This discussion is locked
Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

61 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2011 10:23 AM by tonywatt RSS

Are non-USA Marriott Reward members the poor relatives?

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Sorry to bring this topic up yet again but it does seem to me that we non-USA residents are treated as 2nd class members by Marriott?  Looking through the discussions on MI, there seem to be a number of areas where we miss out ... E.g.

1. We don't have a Visa card and the one that we did have, was pretty poor compared with that offered to USA members.

2. We can't buy gift cards in anything but USD.

3. We don't even get birthday cards.

4. There may be others ... But it is difficult to know what you don' t know!

... or am I just being a sensitive Brit?

I know that there are some fixes for these in the pipeline but we do seem to be lagging behind the Marriott "homeland".

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Are non-USA Marriott Reward members the poor relatives?
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I am going to make you an honorary North American and grant you all the Marriott rights as authorized to my by SSSSS.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

It seems like Marriott like many other companies, can grow quickly and acquire other companies (especially as they move out of their home country).  The problem is usually they encounter a lot of problems into the systems and way they do things, and their software applications can be even more challenging to absorb.  There is always a lot of resistance from the acquired company, and employees, not wanting to change the way they did things before.  I'm definitely not trying to make excuses for them, but point out some of the things I noticed from working in the banking industry.  We were always acquiring new banks and they all had different software packages.  Add to that, the fact that the new bank may have made a lot of different kinds of loans that couldn't be plugged into the new system and had to be handled manually.  These may be the same kind of issues with acquiring new hotel chains.  Add to that the different currencies, laws, and software systems, and that may be some of the challenges facing Marriott.  This is just my guess. 

I hope everyone is able to enjoy ALL the benefits soon, and that should make us happier that things are more consistent.  Let's just hope that we move to the upper standards and not to the lowest common denominator.

bazzap Platinum

I could understand this reasoning if Marriott were newly expanding beyond the US.

However, as Marriott opened its first hotel in Europe in 1975 and has been well established there for at least 20 to 30 years, it does beg the question as to how long it should really need to take to get to grip with the challenges of operating an international business effectively?

bazzap, you're right.  They should have had something better resolved long ago!  Maybe, as some have mentioned here, some good feedback from more outside the US will put some light on the need to take care of this.

bazzap Platinum

Yes, I guess we need more voices like our own to be heard.

I have over the last couple of years endeavoured to identify and explain through Marriott's Customer Advocacy team the issues which if addressed would help make the European offer better and more comparable to the US one.

I have received recognition of these, but little real progress towards getting a result.

If as a start we could just get a new Marriott Rewards credit card to replace the now defunct co branded Halifax Building Society VISA one that would be a success, especially if available before all our Marriott Vacation Club maintenance fees are due in January 2012!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

There is something wrong with this picture.

My good associate, a platinum member in Canada cannot get a "Black Marriott Visa", why?

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Other issues of international flavor can include differences in law. For example, the "black" Visa might have different T&Cs that are not enforceable outside the USA. For example, I have both Visa cards, the "silver" which capped me at $10K USD and the "black" VIsa which gave me a credit line of $40K USD, yet I am one person with the same FICO score which implies I should have the same limit on both cards. Perhaps the "black" Visa with its higher limits go beyond an enforceable limit to international banking. Just guessing here, but I would not put all the blame on Marriott.

• Are non-USA Marriott Reward members the poor relatives?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Perhaps the group at HQ could rectify this issue?  Have you taken it up with them?

No, I haven't yet, SSSS.  Most of the discrepancies have only come to light over the last month ... i.e. since I have participated in MI.  I'll take up the points when I am comfortable that I have appropriate facts.  I have noticed that most participants in MI seem to be US Citizens ... that has been most useful for highlighting these variances.  Perhaps the lack of non-USA feedback to Marriott over the years is why we have a poorer set of benefits?

I certainly hope that is not the case.  It may be that banking laws are so different that certain schemes (I use that term with caution) are not co.nsidered legal in the UK or in other countries of Europe,  Marriott, as you know, is merely cobranded with Chase on their Visa, and there's a firewall between them except for the passing of MR points for spending.

I think the corporate answer will be that Marriott Rewards benefits vary from country to country, and all terms and conditions are subejct to local laws and regulations.

When I logged onto MR today, I got quite excited as a "new Marriott Rewards Visa Card" was displayed ... giving similar benefits to those of the USA card.  Unfortunately, when I toggled through to apply, it 'was' the USA card and the process wouldn't let me apply ... .  From a quick look at the T&Cs shown, they do not appear to be that much different to UK CCs.  As you suggest, I guess that it is all down to the financial deal that Marriott can strike with the card providers in the local country? 

