10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2011 8:35 AM by anadyr RSS

(not) In hot water

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The Marriott Marquis in NYC continues to disappoint.  Noticing that there was NO hot water this morning I called and was told, "we know there is a problem and we are working on it.  We are full and everyone must be taking a shower at the same time, so maybe if you wait a while it will get hot again."  I wish I were making this up, becuase if smacks of a Seinfeld episode yet to be written. 

I would hope that a hotel, especially one that is Category 8, would be able to handle multiple, even total demand for hot water.  Getting none is a serious shortcoming, onethat should never happen in any hotel. It's like checking in and finding no bed in your room, or seeing that there are no wine glasses (Oh I forgot they are available for a charge!)

Spending a week here is costing us plenty in points (240,000) to be exact.  If I were paying it would be over $4,000 for the privilege.  In any event it seems I am getting far less than what I am paying for.

I am going to follow up with the GM and customer care, but the once mighty Marquis is slipping badly in my opinion, and needs to rethink what it means to be a great hotel.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA
  • Re: (not) In hot water
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Sounds like the ghost of Rod Serling is staying there.........and taking over......

You have entered a new dimension............

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Maybe an alternative Universe, one in which service is an option?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

No hot water..not good. I think that has happened two or three times in my "hotel history".

How about this one. I was busy with family obligations one Sunday a couple of years back. I wasn't able to hit the road until 10 PM. I drove to BWI area for a Monday 7AM meeting.I arrived in my Hampton Inn around 1:30AM. I was lucky I called because the night clerk mentioned that I had the last room and they almost gave it away. I carry my two loads up to the second floor. In the room, I use the facilities, brush my teeth and hit the bed. The alarm goes off at 5:30AM. I drag myself out of bed , turn on the shower and reach to pull the shower curtain closed. THERE WAS NO SHOWER CURTAIN!!. I call down to the front desk. The overnighter was speechless. She wasn't sure what to do or where to get another curtain. BUT, don't worry, the GM will be in by 7:30 to help out. Needless to say, I did my best to avoid flooding the bathroom and was gone long before the GM arrived.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Wow..another disastor for you. What's going on with the Marriott Marquis? I hope the GM has some wisdom for you regarding the downturn in service there. Maybe they need a new GM?

I also know the regional VP and he will be getting a constructive note from me.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I hope they get it resolved to your satisfaction SSSSSSSSSSS   I was underwhelmed when I stayed there and honestly these days I just take the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott.  Its a little bit of a subway ride in but they have never disappointed me and have a few suites worth the upgrades....plus they are cheaper on points

No hot water for that many points, plus a lack of an upgrade, plus the nickle and diming...eh, time for them to upgrade their view and really work to regain that "top spot" because its far from that these days.

Cat 8 it is far from.  There are other places and we'll try that next time

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Unfortunately, they must feel that they do not have to be customer oriented since occupancy rate seems to be very high. Only if they start to lose business will they pull up their socks.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Cat 8 prices but way below that in service!

I assume that the 2008 recession caused them to reduce staff and to their amazement things have picked up but staffing remains at a lower level.  They are looking for a way to generate revenue, much as the airlines did with bag, pillow and food fees.  Yes, it does cost them money to provide a delivery of a wine glass, and yes I might tip the bringer of the glass, but no I will not be required  to add the mandatory tip to the service!  And that's the truth,

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...