13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2011 3:41 PM by anadyr RSS

To and "FRO"

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

In the trade it's called "Fake Review Optimization," the ability to generate positive or negative reviews concerning a hotel online to either generate or discourage traffic through the front door.  This blog piece speaks about the phenomenon, which is quite common, and what is being done to stop it.

Not that any of us would ever plant a FRO, right?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: To and "FRO"
    pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I knew some of this malarkey existed, but did not know there were dedicated abusers. Very disheartening as I often rely on reviews posted online to guide me toward purchases.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Not sure how prevalent it is but if the possibility exists someone will do it

tomagorn Silver

I suppose that another "white-hat" approach to neutralizing FROs is to have a network like MRI, where experienced brand users can challenge (or support) bad reviews.

yep

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I agree..at Insider's I think you can count on accurate review in most cases!!!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Agree with you Jasper!

There are too many people, (A lot are not communicating directly), who know the properties.  Likewise, their are monitors of the site that surly see patterns in posts from certain insiders.

You and me excluded of course

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Excellent point. I would suspect MRI reviews to be both unbiased and more accurate.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I came across such a situation a few months ago using Google serach to look for a company to buy a new furnace from.  Something I noticed as suspicious was that a company had perfect reviews almost every day.  Thinking that was odd, that everyone that got a furnace installed would put such a stellar review, I started looking at the last few reviewers to see what else they reviewed.  The 3 most recent had all bought several new cars from the same dealers, used the same laundry, etc..  Further inspection showed that all did the reviews on different days.  Somebody is making money leaving reviews to inflate business reviews, and even being told on what days to make their reviews.  Research reviews out there on the web before taking them at face value.  Especially when a large purchase is involved!

Absolutely, caution is always advised in Internet reviews for any items

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...