42 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2011 1:38 PM by jasper100 RSS

The good goodbye

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

After a week of very uneven treatment at the NY Marriott Marquis, where the gratuity wine glass affair occured, the maids moved everyhting in our room, even personal belongings while NOT cleaning it properly, the sheets were changed only every other day, and I drained my MR account of 240,000 points (Don't worry Jasper I have plenty there!), the associate who checked me out of the Hotel asked how my Stay was after Welcoming me as a Lifetime Platinum and Platinum Premier Elite member (not to mention other titles), the first time that the status was recognized!  Well, one person got the memo I guess.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA
  • Re: The good goodbye
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Have a good trip!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Stoney, did you share your experience with the associate at checkout? If so, how did they react?

Stoney,,,thats new...maybe it should be stoned since he seems to participate in a lot of wine drinking?

Sure did and thanked him for making the comment.  Actuallyhe was a newbie, based on his badge,so that training was fresh in his mind.  Full disclosure, I was not wearing my special Superstar costume at checkout so it was based solely on what flashed on the screen.

Here's the final tally:

• Points deducted: 240,000
      • Cost of Points  Up to $24,000.00 assuming oi bonuses (ealry points are mixed in with other points in our account)
      • Pay money cost of room @ $599 plus tax for seven nights:  astronomical, over $4,500 bucks USD
      • Getting recognized at checkout:  Priceless (but I will still compose an email to the GM at home

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I think the bottom line here is this..

If one is going to pay $599 per night to stay in your establishment, you really, really, really need to attempt to exceed the guest's expectations. The prohibitive pricing should be more than a product of location. By charging that price, you're basically announcing to the world, "We're so good, you'll be blown off your feet!"

If you start taking for granted that consumers will pay the price regardless of service and standards, you'll suffer the ultimate demise of  repeat business.

One of the first principles learned in sales... Sell more stuff, make more money.  There are two ways to do that.

1) Get your current clients to pay more through increased stays or higher price. 

2) Bring in new customers.

It's much easier to get existing clients to spend more, BUT you need to deliver the product.

tomagorn Silver

Help me out a bit, please.  I'm still struggling with the math.  You spent $24,000 for 240,000 points which you then spent to cover a $4500 bill?  What am I missing?

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Generally speaking you earn 1 point for every $1 you spend.  So what he's saying is that he spent over 24k to earn 240k points.  So yeah you got it right but there's probably a few bonus points mixed in there too

You get 10 points for every dollar spent, so spending 24,000 dollars deposits 240,000 points in your account, which I then cashed in

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

It's an older post, but earning points can be shown here: How I Made My Last 1M Points of which 43% of points are for $ paid for stays.

tomagorn Silver

I was just thinking that next time you stay at the NY Marquis, why not transfer 200,000 points to me, and I'll pay the $4500 bill.  That way we both gain. ;-)

fhllast4ever Platinum

Let's face it:  to Marriott employees points is not money, even though we know points are prepaid stays.

For $24,000 you could have stayed at a suite at Waldorf Astoria for a lot longer days and be treated like a royalty!

Absolutely true.  I need to make my point balance go down and this was (I thought) a nice way to do it. I was wrong

Wait a minute.SSSSS is wrong!!! Do we need to add another S for Sorry?

How about for "pseudo?"

Come on..Pseudo does not start with an S!!!!

Only in Spain, dear Jasper.  And it was an attempt at sessing you, and it worked!

You got me..another Birthday present for you!!!!

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I hope that email is a whopper, sounds like there were a number of misses across the board there for you.  Most of what you have detailed should not happen to any guest but certainly not to one of the most loyal and long standing ultra SSSSSSSSSSSSS members

piuswelt Platinum 4 Reviews

Actually, since you seem to be a platinum for quite a while the required revenue should have been 16.000 USD and not 24.000 USD right?

Yes if we assume you can color the points as they leave your account as being recently earned, but alas you cannot, The hopper contains generic points, some from no bonus days as well as ful bonus days and stays.  Once there ther's no way to determine from whence they came as they leave

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi SSSS - It is discouraging when a flagship property such as the Marriott Marquis earns such a deservedly mediocre review. The one thing I'm especially appreciative of is your willingness to share all of this. I've been heading to NY rather regularly now to visit an elderly cousin of my dad's and I've often been tempted to stay once again at the Marquis, as opposed to the Marriott Eastside or Brooklyn Bridge. Based on what you've written, I'll save my money and/or points and go back to either of them before I go to the Marquis. On the bright side, as you say, it was great that you were recognized upon check-out -- however, recognition upon check-in is more rewarding.