I know that when I was looking for a USD account that I could operate from the UK, many of the so-called 'international' banks either imposed ridiculously high fees or were pretty incompetent at providing a service in both UK and USA ... we finally ended up with Citi, who were the best of a poor bunch.

I am learning a lot from you about international issues regarding credit cards, thanks.

laurac Marriott Associate

Hi, chrisf, just wanted you to know that we hear your concerns and that I've shared your comments with the Rewards team.  Thank you so much for your candid feedback -- it's always helpful to hear directly from our members how well aspects of the program are working or not.  Some good news for you -- a new UK Visa card is in fact in the works, and we should have some more details for you in the next coming weeks.  Stay tuned!

Regards,

Laura

klaus29 Silver

Hi. laurac

for  europe  the good  news  will  be  only  for  uk  citizen?  what  you  do  for  your  german ,french, spain, etc.etc.  members.?

i have a hight level  visa infinite  card. This  help  me  only  for  the megabonus.  but  all europeen member  dont  have all   this incroyable

advantages  what you get  with  the  MARRIOTT  REWARDS  VISA CARD.. how  many  points and nights  whe  loost  in europe?

regards,

klaus

Thanks for the update, laurac.  Are we ever likely to hear why we have this current Visa Card gap?  It is very unlike Marriott to leave us with nothing.  I hope that you are working on a big bonus for members who take out the new card ...

Laurac, there is another series of posts on the topic of the Marriott Rewards Visa Card ... if you haven't seen it, it would be useful for you to have a look.  Given that there are quite a few non-US members feeling slighted at the differences in general, is there an opportunity to set up a forum discussion with some of you guys to try and understand what is driving these differences?

laurac Marriott Associate

Excellent idea, chrisf!  I'll have Andy follow up with you when he's back after this weekend.

Regards,

Laura

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Chris, 

We can't get clotted cream over here in the States.....so let's call it even.

Whole Foods has it, but I think it's a poor Devonshire substitute!

absolutelegend1 Platinum 2 Reviews

If you did have clotted cream, and they sold it in a US Marriott restaurant, then my PP status would get me 10% off.  Back here in the UK zilch!  go figure.

Absolutelegend1 ... a great come back! ... welcome to the MI madness ... you are clearly going to fit in well!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Good one, Abby, good one......

Abby and/or Chris,

Stoney mentions Devonshire...I'm under the impression that Devonshire cream and clotted cream are not one in the same? Can you verify? Are they distant relatives or more like the rectangle and square?

I assumed that it was 20% off isn't that so?

It might be, not sure to be honest.  That might be an indication of how relevant PP status is to me

tonywatt Gold 2 Reviews

Let's stop all this nonsense about cream and concentrate on the initial issue of second rate/ non treatment here in the UK/ Europe.

I would like to pass on to Laura 3 points.

1. Stop rubbing my nose in it by regularly informing me of all the good stuff you can get with MR. This morning the MR newsletter arrived from Salt Lake City and tells me of all the marvellous ways I can earn points.  NO! here in the UK we have had no opportunity to earn anything for months cos we don't have a MRcard. Please stop inappropriate advertising, it adds insult to injury!!!

2.Marriott is very good at " talking the talk" it really needs to start "walking the walk" in Europe!

3.How about we all delay paying our maintenance fees until the new card is available, if that ever happens. Or better still Marriott extend the payment deadline until after the card arrives. Somehow can't see the accountants at Marriott buying that one!

Saddest thing about the loss of the MR Visa card and the way Marriott handled it, is that it has changed me from a devoted Marriott fan to being totally cynical and sceptical about everything that Marriott announces or stuff we get to here about on the grapevine when Marriott doesn't communicate.

tonywatt Gold 2 Reviews

Let's stop all this nonsense about cream and concentrate on the initial issue of second rate/ non treatment here in the UK/ Europe.

I would like to pass on to Laura 3 points.

1. Stop rubbing my nose in it by regularly informing me of all the good stuff you can get with MR. This morning the MR newsletter arrived from Salt Lake City and tells me of all the marvellous ways I can earn points.  NO! here in the UK we have had no opportunity to earn anything for months cos we don't have a MRcard. Please stop inappropriate advertising, it adds insult to injury!!!

2.Marriott is very good at " talking the talk" it really needs to start "walking the walk" in Europe!

3.How about we all delay paying our maintenance fees until the new card is available, if that ever happens. Or better still Marriott extend the payment deadline until after the card arrives. Somehow can't see the accountants at Marriott buying that one!

