Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

59 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2011 2:25 PM by jasper100 RSS

Things are about to get a whole lot more crowded here folks

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Marriott announced that they will permit guests to write reviews about recent stays. The venue for these reviews will be right here on Insiders.

http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/post/2011/11/marriott-rewards-to-let-members-publish-hotel-reviews/561574/1

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Things are about to get a whole lot more crowded here folks
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Yes..this will be a great addition to Insider's and I look forward to posting my reviews!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

ME TOO!

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

yeah, this should be a good thing but will hopefully get people in here participating.  I just hope they have to register to post a review.  I have a few reviews I could put up....one in particular for this week

I am pretty sure they will have to register to participate in giving hotel reviews!!!

I hope so, imagine trying to manage input from non-registered users... could get extra fun...we might even have to re-enlist the super star to active duty

Unfortunately, Stepping Stones Super Star (SSSS) is now a Retired Ambassador and would ask too much increase in pay to serve anymore.

I'll volunteer a 10000% increase for him.....

lets see... we get $0.00 for a 6 month engagement... so 0.00 * 10000% = 0  BUT we can add an extra SD (Super Duper) to the title

Ya know who I havent seen on here recently.... TJC  anyone know where he's hiding?  I just looked his profile says newbie 0 points

Actually, I have a correction here..Based on his number of posts both in the past and recently, SSSS has never gone into retirement and I would expect that we will only hear more from him once these hotel reviews are put in place. So we can all look forward to his critique on the upcoming change to Insiders!!!

I agree. SSSS is currently hard at work, trying to see when the number of posts posted exceeds 9,999 does it roll correctly, and what is the next level past Super Star?  I'm pretty sure the next level is something that has "Supreme Being" in it.  Keep up the good word Steppingstones!

Lets not swell SSSS's head anymore..Its already too big now that he is a Super Star...and I assume he is going to report abuse here as well!!!

True, If we add any more S's to his title, we'd just have to hold down the s key and wait for it to wrap a couple of lines, and guess that was about right.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

As you all may have guests there is no real stepping stones, just a SIRI APP for Marriott Rewards that posts incredibly insightful, wonderfully clever and often misspelled posts to enlighten the other Insiders.  Using the CALO technique for artificial intelligence and natural language, the Stepping Stones App (SSA) is always at the ready, day or night, to respond and to bloviate, bloviate, bloviate, bloviate....end

Sounds like one of those Master Card "priceless" commercials!

My lifetime status and being sworn to secrecy prevents me from running again (to the relief of the folks at Marriott Rewards!)

25,000+ profiles and growing, very impressive!!!!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

It really makes sense to have that information posted here on the MI.  Will be most interesting.

• Things are about to get a whole lot more crowded here folks

Like Yelp there are always lurkers and ringers who make good or bad comments but overall this will make MRI much more usable and realistic in my view.

Marriott Associate Member

Y'all are cracking me up!  That S thing is hysterical...  Steppingstones - you'll always be a member of our family!  And yes - anyone who posts on the Insiders must register first (however, looking around is open to anyone).  An exciting time for sure!  I'd also like to mention that we scooped the community here about this capability in mid-October so you were the first to hear about it.  Keep traveling!

Is there an age limit (eg over 18) Michelle?  I see one poster who looks awfully young, and that's neat, but is it OK?

Michelle,

It looks like Marriott just missed being the first hotel to publish this kind of news by a day or so.  I read an article yesterday, in the Seattle Times (and it was in other papers, of course), about Starwood Hotels & Resorts allowing their users to rate their hotels on their websites.  This is good that we are right up there at the front of this also.

This was suggested by an Insider about a year ago as I recall but regardless of when I for one think it's a great idea.

We rarely take the first mover role in our vertical - a planned strategy.  However, we believe we have a track record of quality well beyond the initial hype. It'll be great fun!

My fear will be that non-sophisticated travelers will do what they do on Trip Advisor, that is, give bad and mediocre ratings for really silly and stupid reasons. How many times have we all read a review where the respondent gave one star to a good property because they called housekeeping for extra towels and they weren't delivered?

The members here at the Insider are all well seasoned travelers and know how to write a review based upon pertinent criteria.

I agree..the reviews here by insiders will be more appropriate and a much better source of information than Trip Advisor, although I will still use Trip Advisor as a secondary source and for other than Marriott Hotel reviews!!!

I agree too, but don't see a fair way to prevent that.  I know when I see reviews that are below what I think an establishment should have, I go read the reviews carefully, and don't place too much rate on just one review, unless I see lots of users rating them low.

I do believe the community will dictate the tone of the conversation - as you've demonstrated numerous times over the years!

Well I guess us old timers are in good shape then..Glad to hear that they cannot be bias to us.. Good news for us!!! I think!!!!

wanttogo Silver

I didn't realize that there was previously a prohibition on writing property reviews on this site.  Was that prohibition explicity stated somewhere?  Was it enforced?

Never a prohibition - we're just formalizing the process with a rating system (stars) tracking processes (more back-end stuff) and more robust tagging to enrich search.

I'm curious, will these reviews be somehow reviewed before publishing?  Also will the property management be engaged in some way to review the reviews, both positive and negative ones ?

Just like now - we post-moderate, meaning there is no delay in seeing a post, but if it fails our 'appropriateness' test, we pull it down afterward.  In terms of property reviews -- again just like we do now -- we'll involve the GMs / guest services as needed for either positive or negative comments.

There was no prohibition.  It is just that there was no easy way to rate and review, and if you started a discussion to do such, it was hard to locate what hotels had been reviewed, etc.  Also, there was no link where reviews were read by, and responded to, from the Marriott Hotels.  This new way is supposed to make all that easier to manipulate, to my understanding.

No..we have always have been writing property reviews on this site....This is just formalizing it resulting in a better platform for these reviews.

As far as registration for responders is concerned, I'm hoping that Marriott requires the review to be written through the respondent's online Rewards account or through a link that is sent out after the stay. This would assure that it's probably legitimate, although anything can happen.

kristyw Platinum 3 Reviews

yikes!!!!!!

kristyw Platinum 3 Reviews

I wish we could have an alternate venue for this like maybe on the hotels link when you are searching for that hotel, maybe?    Marriott - take to us!!!!!!

Since the Insiders site is now fully open, comments & reviews will be picked up by search engines, so you will be able to see them while conducting a general search.  We're starting this out in a controlled environment which will undoubtedly evolve over time.  We're constantly doing research and analytics around what works and what doesn't, and then we do our best to follow the 'works' path more fully.

Wow, fully open, I didn't know that.  So a google search will bring them to discussions, but then they'd need to sign up to make a posting.  And do they still have to have a Marriott Membership number to sign up?

I think I wouldn't mind having it right on this site, because much of the travel research we are doing for travel is right here.  I would love to be able to read reviews and ratings, read of others experiences and tips, see their pictures (versus the canned perfect Marriott pictures), and then make reservations (right from a link to "Make a reservation") from here.  That is just my personal preference.  The main thing to is make the site logical and easy to maneuver and easy to search, to find what you want and how you want to do it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...