I think it is a little late to recognize a PP Lifetime Platinum Member upon check-out..I can not believe it was a sincere recognition!!!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I agree.  Recognition on the way out, seems more like damage control to cover their ....

Thanks, I think the Marquis is salvagable.  Every other time we've been (this is our tenth) we've been greeted as royalty, given gifts, finding great amenities in the room, free this and that.  This time, not a thing.  I understand the no suites since they're full, and as one associate said, "Platinums are everywhere and they all want to stay here!"

Nonetheless I am going to compose the "onion letter" with specific issues highlighted and constructive alternatives for them to consider. As I mentioned elsewhere I will be particularly interested in the level of response I get, and the stock paragraphs I find in that response.  If it's not too snarky (onmy part) I'll post the giust or portions of the response.

Yes NYC has a lot of alternatives, not just Marriott, and I will look into them as the months progress toward our next visit.

Its a shame that you now are considering hotels other than the Marquis. There is no excuse, no matter how full they are, to not treat a Platinum Member appropriatey. Shame on you Marriott Marquis!!!

Maybe you should rename this thread to "My Last Goodbye"...because many will look at this review and change to another Marriott Hotel or some ohter chain.

Dear Steward Jasper and others.  yes I am always considering other places, including VRBO apartments that neighbors have and friends have used.  Of course the Donald has a few places I can hang as well.  Here's the good news on the Marquis: great location, Lounge people are super, some of the best, and the Concierge staff on floor 8 are good friends now.

SSSSS, I was not aware there waws a concierge level on floor 8. I did not find them particulary that good on the 30th floor, in my humble opinion. My stay was ok, they did give me a corner room which was larger and acceptable after elevating my concerns to a Manager about a rude check in staff. However, to be frank, the stay was less than memorable!!! I stayed for a week..two days I paid for since I got a very good rate for the week-end including breakfast and used 5 days on points to get the fifth night free. Like you, no recognition of my elite status when I checked in!!!

Maybe a 6th "S" in my moniker for sad?

Anyway what I meant was to single out Meliza and Janet and three of four other folks who maintain the Concierge Desk near the check in desks on floor 8.  Charlie in the AM and Joe in the evening on the 30th have always been exceptionally good friends and associates.  Every member of the C lounge staff is welcoming, funny, helpful and most of good people.

Yes..what was I thinking, I know there is not a concierge level on the 8th floor..that is where the main checkin is located.

So, shouldn't "no recognition of elite status at check-in" qualify for the $100 per the T & C of Platinum Elite level?

I did not know that there was any compensation for not recognizing a Platiunum Elite Level??

Since you mentioned that didn't recognize your platinum level, I guess I figured that meant they also didn't off you your Platinum Arrival gift either?  And if that's the case, the arrival gift offering you your choice of rewards is covered under the T & C at this link.  See the text right at the beginning of the arrival gift choice upon arrival, and then the compensation chart is where it say $100 for Marriott and other brands:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits/guarantee.mi

And it's referred to in this discussion, in nuhusker's comments:

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/9671#9671

The only problem here is that even though I don't always get recognized as a Platinum Elite Member on arrival, it seems I alway get the points added to my account.

As you can see on the T & C chart, there are a couple of chains that only have gifts, but the way I read it, for the others, you are guaranteed a choice, not just given the points later.  If some of the hotels that were supposed to offer Platinum Members a choice, had their feet held to the fire, they might start being a little more careful about making sure that Platinum Level guests are getting the recognition they deserve at check-in.

Thanks but even on points?

You do get the Marriott welcome gift whether you pay or use points!!!!

I checked in at an alternate location (I am sworn to secrecy on where) since we were early and never gave them a chance to welcome me!

If so, I would of added a lot of money to my bank account!!!!

It is better to give than to receive as the Good Book says, Jasper!

I agree..it is better for the Marriott to give and for me to Receive...consistent with the Good Book!!!

jaxtroy Member 10 Reviews

This is pretty sad treatment.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...