36 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2011 5:59 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Friday

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

November 11th is called Veteran's Day in the USA.  For many it is just another day but it honors the millions of men and women who served and continue to serve in the armed forces of the United States.

If you have the time visit a VA hospital to say thanks.   Join Operation Yellow Ribbon or countless other charities that provide comfort to troops overseas.  Failing that, thank a serviceman or woman if you see them, with a knowing nod, a handshake, or just a smile.  Pay for their coffee at Starbucks, give them a meal at a fast food restaurant, or anything that lets them know you appreciate what they do.  Honor them in small and larger ways.

On November 9th, two days before, my wife and I will walk the hallowed ground of  World Trade Center in  lower Manhattan in New York.  We'll pay our respects to another group of Americans who sacrificed their lives ten years ago.

For both these days I'll remember those with whom I served, and those I never knew.

I'll give them the recognition many of us from the 1960's never got, but always missed

On both these days I'll remember this passage from Henry V:

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be never so vile. This day shall gentle his condition.

Happy Veteran's Day

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York City, New York, USA
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Indianapolis Noblesville
  • Re: Friday
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Thank you SS.  As one of the veterans on this site, I appreciate the people who remember their veterans over the years.  I started off as a young enlisted man (a Bomb Loader), but quickly figured out there wasn't much calling for that on the outside, unless commercial airlines started carrying armament (not a bad idea in some places ).   I started taking classes and got into a commissioning program and got my degree in Computer Science.  I appreciate what the military did for me, and was glad I was able to give back to my country as an officer through Desert Shield and Desert Storm.  I didn't have to make very many sacrifices and the military was good to me.  Who I really want to bless, are all the veterans who didn't have it as nice as I did, and had to make so many more sacrifices than I did, especially the ultimate sacrifice.  And finally, to the families of those who sacrificed so deeply, I give all my sympathies and my deepest thank you!

Would you object terribly if I tag on your discussion? I know that Applebee's is giving a free meal to veterans on Veteran's Day (this is not meant to be an endorsement, and I hope it doesn't cross any Marriott lines).  I went last year and thought it was a nice appreciation.  If others know of other chains doing similar types of events, maybe they could post what they know of, so the other veterans on the site could enjoy the appreciations as well.  Thank you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thank you for your service. I am now in Manhattan so I need to find an Applebees!  Let's all rermember those who've served and are serving this Friday and every day.

SS,

Do check with the AppleBees there first, I can't remember if Every one of the restaurants are doing it, or not.  I too appreciate your military service!  Mine seems like a lifetime ago, then again, sometimes it almost seems like yesterday.  Hope you're enjoying your time in Manhattan

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Have a great time in NYC SS, check out Magnolia Bakery if you get a chance   And yes the NY Applebees will be doing the promo, I saw it on tv this weekend.  Are you going down to the river and check out the Intrepid?  They have a special Vietnam Wall exhibit right now until the 20th.  If it wasnt on your plans (though I'm sure it was) you need to add it in as its a very special place to visit. http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/VietnamThemedTours.aspx

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Zukracer,

What is Magnolia Bakery so famous for?  I think I have seen them on the Food or Travel Channel, and it was interesting, but I have never been there.  It just seems to be famous for some special dish.  If you could let me know I would appreciate it.

Jerry, they are best known for their cupcakes... and they are pretty dang yummy for sure

http://www.magnoliabakery.com/bakedgoods_cupcakes.php

http://www.magnoliabakery.com/images/fl_bakedgoods.png

Zuk,

They sure look great!

Thanks for the picture and information.  This must have been what the featured on the Food Channel about them.

Its definitely on the list of yummy places if you are walking around NYC.  There are others but this one usually has a line...and New Yorkers don't like to wait unless its really worth it LOL

We've been to Intrepid several times thanks!  A great place.  We'll head to Magnolia Bakery this weekend when the Lounge will be closed.  Thanks for the tips.  We did tour the 9/11 Memorial today of which I will post later.  Weather is great, and folks here remember us!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Did you get a suite upgrade? Did you eat at Applebee's? Have you seen any musicals and/or plays yet?  Come on SSSSS, the inquiring minds here on Insider's want to know!!!!

No suites just a Times Square view room, but that's OK as the hotel is full to the tippy top!

Saw "Godspell" tonight, and we sat on stage (long story) and loved it.  A new version of the musical with the same great songs.  Even mentioning my SSSS status did not get us tickets to Book of Mormon but I will keep trying.  Spiderman tomorrow

You might want to check online each day, because many times they release tickets at the last minute for Book of Mormon. Good luck!!!

I will mention the Jasper connection if that helps! Today the Bands of Pride, a couple thousand high schoolers, are doing their warm up for the parade tomorrow 30 floors below us in Times Square!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

According to a commercial I just saw on television, Golden Corral will be hosting a Military Appreciation Day on Monday and all military will receive complimentary dinners.  Thank you veterans and active duty military for all the sacrifices you and your families have made.

There is an Applebees right near the Marriott Marquis. I ate their on very rainy day in NYC in the upper level at the Bar. It is right across the street from where Spiderman the Musical is playing. I was disappointed to find out that after a certain time that they put an automatic 18% tip on the bill!!!

SS and all Veterans,

Thanks for the information about Applebees, Did not know this, and will make it a point to go and support our Veterans.

SS, give all our humble respect on your Friday walk.  My family was staying at the Marriott WTC one week prior to 9/11 and since going back to the site is a very "Humbling" experience.

