37 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2011 12:11 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Salt Lake City Anyone?

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have never been to Salt Lake City but after seeing the Book of Mormon Musical it peaked my interest. Any one been there and would you recommend visiting?

These two versions of Sal Tlay Ka Siti (Salt Lake City) sung by the 2011 Tony Winner for Best Female in a Musical were highlights of the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULRlX585fLY&feature=fvsr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSIvDrHQUWY&feature=fvsr

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Salt Lake City Marriott City Center
  • Re: Salt Lake City Anyone?
    traveler2 Platinum

Been there, lived there and go there all the time for business. Both our boys were born there. It's a nice town. Clean, lots of nice restaurants, gorgeous mountain scenery. Great skiing!! Haven't scene the musical and have no clue what it's about. It's worth a few days visit!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks..it is now on my "bucket list".

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I agree with traveler2.  I was stationed at Hill AFB (about 45 minutes north of SLC) for 4 years and loved the area.  Great place for skiing.  Alta (was more of a locals ski resort when I was there) was one of my favorites.  Not extremely pricey, but some of the best slopes around.  Also great things in the area rock hunting, fishing, and hunting.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SLC,

Is a great place!

The Marriott is in a wonderful location downtown, to walk and enjoy all the sites.

I hope the New Yorker is still available to dine, the owner, Tom, was wonderful, and always treated people very special. 

The town was so special and clean.  Loved it!  Thanks for reminding me, we are going back in March.

Location Brand Hotel
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Salt Lake City Marriott City Center

Thanks Jerry...sounds like a nice Marriott to stay at!!!

Jasper,

Used to travel there a lot, and plan to go back in March.  When you go (I don't have any pictures), try to take in Promontory Point.  They did a fascinating show there including a locomotive there in the Summer.  Likewise, there was a stately Marriott in Ogdon, that was most memorable.

Lastly, Park City has a great Marriott as well.  For one meal, that is a "Big deal", and "Worth it" go dine and see Stein Erickson Lodge, one of the most beautiful I have been to!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Jerry i agree on those suggestions and a trip around Temple Square and a view of the movie "Legacy" is well worth it.  If the Tabernacle is open it's amazing too.

SS,

Yes, to just walk over to Tabernacle and visit is amazing.  I only got to go to a rehearsal, they sang "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God" written by Martin Luther, and it was stunning.  The Marriott was nice, especially in Winter, where there was a small mall in the building.

Never heard of "Legacy", but will look it up!  Thanks!

I believe it's still there and it's free.  Done by Hollywood it chronicles the move of the LDS pioneers from NY to SLC. We were special guests for the Choir's Sunday radio and TV performance, a few years back.  You're required to be there for the one hour rehearsal, which was pitch and stage perfect, making me wonder why they need to rehearse at all?

The other day I went to historic Nauvoo, Il.

Most interesting and "Sadly, Huge" in the LDS history.  Drove over from the Quincy FF and it was a fun trip.

Likewise, I am at another FF now, in Collinsville, Il.  (It's no "Marquis", but serves my purpose")

I think all historical sights are worth visiting, myself.  The Jasper100 monument is particularly wonderful

Now you need to get out of your comfort zone and vist a place like Israel..A real adventure...I guarantee it!!!

Thanks for the info...Appreciated!!!

kchandler Silver

The downtown Marriott is quite nice.  You'll definitely want to visit Park City, but it's actually a very quick, easy drive from downtown.  The summers are nice, the air is dry.  Probably best to come in late May or early June.

kchandler...Thanks for the info!!!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Jasper,

If you like to ski, Park City is a very nice ski resort.  When I skied there years ago, it seemed like I was on the lift with someone from a different county on almost every run.  Back then, they were one of the few ski resorts in the area that had high-speed quad lifts.  Utah has nice powder to ski on, almost as nice as Colorado, maybe nicer sometimes.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Interesting feedback ... I've just added it to my bucket list too.  Just had a look on the Marriott website and I see that there are two Vacation Club properties nearby.  Has anyone stayed at either property?  Any recommendations?  Looks like we may have to have a multi-centre trip in 2013.

