Saturday breakfast, ventured down deep into the Quarter before it got too steamy (Brennan's patio wasn't open for breakfast) and bypassed Cafe DuMonde's already huge waiting line, filled with us tourists (like I needed a beignet anyway) and went instead one block further to the French Market Cafe, more than adequate $9 buffet, excellent coffee and a nice breezy outdoor patio to people watch. Believe it or not, there were other places I stopped in at and dined, but nothing special (but nothing bad enough to warn against).

Strongly recommend the Southern Style Tours (picks you up around the corner) for a superb three hour tour (like Gilligan's) of all parts of the city. I was able to snag a Living Social Bogo (remember those?) but even at full fare $30 pp it's worth it and very, very informative, even for frequent visitors. Makes stops in city park and Brad Pitts re-settlement to purchase fresh made pralines, a good time had by all.  That's it for now, gotta go hit the treadmill, I've got about 10 pounds of jambalaya to lose.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Hey erc, yeah, my Hogs had a quick stay in Hoover.  We sure weren't expecting such a fast exit.  We're eagerly awaiting the decision on where they will go for the Regionals-probably College Station or Houston.  I read in the newspaper that LSU were somewhat glad to be sent home so they could rest up for the regionals.

I'm so glad you enjoyed New Orleans.  We've been encouraging people to come on down and expericence some southern hospitality including great food, great music, and a variety of things to see and do.  We really enjoy Nola's.  It must be about time for us to return.  The last few times we were in town for big sporting events, we decided to let the out-of-towners give it a try.  Thankfully, the tourist industry is recovering nicely.  I am sorry to hear that the Times-Picayune is cutting back on their print edition.  I always looked forward to reading the paper when we were in town.

into Platinum 16 Reviews

That is not what I experienced!  Although I am a Platinium member, the lady at the counter told me that the Concierge Room does not exist at this JW but only an Executive Lounge on the 1st floor!  Although I checked in on the app and requested an upgrade, I had to check in again and had to wait for the lady to look for a room for me.  Before I checked in using the app, the hotel lowered the rate from $119 when I reserved the room many months ago to $89 three days before my stay started. So, I assumed that it had plenty of rooms.  The lady told me that it did not!

After I checked in, I was told that this JW does not offer one complementary laundry service for Platinium member like other JW!   This JW is old.

UPDATED: An employee told me that the Executive Lounge was moved from the 27th floor to the 1st floor.

If you are not of the right color, do not be surprised if the Caucasian employee in the Executive Lounge in this late 40s, passed you by to give free glasses of wine to others  and ignored you.  I have to admit that other younger Caucasian employees at the Elite desk and at the Executive Lounge were very nice.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links