14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2014 8:27 PM by bejacob RSS

Ocean City, MD Courtyard

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We'll be spending the Thanksgiving week in O.C. this year. Just a one year respite from the hosting responsibilities. We're doing a Sunday to Sunday 4 bedroom condo rental with full kitchen in case some folks follow us down for the Turkey.  We decided to get a jump on the week and checked into the Ocean City Courtyard on Friday.  It sits right on the boardwalk. I believe it's only 2 or 3 yrs. old. This hotel has three floors w/ 91 rooms. Some rooms are direct ocean fronts with modest balconies. Some rooms are ocean view with the same balconies. There is a fourth floor but it consists of 2 and 3 bedroom condos.

The Courtyard is the only Marriott property on this resort island. So... here's the review.

The front desk associate recognized my Platinum status cheerfully upon check-in. Our room included a nice 37 in. flat screen, a half fridge, a microwave, and single cup coffee maker. The bed was extremely comfortable. My profile asks for extra pillows and they were there upon check-in. GOOD STUFF

The coffee maker has come in handy,since the hotel only offers complimentary hot beverages during a few hours in the morning and 5-8 at night. The one cup  brewing is inconvenient with the normal two pods. You can purchase coffee from the on-site restaurant during normal business hrs.  NOT SO GOOD STUFF

The restaurant itself is significantly over priced. The decor is comfortable, the food okay, and the prices reminiscent of NYC.  There are plenty of alternatives for your three squares nearby. NOT SO GOOD.

Parking is complimentary. The pool and hot tub area were sparkling. The housekeeping staff friendly and accommodating.  GOOD STUFF.

The nightly rate was $79-$119. This is a big improvement. The first year or so the hotel was open they tried to maintain resort pricing during the off season. They now have adjusted to be competitive with the Hilton and two Holiday Inn beach properties.  GOOD STUFF

Overall, I would recommend the hotel for location, friendly staff, great ocean views, and price.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Ocean City, Maryland, USA
  • Re: Ocean City, MD Courtyard
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Sounds like a good deal...Are you saying the rate for a 4 bedroom is $79-$119?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

No.... The 4 bedroom condo we'll be spending the rest of our time here is two miles up the beach. Not part of the Courtyard. The condos on the fifth floor of the CY are privately owned. They are not available for rental through Marriott, as far as I know.  The $79-$119 is the price listed for the two queen or one king room with various views. There are no suites in the hotel that I'm aware of....

Segments Platinum 4 Reviews

Thanks for the review.  I noticed that their rates where above average for off-season when they opened, so I'm glad they've recognized market rates.  As to the Bistro prices... guess they figure much of the traffic for the Delaware beaches is from DC so they can charge DC prices and no one would notice? 

Ally,

There is a full restaurant on property...The Captain's Table, I believe.   Just an FYI in case you thought it was one of the Bistro style lobby jobs at some CYs.

Good to know... yes, I had assumed it was a Bistro style.

Thanks for the review.  I noticed that their rates where above average for off-season when they opened, so I'm glad they've recognized market rates.  As to the Bistro prices... guess they figure much of the traffic for the Delaware beaches is from DC so they can charge DC prices and no one would notice? 

Guess they figured since much of the Delaware beach visitors are from DC they wouldn't notice DC prices in the Bistro as being above the local norm?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

That is wonderful information!

Never been there but this is so helpful for people like me who would like to go!

Thanks!

• Ocean City, MD Courtyard
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Excellent review--thanks

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I agree with the others.  Excellent review.  Thank you!

erc Platinum
    Not worthy of a new post, I thought I'd toss in this tidbit about the Ocean City Md. Courtyard. As you can see from painedplatinum's fine write up, a pleasant little property (only 91 rooms). Now this property drives locals like tker and I crazy because, hold your breath it's a Cat. 9 property, yes that's correct, the same Category as the JW Marriott Essex House, London Marriott Park Lane, and the Paris Marriott Hotel Champs-Elysees (although I do believe the Captain's Table, a longtime popular local restaurant in the building, will serve you a croissant). Here's the catch, nothing wrong with it requiring sky high points for an in season, on the beach, huge demand, low supply stay - but off season it's often very slow (and as I'm promoting, very nice), but it requires the same 45,000 points for a December weekend (where they might only have 10% occupancy) as for the 4th of July - oh well, whatta ya gonna do?

