I am visiting Australia and New Zealand in January/February and here is my 10 top list based on my trip itinerary and having lived in Australia:
10. Canberra - Capital of Australia
9. Melbourne, Australia
8. Christchurch, New Zealand
7. Auckland, New Zealand
6. Sydney, Australia (Sydney Opera House)
5. Marlbourough Sound, New Zealand
4. Wellington, New Zealand
3. Queenstown, New Zealand
2. Ayers Rock (Alice Springs)
and the beating of the drums....number 1
1. Great Barrier Reef (Brisbane/Cairns)
We were there in 2009. It is a struggle to limit it to 10, but here goes ...
10. Melbourne (OZ) - especially the Mornington Peninsula ... wineries are here!
9. Christchurch (NZ) - lots around the area ... I hope they have recovered from the earthquake though
8. Sydney (OZ) - Opera House / Harbour Bridge / Suzannah's House (original tenement block) / Hyde Park Barracks Museum (convict history) ...
7. Martinborough (NZ) - many wineries
6. Ferry crossing between North Is and South Is (NZ)
5. Great Barrier Reef (OZ) - be careful which trip to the reef that you book, we were disappointed - Cairns itself was very touristy
4. Mossman Gorge (OZ) - near Cairns - great rainforest walk
3. Milford Sound (NZ) - you can do an overnight cruise through the fiords - apparently it is very tranquil (we could't get a booking for the overnight but did a daytime cruise)
2. Abel Tasman Reserve (NZ) - near Nelson - only accessible by boat - no cars - great walk
1. Fox Glacier (NZ) - walk through the rainforest and step out onto a glacier
We didn't get to Ayers Rock, but I plan to have that in my top 3 'must do's' for our next visit. We spent 6 weeks travelling the region and it wasn't enough!
If you want any pics or info on interesting accommodation / places to eat, let me know. I am sure it will be a memorable trip.