16 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2011 2:28 AM by anadyr RSS

Heads up or heads down?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

A recent $40,000 invoiced rental car included a HUD (Head's Up Display) in which the speed, direction, Bluetooth menu and the price of soybeans (not actually but it could be added) at the lower driver's side of the windshield.  One of many amenities that came with the car and apparently amused valet parkers no end!  This technology was developed by the USAF for its pilots as I recall.

In NYC recently I was amused (as an old person can be) by the near total fascination of walkers (and some drivers amazingly) to be gazing down at their cell or smart phones while crossing the streets of Manhattan.  I guess they have mastered the art of not paying attention or making eye contact with anyone else.  This heads down approach has replaced the lpoud talking into an earpiece mode that I saw last year on these same streets.

So if we ever doubted that the revolution is here, we were wrong.  Everyone is now gazing at their screens, perhaps reading, but always texting, and enjoying the simple pleasure of being an island in a sea of humanity.  Let's hope that cell service never goes down, cause folks might have to speak with each other if it does!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Portland, Oregon, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
  • Re: Heads up or heads down?
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

SSSS, i would type a longer response, but my iPhone keyboards makes it difficult.  Wait, let me forward it to my gmail account where I can open it on my Macbook pro, and then.....what? Hooked on technology? Not me

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

OMG.= LMAO

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Perhaps those crossing the street were using an iApp for real-time NYC traffic patterns?

Must have been but there's no app for common sense

I will start on one now.  Wait, do I have to have common sense to make it work?  If so, it's doomed!

Actually I have written one already, so if anybody wants to buy one that says "hello world" and rotates as you turn your phone, I will give you a copy for the small price of 1,000,000 post points.

Is there a discount for Super Stars?

As long as it's a free app, people will flock to it!  I was considering one for the i-Phone that made you look away from the screen at random intervals to see if traffic was coming

Why do I envision a whole bunch of people splattered across the streets with iPhones in their hands, with a random one now and then actually making it across the street? 

Haha

A bit of Grimm humor there.  Byt the way, from our window from the Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront (that I just did a review on) the bellman pointed out that they just shot the 11th episode of GRIMM outside the window of our room, at a boat anchored there.  We have been watching that series and enjoying it because my wife spent most of her adult life in Portland.

Our daughter went to Linfield in McMinnville down the road, and we were frequent Portland visitors.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Tryt or SS,

Dined there but cannot remember the name of the "Stately" hotel downtown Portland.  Had a great meal there and think there was a theatre next to it.  Could you help me remember the name of it?

By the way, Jakes REST. was great for seafood and The Ringside was great for steaks!

Want to get back and go on the "Wine" drive and visit the Lewis and Clark Campsite.

Location Brand Hotel
              Portland, Oregon, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront

Maybe the Benson, or the Heathman (which is next to the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall)?

The Benson would be my guess

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...