That's why I'm writing - as a big fan of shoulder season travel anyway, I wanted to point out that you can secure a 1-3 night (non-weekend) stay using AAA for as low as (yes, I know, I'm sounding like a 'Marriott Elite Offer' - but these are available ) $109 as late as May 10th, a great time to visit the beach, boardwalk, and local restaurants (I'll also throw in erc's OC brew stops, highlighting some of the finest brew pubs on the East Coast, right there in OC).

Along those lines, I just returned from a wedding on the lovely Eastern Shore (right on the Chesapeake Bay) where (due to wedding demand I overpaid for a stay at the Holiday Inn Express (see, everyone's doing it) in Grasonville, Md. A nice property, free popcorn, free USA Todays, a nice breakfast, similar to Fairfield, (no fitness room) a room with a nice water view (because I asked for one, sheepishly I might add as I handed her my Marriott Credit Card ). They also provide forgotten dental and shave items and overall (especially for a captive audience weekend) very personable staff.
    Other wedding guests stayed at a just as nice Hilton Garden Inn, just down the road. This area has become big in waterside weddings at various locales and nearby hotel rates reflect it.

Kent Island is the first English settlement in Md. in 1631, making it the third oldest behind only Jamestown, Va. and Plymouth, Ma. Kent Narrows is a boating and fishing community on Kent Island and has been a stopping point for yours truly for decades for some excellent seafood meals.  There's several fun places with nice water views and good food; Annie's, Harris Seafood and my favorite,   The Narrows Restaurant have been serving good food and enjoyable dining experiences since I've been old enough to buy actual meals (three decades) and not dine at fast food dives. Check 'em out if you're driving east to go to the beach (shore in Jersey, beach in Maryland).
    20140913_140850_resized.jpg
    View from the room, using my Marriott credit cards and wearing my Marriott slippers
    20140913_121120_resized.jpg
    A Md. specialty, crab and vegetable soup (training for Belgium w/my Stella)
    20140913_122120_resized.jpg
    Lobster Roll, eastern shore stye - tasty sandwich seasoned with Old Bay
    20140913_193025_resized.jpg

Post wedding, post sunset view of wedding grounds (I think that's pluto and IAH discussing Flashperks ).

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Great post! And totally agree. There are other ways they could manage this. Lower the category to something reasonable-like a 6-or even a 5??? Then limit-severely limit-the number of points rooms available during high season. Heck, just have one or two. Then, award stays would more closely match the $109 rates in the off season.

The other thing about this property. They seem to get more exemptions to the Plat override than any other place I have seen. They get July 4th qualified as an even. Sunfest, bike week. Its incredible.

I cannot imagine they get any rewards stays. CY provides so few elite benefits-no breakfast-no really upgrade opportunities etc.

Rant off...

Thanks for the great post and pics!

tker and erc,

I've only been back to the CY in OC, MD one other time since my first visit. We just spent a 4 day weekend at the Holiday Inn on 66th St. Great weather, good prices.

I spent a week each at the Grasonville and Kent Island properties that erc references, albeit a few years back.  Both were fine, nothing special, but certainly worth a return trip if I'm in the area.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Stayed at the CY Ocean City in early November. The city was almost a ghost town. Two thing CY Bistro haters will like about this property. 1) No Bistro. 2) Free coffee the lobby both mornings and evenings.

Very nice place, though not worthy of a category 9 ranking (except maybe during the middle of summer). The Captain's Table is a very enjoyable restaurant and watching the sun rise over the ocean is always worth it (even better from you own balcony).

Here are a few pictures from my visit.

CY_OC.jpg

pool.jpg

sunrise.jpg

boardwalk.jpg

None of the three people I saw outside just after sunrise were available to pose in this last photo.

I suspect I would not enjoy the crowds during the peak season, but I found the hotel to very nice and the staff both attentive and friendly. Definitely worth visiting during shoulder season or even when almost nothing else in town is open.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...