On a lighter note, if you walk out the rear of the Marquis is one of my favorite "Locals" pubs, Barrymore's.  They get a lot of theatrical people in there and actually gave me free theatre tickets to a show.  The other place I really enjoyed is across the street toward the CY South.  Duke's, is a great place for inexpensive quality food, similar to a Panera.  Here is a picture of my buddies daughter at Duke's.

PTDC0007.JPG

Location Brand Hotel
    New York City, New York, USA
      painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I'll buy your buddy's daughter a free meal at Duke's!

Happy Veterans Day.......Never Forget.

PP,

Thanks for the offer, she lives in Chicago and would accept but has two kids to raise.

Thanks!

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

We call it Remembrance Day in the UK but similarly honour our Armed Forces ... big parade in London at the Cenotaph.  We take two minute's silence to remember our courageous friends ... this year, the time and date are fairly profound ... 11th hour of 11th day of the 11th month of the 11th year of the new millennium.  It will be a long time before that sequence comes around again.

Many years ago, a great friend of my father's gave me a poem that he found inspired him in low periods it was by Mary Stevenson ... Footprints in the Sand.  I imagine you know it?  I have always found it equally lifting.

Enjoy New York and your memories.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I thought this topic was familiar, Husker.

• Friday
    http://spacea.net/images/vetdiscounts2011.pdf  Going back to the original subject of honoring vets this Friday...

• Friday

nuhusker,

Very nice comprehensive list!  Now, where to go....

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

SSSS - Thank you for your post honoring our veterans. While the WW II vets are commonly referred to as "the greatest generation" I've always felt that all our veterans, regardless of when and where they served, are collectively our greatest generation. To all the men and women who have served this great country, a heartfelt "Thank you" and I wish you all a good Veterans Day.

VeteransDay.gif

Thank you to all of you that have served or stood beside someone that has served.  Our military members, their spouses and families are the backbone of this great country, without your sacrifices we would not be who we are today and certainly would not have the freedom and liberty we all enjoy.  For those of you that are currently deployed, stay safe and come home soon.

For our international members, thank you as well.  Enjoy your Remembrance Day and celebrate with your country's heroes.  I recall that the UK and its commonwealth members use the Red Poppy as a symbol of this day.

veteran-s-memorial-poppy-559774209.jpg

As I sit here at a very nice Spring Hill Suites in St. Louis I want to say "Thanks to all" for sharing such a touching subject!, and especially to you Vet's on this site.  I plan on taking a Vet. to lunch tomorrow and salute all Vet's.  I was in the Army Reserves, but thinking back at my training at Ft. Polk, La.  was not fun.  Trained as Infantryman, but did not go to Viet Nam, as so many of the others did.

I almost forgot that a few years ago, I designed a collectable three coin set, issued by the Canadian Mint, and used profits to contribute to Veterans.  The set was numbered and limited.  Consisting of three one ounce silver maple leafs, it was an immediate sell out.  Each coin had a "Privy" mark, a tank (VE Day), an infantryman, and a ship.  Luckily, I was honored by the Canadian veterans Assn, in Ottawa.  (Stayed at the wonderful CY in Ottawa).  Here are a couple of photo's.  We will always remember the "Poppy", this was also put on the Canadian Nickel, and was a tremendous success.  I still have #1 set!

PTDC0017.JPG

Hi Jerry,

You made me curious, so I looked and I see there is one of the sets that match the description of the ones you designed on ebay currently.  Here's a link to the listing if anybody wants to see them up close:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2005-Legacy-Liberty-Canadian-Silver-Maple-Leaf-Privy-Set-/170712423294?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bf40db7e#ht_605wt_1085

Tryt,

You are good!

I honestly forgot I did this.  The picture of the set is great, I know the dealer in Traverse City (Good guy).  I had no idea this set is selling for $300.  When I sold them they were around $55 for the entire set!  The picture of the three of us is Ian G. from the Canadian Mint, an officer from Canadian Vets, and yours truly.

Again, thanks so much for sharing this with me!

Location Brand Hotel
        Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Indianapolis Noblesville

Jerry, great job and if there's ever an art contest in Insiders you need to be disqualified! In a good way that is

SS,

Thanks!

I have noticed their are some very "Giving", people on this site.  Your post has really been popular as your "Give it up" is wonderful as well.

Will initiate a post about how much some of us have enjoyed "Giving".

Please make sure to send out some pictures from your "Friday".

Will do

No, thank you.  That is a beautiful design!

Tryt,

You won't believe how I "Raised eyebrows" with the Royal Canadian Mint when I discussed my Veterans project with them.  Initially, I wanted to depict an A- BOMB on the V-J Day coin (I was not trying to do anything in bad taste, but history is history), and that had to be replaced by a Battleship (USS Missouri).  

Still this was an exciting project for a great cause.  This was the first time any country had a "Tank" on an official coin of theirs, and of course it was a first to have a "Colorized Poppy" on a quarter coin. (By the way, a coin is made for by a governmental mint and is denominated, these collectors items are coins and have a Canadian face value of $5 CDN.)

I am still amazed how you found one of these on ebay!  Thanks again!

It's Friday, nov 11th, and I'm back home after spending about 2 hours at the VA hospital in Iowa City.  Visited with 5 vets...2 Vietnam, and 2 Korea.  I am without words to describe how proud I am of each one of theses men.  God bless them all.

Sorry, I meant 3 Vietnam and 2 Korea.

Nice work, NU!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...