Dear chrisf, we'll send the plane for you!  Actually the Marriott at Temple Square is quite nice and walking distance to everything. It's fun to spend a day at the Family History Center there looking up relatives. The Joseph Smith Memorial building has great restaurants that serve food at reasonable prices. No alcohol of course. There are pubs and bars in SLC, however.

Chris,

You also may want to fly into Las Vegas and drive up to SLC. (You may be able to save money on the airline ticket)

Having done that a number of times it is an interesting drive thru the desert.  You could consider Zion National Park, or Bryce Canyon Nat. Park.  It is all Interstate and a beautiful drive.  It's 416 US Miles or a little over 600 km. from LV to SLC.

Or come to Monterey, we have nonstops to SLC.

That's a better plan!  Did not know this flight existed!

Allegiant air, which hopefully will be around for a few more years.

SSSS and Jerry

Thanks for the advice.  I've just looked at a possible route on Google Maps ... looks like there is a nice road trip on the cards ... San Francisco - Salt Lake City - Seattle - San Francisco. We get good flights to SF.  About a 2400 mile trip but we would visit 4 states that we have not yet been to (Utah, Idaho, Oregon and Washington) ... I just need to plan the stop-over ... there seem to be a lot of interesting areas on the way.  The big question now is ... can we wait till 2013?

Chrisf., except for bridge tolls it's Freeways all the way.  If you head NE on I-80, You'll traverse Donner Pass, interestingly where the Donner party dined, and head East.  Nevada is a desert, and there's not much from Reno to West Wendover at the Utah state line.  Great rise and fall on the continent.  Seattle if you go via thr Northern route takes you through  a different  geography and climate.  Portland OR on your way south  on I-5 is wonderful to visit.  If you have time go south from Portland to McMinnville, home of the air museum  that houses the Spruce Goose, or HK1 from Howard Hughes. You'll be in the Pinot Noir capital of Oregon there.

Cheers

Thanks for the driving directions..When I visit you will you drive me to SLC?

I'll have the Maybach ready with a driver.  With you be flying into the FBO (private terminal)?

Thanks, SSSS.  I certainly plan quite a few detours ... I guess a 4-5 week trip would work ... my wife doesn't like to be moving every day.  I will need to organise at least three 5-7 day stop-overs.  One will have to be in a wine area around SF!  Definitely a Pinot fan but you guys produce some stunning Cab Savs too ... brought some Robin K back with me from the last trip - awesome for the price.

I can wax forever about those Oregon Pinot Noirs, but given the amount I've consumed I can't recall when or where we visited except Rex Hill, north of McMinnville, which produces excellent fruit forward Pinots. I have CA wine recommendations too if you'd like them.

I always welcome wine recommendations.  We are drinking a nice little Gamay this evening.  One of my favourite easy drinking Pinots is Wild Horse from the Paso Robles area ... very well priced for a midweek tipple in the hotel room ... and you can buy it at Trader Joe's.  One of my interesting finds in the USA was the wines from Twisted Oak ... good solid reds.

Ah yes, thank Goodness Noah planted that vineyard or else we'd be sunk!  As for Reds there are marvelous Malbecs coming from CA now as well as Argentina.  Nero de Avila from Italy is fantastic as well. GSM blends are all the rage these days, as you know.  Primitivo remains among my favs in the Zin family.  Orson Wells was right, we will drink no wine before its time!

gbchicago Platinum 8 Reviews

There are two Marriott properties downtown now.  The brand new one at the City Center is very nice.  Great fitness center and very nice Concierge lounge. 

Thanks for the Info..Appreciated!!!

Yes, thanks for the information!

jaxtroy Member 60 Reviews

I visited Salt Lake City last September. The mountain views are beauttiful and Mormons center is something to see.

Can you post some pictures?

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.

Any pictures?

I would love to share some, but have none.

Looking forward to someone posting personal pictures of SLC!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULRlX585fLY&feature=fvsr

Could you get suggestions on where to stay?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...