9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2011 5:39 PM by anadyr RSS

Veteran's Day NYC 2011

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We stood at attention as the flags passed, watched as members of the Wounded Warrior's Project marched by, saw the Mayor and a lot of politicians, but what struck me most was the small contingent of World War II veterans, about 15, some in wheelchairs, all riding on a flatbed trailer.  One Gentleman wearing his dress uniform, rendered his salute to me standing ten feet away.  I tipped my cap and then returned his salute. This is a man of the Greatestr Generation!

RSCN9665.JPG

There were other men and women of honor there yesterday

DSCN9644.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Veteran's Day NYC 2011
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

SS,

What a wonderful thing to share with us.  These veterans of this era are leaving us quickly, but much of what we have and can enjoy today, we owe to their sacrifices.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Absolutely, one Korean war vet asked me if I was "in" and when I said yes, he asked why I wasn't marching!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

And what was your reply???

I told him that I was with him and his men and women in spirit, and he saluted then left.  It was a tender moment, and he like me lost a lot of friends over the years, manty while we served. We now see them aging, graying, hobbling but we honor their service as before.

It is sad that these great warriors are aging, graying and hobbling, just like us. But I am proud to be a veteren and having served our great country!!!!!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

Did you see our meet the oldest CMH winner?

He was on Fox news and seem like a great guy.  They had other Cong. Medal of Honor members in that parade.  What an event.

Jerry I saw their float in the parade and there was a hush among the Wounded Warrior asemblage where I was standing. I did not see MOH the winner on TV, sadly since we were at the parade for three hours

11/11/11 - What a great day and date for Veterans!!!!

Jasper, we were never pro-war, just willing to serve our co, thuntry.  That means something, for as my TAC officer said at Fort Benning, " we'll teach you irrational behavior--like standing up to enemy fire and yelling 'follow me!"

All of us have done a lot in our lives, and some for reasons other than profit.  I count my three years in the Army as one of those.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...