Saddest thing about the loss of the MR Visa card and the way Marriott handled it, is that it has changed me from a devoted Marriott fan to being totally cynical and sceptical about everything that Marriott announces or stuff we get to here about on the grapevine when Marriott doesn't communicate.

bazzap Platinum

Or perhaps at the very least, if not

allowing us to delay paying our maintenance fees until the new card is available or extending the payment deadline until after the new card arrives

Marriott should award us the equivalent Marriott Rewards points we would have received by paying with our Marriott Rewards Visa card when we pay our Maintenance fees with whatever credit card we canstill pay with (as we can no longer pay with a Marriott Rewards Visa card?)

This would be good Customer Service.

On the same note, I'd like my equivalent points that I'd have earned on my Marriott cc from the end on October (when the points stopped accruing) to the date the new card gets released.  So far that's 16 nights I've missed out on.  20 by the end of this week.

Also no word on the substandard deal us UK platinum premier customers get.  "Congratulations Sir - you have received our top status - Platinum Premier!  This gets you 20% off food and bard bills*".  *US only.

I found it quite insulting.

The most irritating thing about this MR CC debacle is that the notification that the card was being discontinued came from Halifax and NOT Marriott!  They also stated that they were ... "including some of the features of your MR CC on the replacement Halifax card".  At least, they are consistent with the Marriott approach of 'spin'.  The features are, of course, nothing like the MR CC.  At the moment, my Virgin Atlantic air miles are racking up ... I've even been given two free upgrades to Premium Economy the next time I use points for an Economy booking.  Excellent!  I hope that Marriott have something serious in their win-back offer.

tonywatt Gold 20 Reviews

Well said chrisf, I think that we are all in agreement that the treatment( or non-treatment) we have received from MR is shabby and their credibility is so low as to not register on my list of companies that I feel any loyalty to.

I am using a MBNA cashback Visa card to at least obtain some benefits from spending and like you my wife is using her Virgin card a lot more.

Also would Laurac be so polite as to let us know how Andy responded when he got back from his weekend back in November and to respond to the points I made to her on the 29th Nov.!!!!!!!

tony,

You bring up some good points.  If you would like to make sure some of the people such as laurac and andy see a particular posting like this, you can type the @ sign and then their user id together in one word.  For example, adding @ and laurac together without a space, will give you a dropdown screen that eventually gets you the person you are trying to get a message to like laurac and the same thing for NathalieF .  You can always send them a direct message too, but this is very effective for getting their attention on a particular post.  Please forgive me if I am going to a too basic level that you already know, but for many other people who read this, it will help them to draw attention to special posts.

tonywatt Gold 5 Reviews

Thanks tryst53, I'm a newbie to this forum game and this will help, although having got involved you'd think Laura/Andy would monitor the thread.

But it does seem that responding to members/customers/clients comments and queries is not on the Marriott list of Key Performance Criteria.

If it is of any consolation Marriott Vacation Club is equally as bad at responding until you can pin down an individual.

tony,

Welcome aboard, and we look forward to your input and involvement! I think they do try to monitor as much as they can, but getting their direct tags helps a lot.  They have an awful lot of things they have to do, and as you poke around on this site, you will see there is a huge amount of data, and some of these threads get really deep after a while. 

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Chrisf, Tony W and others,

Two aspects of Marriott Rewards' handling of the withdrawal of their Visa card seem to me to be as inexplicable and they are unacceptable:

1.     The apparent absence of any coherent, convincing response to what was inevitably going to be a wave of fairly animated criticism following the announcement of the decision. No one would dispute that very unpalatable decisions needs to be taken in such difficult times as we are witnessing now, but the mark of a strong organisation is the ability  (a) to avoid being caught on the wrong foot when crises occur and (b) to explain in terms, which appear transparent and sustain confidence  going forward, what had happened and how the situation was going to be rectified. I submitted one statement of concern on this site in October and sent one complaint to the MR Customer Care desk at the beginning of November; neither elicited any response at all from MR

2.     A naive belief that marketing/PR "spin", in the form of regular infusions of either bland "denials of responsibility" or "we are about to do something and we want you to be first to know" statements, prepared by marketing/PR executives apparently unaware of their growing lack of credibility, could seem as other than insults to our common sense and, as such, likely to further inflame an already uncomfortable situation.

The relationship between MR and Marriott's hotel clients rests on a delicate balance, with quality of product, value for money and trust being the critical ingredients. It is the last of these which is most in danger of being gravely eroded in the current situation - with the damage being done, in most part, not by hotels themselves, but by "back-office" executives.

