10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2013 4:53 AM by kharada46 RSS

Berlin Marriott

tomagorn Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Berlin, Germany, is a vibrant global city.  Artists flock to the city and their work is evident on every street.  Talented musicians can be found in the symphony halls, the churches and on the subways.  Somewhere between one fourth and one third of Berlin's inhabitants are immigrants who have brought the best of their cultures with them.  English is spoken widely in all sectors of the city.

Berlin has two hearts (or two halves of the same heart).  The historic and administrative heart is centered along Unter der Linden from the Brandenberg Gate to Alexander Platz.  The technology and financial heart of Berlin is located a few blocks from the Brandenberg Gate in the area of Potsdamer Platz.  Theaters, banks, office buildings, restaurants, hotels, and special displays--none of them older than 20 years and most much younger--fill Potsdamer Platz.  Just above one end of the Potsdamer Platz S-Bahn station sits the Berlin Marriott, a 10-story brick building with spectacular views of Ebert Strasse, the street that connects Potsdamer Platz and the Brandenberg Gate.

My wife and I have spent many nights at this hotel and we have never been disappointed--whether we were paying or using points.  The VIP lounge on the top floor is a great place to practice your English, in fact it often seems like an American hotel.  The weekend breakfast buffet in the ground-floor restaurant is remarkable in the variety and quality of the food.  Taxi service is prompt and there are always cabs parked outside.  The staff is friendly and professional.  They have often humored me when I was practicing my German.  We have never stayed below the 8th floor, and we always request a room overlooking Ebert Strasse.  These rooms are just as you would expect from a 5-star property, and the hotel has always honored any special requests we made.  About the only complaint I have had is that WiFi isn't free...or wasn't a year ago.

This is not a budget hotel and you can expect to pay a fair price for what you get.  But the overall value is well worth the cost.  Don't miss this experience if you are in Berlin.  Cheers.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Berlin, Germany Marriott Hotels & Resorts Berlin Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Berlin Marriott
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Thanks for the review..I have been to Berlin many years ago, but need to visit again. And will stay at the Berlin Marriott Hotel when I visit based on your review!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Tom,

Great report!  Have stayed there and the CY, and both are very good.  The CY is actually on the former East side of the wall. 

Berlin is a vibrant city and a city with a history that is amazing.  I have had trouble finding people who take me serious when describing Berlin, but it has most anything you would ever want in a major city.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

You wrote an accurate summation of this fine property. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Berlin Marriott and it would be the first place I check into when returning.

In addition to what you had mentioned, I would add that the subway station is right outside the door and that many tourist sites, such as the Brandenburg Gate, Holocaust memorial, Reichstag and Sony Center are very close by.

For those that don't travel with a laptop, the lounge has several connected PC's for free. Speaking of the lounge, it may have been the best I have been to in Europe. It was well stocked and served an excellent breakfast. Here's a pictures I took of it.

Picture 026.jpg

tomagorn Silver

Thanks for mentioning the lounge.  I had forgotten about the free computers there.  Used them to print out my boarding passes.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Wonderful picture, wonderful place!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Looks like a very nice lounge.and it is a nice touch to provide computers for customers to access in the event they do not bring along their own laptops!!!

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

A lot of Marriott's in Europe provide computers in the lounge. Another one that comes to mind is Prague.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Great write up and the Berlin Marriott is definitely on the list of repeats for me.  I was just there this spring and had a fantastic experience.  The property is fantastic and the staff really goes above and beyond.  The location within the city is absolutely great for anyone that wants to do a walking tour and is actually a few minute walk from the bus tour stops.  We walked all over the city and decided to take the hop on/off bus tour on the way back from the Hard Rock Cafe.  It was cheaper than a cab and just a fantastic tour (in english and german) that covered a great deal of the city (like 80 or 90 POIs).

I didnt get any pics of the hotel interior but here's one from just outside the property.  The wall is still standing in some areas, its quite something to see in person.

DSC01293.JPG

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
      arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Hi Kharada,

Much would depend on when you are intending to stay there. Spring and Autumn tend to be the more popular times, particularly during week-days, hence the room rates will be higher - but even so, my sense is that euros 195 will be at the higher end of that range. By contrast, the high summer months (July and August, in particular) tend to be less busy; the business community is less active then; and you tend to get rates between euros 125 and 160. I was there two weeks ago, and the rates were around Euros 135 for a standard room.

However - just to further complicate your decision - over the past few years the number of visitors to Berlin during the conventional summer school holidays has increased significantly. If this trend continues, it will inevitably be reflected in higher room rates. The reason is partly to do with the growing number of airline carriers - including the likes of Delta - now flying direct into Tegel. A new International Airport ("Willy Brandt") was due to come into operation in June 2012, but the opening was delayed because of problems with "fire security" arrangements. The target "opening" date is now the summer of 2014.

Lastly - and to complicate matters still further - if you can predict trends in global exchange rates over the next year, please let me know!

Enjoy yourselves whenever.................

A

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Hi arkwright,

Thanks for the explanation!  We're actually going in November.  I'm guessing the rates will be in the upper end of the spectrum during this time?  The stay would be on weekdays with us checking out on a Friday.

Thanks again! 

Kyle

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...