27 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2011 8:32 AM by anadyr RSS

Water into

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

At the New York Marriott Marquis last night I was enjoying a fine wine (from Trader Joe's) and realized my TSA acquaintances  borrowed permanently my wine puller.  No it was not a screw top bottle, I am a big spender. 

I called AYS and asked for a corkscrew and two wine glasses.  AYS told me that the corkscrew was on it's way but the glasses would be had for a charge, billed to my room!  I said no thanks.  Guess this is a new idea, and seems a little petty to me when rooms are over $550 a night.

See my  addendum below.  The irony is that at Godspell, the man playing Jesus turned water into wine, not really, but pretend. I am fairly sure he was not charged for the glass either.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Manhattan, New York, USA
  • Re: Water into
    nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi SSSS - I'm not sure if I follow - are you saying that they would not bring up wine glasses from the hotel bar without charging you for them? (I'm only asking because it seems so incredible that I figure I must be misunderstanding what you meant!)  If so, I've never heard of such a thing. I can't begin to count the number of times I've been in the same situation and have either 1.) stopped by the bar on the way to my room and snared the necessary glasses (after showing my room key to verify that I am indeed a guest) or 2.) just called room service and had them bring some up. I've never had a bartender try to bill me or found a fee on my bill.

I agree, it's really petty especially at a property such as the Marriott Marquis. I've stayed at the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge and the Marriott East Side, and, as I recall, asked for glasses at both. No mention of a charge, and no charge when the bill was slid under the door.

I'll be interested to see if other Insiders have had the same experience as you. If this is going to become a new standard of service at full-service Marriott's such as the Marquis, I suspect that there will be quite a bit of backlash. I don't mind spending the money for a room at a full service Marriott or Renaissance, but do object to being nickle and dimed.

Did you say anything upon checkout?

nhtraveler

ps - What does AYS stand for? I've been trying to figure that out and it's drving me crazy. When you tell me, I'll probably be really embarrassed that I couldn't figure it out.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I am with you nhtraveler, I cannot believe that the Marriott Marquis would charge anyone (and particularly a Platinum Member) for wine glasses. I would have immediately brought this up line to the GM if I had too, as this would be very unacceptable to me!!! Knowing SSSS,, I would have assumed he would have elevated this issue on principle alone. I know I would have!!!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

nh:

I believe the ays is the 'At Your Service' button on the room phone.

This is true, according to AYS, and I am still in the hotel.  My intent is to speak with the GM upon leaving Wednesday to inquire how long this has been in effect and why it was started.  Ironically we've normally gotten free Champagne and Wine (complete with glasses at no charge), fruit plates, cheese plates, desserts, etc.

At your service is AYS, and they offered to set up the charge with Room Service.  I am not making this up.  And these were not Titanium Crystal stemwear either!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Pretty bad when the glasses cost you more than the bottle of wine!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I don't even know where to begin. Really?  What's next, deposit on napkins and silverware you have at your meal?  That would really cramp my style of getting that full set

tryt,

Don't be surprised when this happens, look at the airlines today.

If this is a new deal, it's not a good one. I have never had anyone charge me for a requested wine glass......I guess I'll have to use my waterglass.....

Come to think of it, did they charge for the call?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

That is the whole problem with "Full Service" hotels, in my opinion. They nickel and dime, actually $10 and $20, for everything.

I stayed at a big city Marriott a few years back. I was bringing in a 6 pack of Heiny and a bottle of Pinot for my wife. The front desk, politely, explained that because there was a restaurant on the premises, outside food and beverages were prohibited. I was a bit taken back. The young lady did say that the policy had always been in place but upper management requested all staff to remind the guests. I asked if they ever enforced the policy. She responded, "not really".

Now, back to Stoney's problem at the Marriott Marquis. Is it possible that they thought you wanted wine in the glasses? I bet not, just thought I'd ask.  Also, what was the charge for two glasses?

PP,

I have never heard of this one before!  Wow, that is mind bending.  I will share with you a few years ago I stayed at the NYC Marquise and it was so expensive to eat there it shocked me.  This was in the basic dining room, nothing fancy.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

I never bother with a stemed wine glass unless there is one in the room  ... no, I don't drink from the bottle ... I just use the water tumbler.  Some of the expensive European restaurants now serve red wine in stem-less wine bowls ... so I just tell myself that the water tumbler is really a stem-less wine bowl!  The wine tastes just the same!

Chris,

Yes, Yes, Yes,.

There is a charge, actually a mandatory gratuity of $2.50 per glass that is required to trransport these glasses to the room via room service.  Just checked again. Sounds like airline bag fees and it is not a nice thing.

If they are really that desperate for income (hard to believe), they would have done better to up the room charge from $550 to $555 per night with "free" wine glass delivery thrown in.  Some places that do things like this will take a hit when they get to have ratings and reviews on their hotel  Thank goodness!

Could you have gone down and pick up the glasses without a gratuity charge???

This is very sad for the Marriott...Even if they had this required charge, you would think that they would have waived it for a Platinum Member. It is not the amount it is the principle. Shame on you Marriott Marquis..For $5 you made many Marriott Insiders very unhappy here. Again, another sign that the services provided their most loyal customer's is going further downhill...

engineergirl Platinum 1 Reviews

Uh, this may be my fault, SS....I *might* have asked for glasses each night I stayed there in September.  Obviously I overloaded the system, resulting in a labor study which revealed too much time was being spent on bringing wine glasses to Platinum guests.  (I did, however, enjoy my Two Buck Chuck from stemmed glassware).  I'm so sorry you are now paying the price--literally. 

E-Girl,

Well put, now I know why I switched from the Marquise to the CY South Times Square.

At least you were enjoying good wine.  As we have said in another thread, Two Buck Chuck can be hard to beat for the price!

Yes but drinking the wine out of paper cups takes away from the ambiance!!!!

I turn on a travel night light to improve the ambiance............then we can't see the paper cup.

I've seen some really pretty patterns on paper cups .  Besides, after the first bottle, who notices?

Did somebody say something about taken away in an ambulance?  Oops, need to read closer, I see.

I charged a set of Schott Sweissels (@76 each) to Jaspers Amex, and we are loving them. I may leave them for the next guest

Since I paid for them, I would rather you send them to me rather than leaving them for the next guest!!!

Even though they are Titanium Crystal they may break in the Priority Mail envelope in wich I mailed them,

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...