A

whiskydave Platinum 2 Reviews

Hi,

I'm totally new to this Tintaweb forum type thing.

I am a Brit living in the USA and I totally concur with the original post BOS/Halifax used to offer a MR credit card however although better than nothing the rate were rubbish. 10,000 sign on bonus and points were awarded per GBP spend. Now that I temp live in the US I signed up for the MR card and my points are going up nice and steadily, when I return to the UK I use it for stays there and gain many more point as it converts to USD with no foreign charges.

I know this doesn't help and I feel your pain as I was once there, when I finally return to the UK for good I'm going to try and maintain my US credit card if possible.

D

whiskydave,

Welcome to the site and thank you for sharing a view that is kind of unique (one who has been on both sides of the fence).  I too empathize with our UK and other global members and hope we get a fast, GOOD, resolution to this.  We look forward to your future involvement and inputs!

IF EVER PROOF WAS NEEDED, LOOK AT THE NEW UK MARRIOTT REWARDS CREDIT CARD AND COMPARE IT TO THE U.S. ALTERNATIVE:

US CREDIT CARDS = 50,000 PTS ON FIRST USE

UK CREDIT CARDS = 10,000

NO ANNUAL FREE NIGHT STAY, U.S. GETS THIS

2 PTS FOR EVERY £ AS OPPOSED TO 5 PTS FOR EVERY $ IN U.S.

10 NIGHTS CREDIT AS OPPOSED TO 15 NIGHTS FOR U.S. CUSTOMERS

I'D SAY THE TERM "POOR RELATIVES" IS GENEROUS

... and based the responses that we have received to our comments ... are you really surprised!?!

klaus29 Silver

i wait for a response  about  German, French  Members

for  now  its  NO for the Marriott   Visa  card, also  0  points  0  nights.

As a US member, i was really ignorant about how much of the rest of the world was missing the VISA option.  Is VISA readily available worldwide, or is that an emerging market outside of the US?  Pardon my ignorance.

tonywatt Gold 5 Reviews

Visa is pretty much worldwide and is the most widely accepted credit card anywhere.

However the MARRIOTT REWARDS credit card by Visa ( Halifax/ Bank of Scotland) was effectively withdrawn at the end of September 2011 and since then there has been no way to earn points on general spending, e.g. groceries, fuel etc in the UK. Sounds like from Klaus that the European branch is in the same boat!

W.ilst the soothing noises that occasionally come from the Marriott empire may seek to comfort us that there is "jam tomorrow" to look forward to, the fact remains that our Christmas spending has earned no points and the MVCI maintenance fees will have to be paid with a non earning card.

This debacle has cost me probably in excess of 20000 points and I have yet to be informed, directly, by Marriott that they no longer offer the MR Visa card.The only personal communication has come from Halifax Bank of Scotland.

If you ever needed an example of how NOT to manage change this is it!

tonywatt,

Thanks for the clarification.  NathalieF , would there be any way to bump this to someone who could at least explain the hurdles, so users outside the US could feel they are not just being ignored?  Thanks!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

We hear you and we're not ignoring the discussion. I wish there was more to offer but please bear with us, we plan to have information available this week.

Thank you for your quick response!  That is a start, and we'll look forward to hearing what comes out!!

tonywatt Gold 5 Reviews

Hi guys, I've seen the new card offer on the Marriott Rewards website, not impressed in that the Bank handling the card is a French operation specialising in sub-prime or higher risk credit with corresponding low credit limits.Again I had to go looking for the info even though Marriott know where to find me!

Overall I'm severely underwhelmed with the new card and how MR have mismanaged the whole debacle.

Bill Marriott, you have serious problems in your organisation that need fixing asap.

To quote Dragon's Den,"I'M OUT"

klaus29 Silver

i mean   the   Marriott  visa  card.  avaible only  for  us, and  uk  members., with a  big  difference.

for  all  ather  members  nathing, nada.  0   and   0

salvatore Gold 4 Reviews

Hello to my friends in the UK, I live in Canada and I consider us to be the equivalent to the UK second class citizens.  We have the same benefits on the VISA card as the UK, does not even compare tot eh USA VISA reward card.

I tried to get the Black reward card but of course it is only available to USA citizens.

UK, I feel your pain.. Hopefully changes coming to Canada and UK not just "Europe".

If only Hilton had a credit card in Canada as they do in the USA, I would have switched to Hilton.

Regards,

4th class Marriott member (after USA, Europe, and UK)

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Good morning, We're pleased to formally announce the new Marriott Rewards Credit Card for the UK (you must be signed in to view). We're closing this thread but the conversation can continue.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...