20 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2012 4:28 PM by painedplatinum RSS

London Concierge Lounges?

bettyb Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

HI,

I have just discovered this forum and am finding it difficult to figure out how to post a question so if this is in the wrong place, please send advice.  We are planning a trip to London in October for my 70th birthday and have been looking at the various options.  Many good Marriott choices but would like to ask which properties you think have the best Lounges.  I have always enjoyed a good CL and when on vacation I'm going to use it in making my decision.

Thanks,

Betty

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, USA
London, England
  • Re: London Concierge Lounges?
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Just to let you know, you posted your question just fine.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

How about this location..Sounds like a great Concierge level here..

See link below:

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/3653#3653

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Betty,

Happy upcoming 70th!

If you have not been to London before I really suggest County Hall Marriott.  You can see pictures and read various posts on this centrally located hotel.

Go to the MI sight and pull up London and read and see the various posts.

You can contact me directly to get detailed information as well!

Location Brand Hotel
    London, England
      bettyb Platinum 60 Reviews

Thanks, we were in London 24 years ago with our then teenager so didn't do theatre.  Is County Hall convenient to that?

Betty,

It has not changed that much, and you are lucky you are going after the Olympics.

Go to the Marriott Website, pull up London Hotels, you do not have to give a date, you won't really be able to shop this early anyway.  Just look at the various choices and you will be able to see them on a London map.

County Hall, is on the Thames, next to the London Eye, and across the river from Big Ben and Westminster Abbey, etc.

We have commuted by taxi to the theatre district and never had a problem.

Feel free to ask any travel questions on this site, and all of us will do our best to save you time and money!

bettyb Platinum 60 Reviews

Thanks. So many choices.

Betty,

If you like shopping and Hyde Park, keep Grosvenor House in mind.  It has a great cl and a lot also to do nearby.  Here are a couple of photo's you may enjoy.

DSCN0012_0005.jpgIMG_0284.JPG

spengle Platinum 2 Reviews

We stayed at the Grosvenor house last year for a week before a transatlantic cruise.  Concierge lounge was terrific...breakfast, tea and drinks/snacks late afternoon.  Staff was very helpful and pleasant.  One morning when it was quite crowded, they sent us for complimentary buffet in the restaurant.  Would certainly return.  Close to underground and buses and very easy to get around.  Very nice, reasonable Bistro, just a block or so from the taxi entrance.

Glad you had a great time there as I did!  Nice stay, especially if you have a reason to be in that part of London.

Betty,

You hit the "Add reply" an extra two times.  All you have to do is go to those extra two posts and delete them.

I hope you find all the wonderful posts on London!

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Hi Betty, although we only live 40 miles from London, we sometimes stay overnight when we go to the theatre.  There are quite a few good Marriotts in London but I believe (my wife agrees) that County Hall has the best CL.  As Jerry states above, County Hall is pretty convenient for the theatres and is a great location.  If you want any dining suggestions let me know ... Claridges do a great fixed-price Sunday Lunch ... well worth a visit.

bettyb Platinum 20 Reviews

Thanks, it looks like whichever I choose of the 2, I can't go wrong.

netbarbie Gold 1 Reviews

Is there a CL at the Regents Park Marriott?

Yes, they do have a CL ... well, the last time that I stayed there they did ... was about 2 years ago.  It was quite small but the service was great.

absolutelegend1 Platinum 2 Reviews

yes there is, I was in it about an hour ago.  It's alright (although nothing more), but like Chris says, the staff are great.

Decent continental buffet breakfast + snacks and drinks etc. from 5.30 - 7.30 weekdays

Chrisf,

Wow, you will have a great perspective on London.

Dining, would you share me your thoughts on certain places:

Simpson's in the Strand, A great pre-theatre as well as post theatre place, famous for it's beef.  Winston Churchill loved the Beef Wellington here.  Worth it, and not expensive, by London standards.

River Cafe, Not worth it, overpriced and not even fun.

Gordon Ramsey's on Hospital Road,  expensive, but really special.  They treat you very, very special.  Will go there everytime in London.

Gay Hussar, fantastic goose, Hungarian, and a special time.

The Audley, great pub, by the Marriott Grosvenor, and what a crowd they attract.

The Grenadier, Near Harrod's but a little hard to find, but great fish and chips with peas.

The Stockpot, all over town, but a great value on pasta.

You are making me hungry just writing about these places, maybe we should just concentrate on pubs, "Sherlock Holmes, or Hung, Drawn and Quartered along with Blackfriars, would be a start!

Hi Jerry

You have certainly picked some great dining locations there. 

Simpson's is outstanding ... I've only used it on business ... I like the idea of using it pre-theatre ... a great prompt, thanks.

I agree the River Cafe is not worth the bother.

Never been to Ramsey's on Hospital Road ... I may give that a try, based on your recommendation.  I like Claridges (apart from the cocktail prices!) and The Maze (the taster menu was great fun for lunch) - these are both Ramsey's too (which you may already know?)

It's been a while since I was at the Gay Hussar or The Audley ... but love The Grenadier - a fairly basic menu but the pub atmosphere is excellent

We've seen the Stockpots but not yet been tempted ... we are normally looking for a 'different' restaurant when in London.

Have you tried any of these? They are among our favourites ...

Positano - Battersea ... a little Italian gem but getting a bit too well known now (unfortunately!) ... great prices, great food and great service

Le Caprice - in St James', just behind the Ritz Hotel ... we love to have a champagne cocktail (or two) in the Ritz Rivoli Bar first and then walk round to the restaurant (apparently the Rivoli is Madonna's favourite bar when in London - I've never seen her there though)

Latium - just off Oxford St ... great Italian fixed price ... needs to be booked

Arbutus - Frith St ... some unusual dishes, so worth checking the daily menu

Christopher's - Covent Garden area ... nice upstairs dining area, food has always been excellent but service can be patchy

Vivat Bacchus - Farringdon ... South African style food and great SA wine selection (could break the budget, if your not careful) ... sometimes have live music

Oxo Tower - Southbank ... great views across London in the evening ... ask for a window table

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese - Fleet Street ... very historic pub ... great for lunch (pub fare)

It's now 11pm here and I am thinking that it would be nice to get some supper somewhere!

Chris,

Thanks for your "London" suggestions on dining!  Am always looking for new places to dine!  These photo's may bring back good memories for you.  If you have a special event and want to dine at Gordon Ramsey's on Hospital Rd, it's very special.  The staff is most professional and the food is great!IMG_1401.JPGDSCN0021_0012.jpgIMG_0234.JPG

Location Brand Hotel
          London, England
    manchestermark Platinum 60 Reviews

In my opinion the concierge lounge at Grosvenor Square is a bit better than Grosvenor House; a bit more modern and airy. I used to like the lounge at the Renaissance in Holborn but alas, the hotel was sold to another group.

Favourite lounge in Europe to date is at the Berlin Marriott, followed by Grosvenor Square, Prague and perhaps Amsterdam Marriott after that. Grosvenor House is great for afternoon tea in the lounge if you can be there at the right time.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Manchester.....  That looks like a good thread to start...Top CLs in Europe.... give it go!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...