6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2011 6:22 PM by pingreeman RSS

Warning about using rewards to hire Hertz in the US

daveq Member
Currently Being Moderated

This is a SERIOUS WARNING to anyone thinking of hiring a Hertz car with reward points in the US. Read the small print - you must return the car to the pick-up point  - drop-off at a different location is not allowed. And you cannot use extra points (or even money) to cover this. I hadnt noticed this rule, and it cost me $1500 dollars to hire the car we had reserved. Not a good start to our 2-week holiday in the US.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Warning about using rewards to hire Hertz in the US
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Daveq,

Thanks for sharing this with us, did not know this. 

That is a bad way to start a vacation.  Good information.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

taxman415 Platinum

Thanks Dave...

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

wow yeah that's pretty horrible.  I have not yet used miles for a rental car but was planning on it when heading overseas since my National free days dont work outside of the US.  Definitely need to check the fine print.  Maybe you can exchange the miles you were going to use for something else?

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Thanks for letting us know this Dave.  This is a good advantage for people like us to find out about these things here.  Sorry you had to be the one to find out.  Like zukracer said, maybe you can put those points to use for something else nice.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

This is what MRI is all about - sharing these very important travel tips. I doubt I would have been that persnickety to have read the fine print.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...