16 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2011 11:19 AM by lizbeth RSS

My most unusual experience in a Marriott hotel was?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

OK, I have been in a lot of Marriott hotels since the middle 1960's.

I thought that I had seen and heard everything, but at a Lounge in the Midwest USA last year the Concierge told me that they were out of bottled water and other drinks.  When I asked why she said that a guest had entered the Lounge with his own hand truck and cleaned them out of all bottled and canned non-Alcoholic drinks, and most of the food laying around.  Not only that, but later when things were being replenished he came back for more!

Seems they had arrived in an RV, and though spending a night in the hotel, they wanted to have the chance to restock on Marriott's dime as it were.

We decided that they must be doing this from time to time since they came with their own dolly!

For the moment, that is the most unusual experience I can think of in a Marriott.

There must be others, and I'd love to hear them.

You can protect the innocent if you'd like and not name the people but the locale can be a general one.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Long Beach, California, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Long Beach Hotel
  • Re: My most unusual experience in a Marriott hotel was?
    pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

My most unusual experience was watching and listening to a GM lecture a group of 25 high school hockey players and the dozen chaperon parents in the lobby seating area. Topic? If any of the guests complained about noise, running through hallways, etc. as had happened the previous night they would be asked to leave no matter the time of day. Not sure if he could do that contractual-wise, but it was an unusual experience!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• My most unusual experience in a Marriott hotel was?

Pingreeman's recent post reminded me of checking into the Santa Clara CA Marriott and finding the place was  full of soothsayers, clairvoyants, and palm readers there for a convention that was to last forever (or so I overhead one telling another on the elevator).  It was over in two days but no one is perfect all the time.

I did have a little fun asking them what floor I was on (they should have known right?), or what the next person on the elevator would be wearing.  Some played along but like the people at Hogwarts in the Harry Potter books, most gave me the Muggle treatment.

And no one took me up on my offer to conduct a seance in the hoy tub either

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

This is a great question.  I really cannot think there was anytime I had an unusual experience.  I only really remember everything pretty much in order.  I do not need to make this up, but really do not remember anything special about my check in's.

Jerry, c'mon search those memory banks!  Something must have happened.  If you stayed at the Marquis you recall the interminable waits for the elevators, right?  I met Senator Tom Daschle waiting for one but we never discussed his tax problems, it was only a twenty minute delay in getting an elevator!

pusher Platinum 3 Reviews

I have had two crazy events at Marriott hotels - but they have been a while a go so dont ask me the year as I have been a MR (Club Marquis) member for a long time.

First was a very new hotel - Atlanta Airport if I remember correctly where the fire alarm kept going off in the middle of the night due to errors in their system related to the newness of the hotel (open 2 days.)  It was frustrating for all but the staff was very nice about it.  It was a new system where they could make announcement via the system so it would go off, they would tell us it was a false alarm and say they were sorry reset the system and it would go off again.

Second was in the Daytona Beach Marriott when we were down to watch Gen. Sue Helms shuttle launch.  The transformer above the elevator exploded and we were all evacuated for about

4 hrs in the middle of the night.  I was glad it was Daytona Beach and the weather was mild - we just hung out at the beach for a while.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I have had reasonably long waits for an elevator at the Marriott Marquies but ususally within 5 minutes or so, they were there..So I have no big complaint about waiting for elevators at the Marriott Marquies!!!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

So, a while back, I'm staying at the Long Beach Renaissance, which is very nice.  And they put me in an utterly killer suite - I think they call it the Presidential Suite - top floor, corner, breathtaking views, comfortable, etc.  (And, of course, I'm traveling alone, on business, so most of it is wasted...)  Anyway, it happens to be the week of the Long Beach Grand Prix (which, apparently, is an annual event) - http://www.gplb.com/ -  but they're racing cars in the street.  A day or two before the "big" race, they had celebrities racing (in tricked out  Toyota Celica GT's)....  Basically, one block away, and directly below my window, there's a 90-degree (hard right) turn in the race course.  Granted, it was a little loud - the engines were screaming - but it was pretty entertaining....

Location Brand Hotel
    Long Beach, California, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Long Beach Hotel
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

One of the most unusual things that happened at a Marriott was in Amsterdam. We spent several days at the Amsterdam Marriott in a nice upgraded suite. I was awoken by a large noise that sounded like a bomb going off at around 2:00am and my family was quite concerned. I got dressed quickly and went outside to see what had happened. There were many police outside the hotel. I came to find out that it was in fact a bomb at a closeby airport office that terrorists set off. It was a very unusual and somewhat scary experience!!!

72phins Platinum

My only unusual experience was at the JW in downtown Park City, UT.  It was about 4 years ago in May, which is when most of the town shuts down between ski season and the summer vacation season.  The property was great, except for one thing, it was totally uninhabitted.  I only saw one hotel employee, the person who checked me in.  I never saw another guest or any cleaning staff.  No sounds of people walking the hallways, nothing.  It started to get creepy, in a "The Shining" sort of way.

Again, the property was awesome, just creepy when you have a few hundred rooms to yourself.

nexus Platinum 8 Reviews

2 unusual experiences

The first was at the Elizabeth, NJ Courtyard.  One evening I was in my room changing clothes after work.  I heard the electronic key unlock and immediately turned to the door.  Some guy walked into my room looked around, saw me and hurriedly left.  I quickly finished changing and ran after him, but he was long gone.  I went to the front desk to ask about it.  It was not one of their staff and no one could tell my how someone had a key to my room.  They never followed up on the incident. 

I was at the Six Flags Courtyard out side of Atlanta, GA.  After a long day of travelling, I was looking forward to hurrying up to my room and relaxing.  When I entered the room it looked like a frat party had just ended.  There were beer cans and bottles strewn about.  There were several pizza boxes in various and interesting locations.  The bed sheets were by the balcony door, there were wet towels everywhere and there was still some ice in the bathtub.  I went to the front desk and asked if I could have a clean room.  The poor guy at the from was horribly embarrassed and immediately upgraded me to a Suite, which fortunately was clean.  I thought the situation humorous.

These days they can trace the last 24 hours through the electronic locks to see who entered and for what reason.  At a C Lounge an attendant's purse was stolen and the culprit had used his room key to enter the lounge through the locked door, and was apprehended.

a307017 Gold 8 Reviews

I think my most unusual experience is one that I caused just recently. As a serious amateur photographers, I work part time for a photo workshop group. On a recent trip we ended up at the hotel only to find out they didn't have a conference room for us. So I spoke to the manager on duty and they offered up the lobby. We broke out the projector and proceeded to hold class in the middle of the lobby at 9pm. The staff thought it was a hoot and some of the passerby's ended up sitting in on the class.   

lizbeth Platinum

Last May, we were at the Marriott Copley Plaza for a couple of days so that we could attend my nephew's graduation from BC Law School.  The place was packed with families, because it was a major graduation weekend at many of the colleges and universities, and the atmosphere was festive.  My husband, sister, brother-in-law and I got on an elevator that had three other folks on it, two men and a woman.  One of the men was obviously a hotel employee--perhaps the manager--and he was speaking to the couple with great enthusiasm.  The couple was several years our senior, and the woman was dressed exquisitely.  I complimented her on her outfit, and she thanked me very graciously.  The elevator was small, and she remarked that she was trying not to get in anyone's way.  I remarked that I spent my life doing that, although sometimes I wasn't successful.  Her husband remarked that he wasn't either.  We all chuckled.

We left the elevator before they got off, and when the doors had closed my husband asked me if I knew who the gentleman on the elevator was.  I said, "No, who was it?"  "Bill Marriott" he replied.  Wish I had known!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...