12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2012 2:22 PM by alrenaissance RSS

Getting really fed up with non posting of points

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

What is wrong with the Marriott system of posting points when you have completed a stay and why are there so many inconsistences? I get endless wrong amounts of points, sometimes, especillay with European stays I am given the value of points by my Euro spend instead of the 10 per US dollar, or I dont get my Platinum 500 points (and 1000 from Ritz Carlton), or I simply dont get posted anything at all, or sometimes weeks later. Yet how can some properties manage to post your points the day after you check out and others take ages and ages? In these days of computerization, I would expect everything to be automated, not to have to wait for staff to post them. I stayed last Friday at the Renaissance Dusselforf (a dump), and got my points the next day EXCEPT the 1000 bonus points for the room promotion they were running were missing, so I had to call Marriott rewards and it was then sorted out after they in turn contacted the hotel. So, having had the basic points the day after, why have I not been credited with the points for my stay from the Renaissance Bochum last Saturday? There is no consistency with Marriott reward points being credited and its about time that Marriott did something about it, after all, it must make the rewards team busy all day long trying to get members points credited and you have to go through the whole thing of faxing or emailing a copy of the bill to the rewards team. It is now a job in itself just trying to keep tabs on what you are entitled to!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Getting really fed up with non posting of points
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

This has been an issue for me for many years since I mostly stay in Europe.  While some hotels are great in posting (they also happen to be my favorite hotels - the Ghent Marriott and Athens Ledra), others are terrible.  In France, where I stay most often, I not only have to call/fax frequently, but also do not usually get the correct currency exchange rate -- it's posted as if it were dollars (duh, not good when in Europe).  Likewise with the bonus points. 

The only thing I've learned to do is check repeatedly for the week after I have stayed to make sure that they have posted, and posted correctly.  Keep in mind that Courtyards anywhere complicate matters because anything else you've bought there (like meals) doesn't count toward points. I found that out the hard way, and it's a good reason to comparison shop in large European cities where there are a number of choices since breakfast is so expensive.

The other thing is that any local taxes (which are mostly minimal in Europe compared to the US) also don't count toward points.  But what I do is take the cost of the (non-Courtyard) hotel value in euros, multiply x 10, then add my bonus  % so that I have decent idea of the approximate posting. With currency changing every day it can make a large difference.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

So far I have always been very lucky with the posting of my points earned, but most likely it is just that I  don't have as many stays as those of you who have these difficulties crop up. I've also never been so unfortunate as to have any baggage lost when flying, but, then again, I only fly a few times a year. I guess on this Thanksgiving Day, those are two simple things for which I must be thankful...and I am!!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

My stays are predominately in US or Canada. An unscientific memory recall says that on average, two out of fifty stays per year result in posting problems. It sounds like a European issue.

kjohnson Gold 2 Reviews

Hi Im sorry for the random reply but for some reason I cannot ask a question in the forum. I cant figure out why with almost 100k points I cant get more than 3 free nights at a 1-4 level hotel. If anyone has a lot of understanding on the system can you please direct message me so as to not annoy the others discussing this topic.

Thank you

Kate

kjohnson Gold 2 Reviews

Hi Im sorry for the random reply but for some reason I cannot ask a question in the forum. I cant figure out why with almost 100k points I cant get more than 3 free nights at a 1-4 level hotel. If anyone has a lot of understanding on the system can you please direct message me so as to not annoy the others discussing this topic.

Thank you

Kate

hopetix Platinum 2 Reviews

I too have now in the past three stays (all US) had to write to Marriott to get point totals corrected. I had actually read this post a few weeks ago, and it is what made me diligent about making sure I was credited what I should be. While they have quickly corrected the errors (so far), in following up on one, the next two were also incorrect. I am also missing a huge number of points for a stay in Mexico which have not posted yet.

It seems strange to me as well that, as you say, this cannot be easily computerized and done consistently. I think many of the hotel points are actually "hand" entered by the accountants or someone like that when the bills are audited at the end of the weekend or stay.

Thanks for your post and heads up! I know I am a point hog, but we've spent the money so should be able to receive what we are promised.

jmring Platinum 5 Reviews

Agreed.  Been on a family vacation this week at several properties (someday i hope to just stay put on the vacation).  Anyway, first two properties did not credit me with the arrival bonus points (both Marriott properties).  I sent an email to customer service about both properties and had the bonus arrival points credited with the day and both properties went ahead and gave me an additional 500 points for each stay.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Sun spots

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I was last told that it was based on some "Satellite upload link" and that was the reason it took so long. I think somebody was blowing some smoke, if you know what I mean................

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...