8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2012 8:21 AM by anadyr RSS

Kudos to the Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just finished spending my first night at this hotel, and give it a thumbs up.  This is an older hotel that has been kept up or renovated recently, and while the rooms are not as large as many of the newer hotels, they are nicely done.  I must say if you are acrophobic, you might not want to even try going out on the balcony.  We were upgraded to the Concierge Level with a view of the river, which is on the 15th floor.  The bad part about the room is the balcony, which is about the width of the double slider door, but only about 2 feet deep, really.  So if 2 people are on the balcony, they can't get past each other.  You can see how people who have a fear of heights would really have a problem with that.  The Marriott would would have given us a suite upgrade, but the suites were already all filled.

Checkin was OK, but they got us confused with someone else and asked if we had booked with Expedia, and I mentioned we were Platinum and had booked directly with Marriott.  After that they mentioned that the suites were filled up, but they had us on the Concierge Level with a view of the river.  They didn't ask us what we wanted for our arrival gift, and didn't mention that at all (more about that later).  Everyone was very polite.  They also were going through a little renovation in the lobby and restaurant, so they told us they had the Concierge Lounge open for the weekend.  The room had a nice warm comfortable feeling, but I wouldn't rate it as exceptional for a Marriott.  The heated pool and whirlpool are salt water, and that was a new one for me.  We actually liked it and found it relaxing and soothing.  Very therapeutic!

The hotel is located in a nice location, right downtown, with a lot of good eating places and bars and entertainment within close walks.

When we got ready to checkout, I asked why we hadn't been asked about our welcome gift and they looked on my account and said that someone had just put the points on my account.  I mentioned that the T & C for Platinum members says that we are to be asked for our preference and there is a guaranteed compensation of $100.  The checkin clerk (Shanna, I believe) was very nice about it, and said I was right.  She asked if I would like 2,000 points instead, to which I replied I would rather have the gift card or credit, and she had me wait for a minute while she got the manager on duty, Lora.  Lora was very apologetic and didn't make me feel at all like I was inconveniencing her by asking.  She went in the back room and came back with a $100 bill, which surprised me.  She also said that i would receive the 500 points still because I was supposed to have at least that.  I told her how much I appreciated the way she and the clerk handled the error on the spot, so nicely, and I would definitely come back and stay at this hotel again.  I realize people make mistakes, but when it is brought to someone's attention and it is handled so nicely, you can't help but appreciate them.

I think that the management will have a training session with the front desk, from this incident, which is what should happen.  The hope is that this may help drive Platinum Level customers getting that extra litle attention that is deserved at checkin, and during their stay.

Overall, I have to give a big Kudos to the great way, and their attitude, in handling this, and I will stay there again, for sure.

DSCN1852.JPG

DSCN1861.JPG

DSCN1850.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Portland, Oregon, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
  • Re: Kudos to the Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Tryt53,

Great post, that check-in seemed to be a little "Rough" and why did they wait to take care of you as a Platinum?

I have stayed there and I thing they had a "Champions" type of bar.  I ordered salmon. and when I asked the waiter "Why is it more expensive in Portland than St. Louis, he said they get theres further up the river, I thought that was a great one"!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    Portland, Oregon, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront

There were about 5 groups checking in, and I think by the time I got there and mentioned I was a Platinum, it either slipped the checkin clerk's mind what she was supposed to give us, or she just maybe added the points and never asked me, or told me she did it, if she did it at checkin at all.  Either way, the correction of the problem happened as soon as I mentioned it at checkout, and was handled perfectly.  The instant $100 bill was a real surprise.  I was expecting a little hesitation or just getting a gift card, or something mailed to me.

That comment about the salmon is great!  We are going to try the Portland Marriott City Center next time, just to compare, but I will go back to the Downtown Waterfront one again.

nursingprofessor Silver 10 Reviews

I unfortunately have to disagree about this Marriott on service. You are correct, it is a very nice looking hotel but the service I experienced last July was the worst experience I have ever had at a Marriott. I ALWAYS stay at Marriott so I am used to getting good service. My fiance and I went to visit a close friend and when we went to speak with concierge the next morning no one was there. I waited in a very long line at the front desk to get what I needed and asked why there was no concierge, I was told that they don't have one on weekdays! Ok, this seems odd to me but I was by no means prepared to let it ruin our vaca. Then that evening we had an unfortunate accident and my fiance broke his leg. We were in the ER and I called Marriott to have a wheelchair brought out when we arrived. I told them he had 2 unstable fractures and we would need one for him to even get out of the cab. We arrived and guess what, no wheel chair, they were more concerned with taking care of parking cars. Over the rest of our stay I asked for various items to help with the situation and could not get any of what I needed. I called room service as soon as we got into the room after spending 5 hours in the ER. It was very close (about 10 mins) to room service closing. It rang and rang and rang, no answer, I called the front desk and they said it was too late. I explained the situation, they didn't care. I asked for a couple of ziplocks so I could make ice packs and was brought 2 baggies (that go in the ice buckets) with twist ties, which obviously will get all over the bed. I asked for extra pillows so he could elevate his leg, 1 hour later no pillows. I called back and explained why I needed them immediately, 30 minutes later still no pillows. It required me walking down to the front desk to get them brought up and took a total of 2.5 hours. I was very unhappy with the whole thing. I did ask to speak with the GM and was told he was out of town. I spoke with a manager and was told they had a convention in the hotel and were busy so he couldn't make special arrangements for me in any way. I didn't complain when I got home because I had enough to deal with, 3 surgeries and 3.5 months of non-weight bearing on his right leg. I am very disappointed in Marriott.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

So sorry to hear about this experience!

Have had good experiences here, but this is sad, I hope the experience for others is not similar.

NP,

Sorry you had such a TERRIBLE experience there. I hope you talked to Marriott Customer Care about this, to see if  they could do anything to make it up!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I stayed there when it was unrenovated, and had a nice experience