13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2011 6:31 PM by anadyr RSS

we will serve no wine before....

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

chateau.jpg

I took a photo of the regular French red wine bottles that we brought to the Marquis, and for which we needed our free corkscrew while there.

A good friend, a certified Sommelier, once told me that if red and white wines are served at room temperature in a black colored glass, the vast majority of tasters cannot tell the difference between them!  He ought to know.  So, rather than break the neck on the desk we unscrewed the cork with our compplimentary puller and savored the wine in our room-provided water glasses.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: we will serve no wine before....
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

These are very expensive wines.  This is no 2bc, I would guess these to be $500 + a bottle.  These are "First Growth" wines.  How were they?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

They were great on the palate,hints of raspberries, smoked tuna and engine oil! (just kidding, I have had these once in a lifetime on a PanAm first class

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

So you were just pulling our leg here..Where is the abuse button!!!

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

ok, I wanna have the SSSSSSS designation when I grow up

3k a bottle and with 100 pts Wine Spectator, 98 pts Wine Advocate, 96 pts International Wine Cellar OMG that had to be yummy.... big pimpin for sure

Great with Kobe Beef imported from Japan and driven in from JFK (I wish)

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I can only dream.  I'm sure it would be somewhat wasted on my less developed palate!

I would comment that wines of this price range are more about the anticipation than the actual taste.

SS,

Just picked up a case of 2bc, for a whopping $38 including tax.  I take it on the road with me each week.  They make a great gift and I have never had anyone say they did not like the wine.

Pan AM, those were the days.  The youth of today will never know what travel used to be like!

It's 27 in CA, as you know and yes it is very good, at any price.  When they have the Pinot Noir (rarely) I always buy what they have, in case lots, since it rivals the stuff at ten times the price.

SS,

Did they charge you for the glasses?

How was the The Lafite Rothschild out of the  "Paper Bag", the one you used at Magnolia Grill? 

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Wait, I am definitely not a youth of today, and never got to fly on Pan Am .  I think the only overseas flights I had in my younger years, were on the "Flying Tiger ailines", going to and from overseas.  I don't think C-130's count because you don't get to check luggage .  I am stuck judging overseas flights with what I have been on today.  So sad.

Tryt,

I am with you, so sad!

But it seems like travel is headed that way.  I took someone on The Eurostar with me, her first time, and I had stated that it was a really special train and the travel was most memorable.  For the first time, it really wasn't, it was mass transit.

We had good luck "borrowing" more glasses from a location not to be mentioned.  I actually like the 1986 Chateau Lafitte better paper bag or no.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...