36 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2011 6:51 PM by jerrycoin RSS

A 1994 visit to the (other) Cape

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

In the summer of 1994 I was a featured speaker at an international conference in Orlando Florida and a friend, a senior member of the Lockheed Corporation's staff, casually asked if we (my wife and daughter, and I) would like to see Cape Canaveral. It was at the time when the woodpeckers were attacking the foam on the shuttle and Lockheed provided the staff to scare them off using air horns.  (think what their resumes must have said for that job!).

We actually got the Cape Director's Tour, a private van with senior driver, who said, "where do you want to go?"  Our then teenage daughter asked to visit the employee store, which we did. My wife, who abhors heights, wanted to see the shuttle Discovery on the launch pad, so we drove to the pad, took the astronaut elevator, went to the top, saw the woodpecker watchers.  I am sure the guide still has memories of her grabbing his shoulders tightly as we stepped onto the open gantry  We also went in the STS cargo bay (but not the cockpit), a clean room that needed to be cleaned after we left, and even pulled in front of the Creepy Crawler, the huge, slow moving tractor, so that the guide could scoop up some "little rocks" the substance on which it lumbered along.

A great day and I finally found these non-digital snaps.

Notice the round balloons near the top of the shuttle in two of these photos? Those were the scary faces that the woodpeckers were supposed to be frightened off by but instead drew them like magnets to the Shuttle's lovely foamy coating.

Top.bmp.jpg

Top-1.bmp.jpg

Top-3.bmp.jpg

Top-2.bmp.jpg

Top-4.bmp.jpg

Top-5.bmp.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Cape Canaveral, Florida, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Cape Canaveral Cocoa Beach
Titusville, Florida, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Titusville Kennedy Space Center
  • Re: A 1994 visit to the (other) Cape
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

1994???  I was a mere child then!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I had dark hair then and thought Warner Brothers golf shirts were cool -- still do but can't find mine

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

I am at the FF in Titusville this week-end and will have an up to date report soon on KSC.  The Lockheed PR Director Dr. John Williams (Wife Amelia) are friends of mine, did you recall meeting him?  He is a great Georgia fan and a funny guy.  The President of Lockheed, Jerry O. might have been someone else who you may have met.  Great group of people at Lockheed.  Here is a picture of Dr. Williams, Public Relations Director for Lockheed, Dr. Truman Henard, Astronuat Candidate, me, and Sue Munsey, US Congressional candidate.  We are waiting for the shuttle to lift off at dawn, it did and was a wonderful shot!

PTDC0056.JPG

Location Brand Hotel
    Titusville, Florida, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Titusville Kennedy Space Center

Great shot Jerry, I was honored to know Kelly Johnson, Ben Rich, Norm Augustine, and John McMann  who led Lockheed's exemplary work at first the Skunk Works in Burbank and now in Palmdale CA.  Kelly and Ben changed the world as we know it, and remained largely in the shadows, in what are called "black programs."  The honor was mine as was that tour--have a great time!

SS,

Wasn't there a show on History Channel or Military Channel about these guys and the Skunk Works?  It was fascinating, Thanks for sharing this!

Location Brand Hotel

Many times featured on both the History and the Military Channel and here

SS,

Your photo's and information are great!

Had no idea this has been around so long!  Now it makes me wonder what they have now.

I keep these TV shows on while I am sitting in my Marriott's and working on MI!  Simple pleasures!

Jerry:

Here's an IMAX movie from 1984 worth downloading--I especially liked the run down CA 1 at breakneck speeds and of course the Blue Angels and the SR-71 tooiTunes 1152011 13621 PM.bmp.jpg.  It was the second IMAX that I had seen and still give me goosebumps!

SS,

Thanks!

I just can't get enough of this stuff!

Big news here at KSC, is that Boeing is going to take the VAB and produce other items there.  That means jobs for a depressed area.

Great news Jerry!  Love that place and people who work (and worked) there.

Have you also been to Vandenburg AFB here?

SS,

No, never been to Vandenburg!

Seems to be on the right track to launch rockets, one just went off a few days ago.

Love the space program.

Can't go, but there is a great event here, right now, at KSC, "Astronaut Autograph & Memorabilia Show", www.AstronautScholarship.org

These are great times, I just hope it is not all behind us!

There's an unused shuttle launchpad there, but the weather is so problematic that it is a relic. The base is huge, as is Edwards in the Mojave, and a must visit (if you can gain access, since the security is tighter these days).

SS,

I am not sure, my brother, who I was with today, fueled the shuttle.  He is still fueling rockets and know all the details of what's going on here.

As I leave this FF to go to Cocoa Village to have a great dinner at Cafe Margaux, where my longtime friend and owner, Alex Litras, has provided special dinners.

Will get some updated information and pictures of KSC shortly.

Thanks Jerry and have a great time--love to see the photos too when you get them

SS,

Will do, this was not a "Fun" trip, but this area has had many wonderful experiences for me over the last few decades.  the FF has really been great.

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Truly fascinating. Thank you

Arkwright,

I hope I can get some of my night launch shots posted.  Each space shot was unique.  The dawn shot previously posted actually made a "Curtain" at dawn.  The sun could be seen on each side of the curtain, but the "Created" by the shuttle blocked the Sun in the middle of the area.  Really different.

Again hope I can get the pictures to post.

Jerry, I look forward to your pictures here. Good luck in getting them posted!!!

Jasper,

When I get back home, will start a KSC post on the center and area.  It is a popular place for tourists and most interesting.  I can't go today, but their is an event at the KSC Visitor complex with 29 Astronauts attending and numerous other space guests.

I did shake Senator John Glenn's hand while he was a speaker at Georgetown, and shortly after the Apollo moon landings heard the three member crew speak at Contitution Hall on the mall in DC as part of the National Geographic lecture series.  Those were the days.

SS,

Attended the 25th anniversary of Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs.  Few from the public were actually there.  Met John Glenn, whose character was great in "The Right Stuff".  He was much more modest than portrayed in the movie.  I think the Astronauts get together they have a special respect for each other and what they have done. 

All of these people really have or had "The Right Stuff".

Met the wife (second one) of a Gemini astronaut at a Marriott C, Lounge, where she worked and shortly after his passing.  My wife and I spent an hour listening to her soft spoken tales of those days and the times we long to go back to!

SS,

Most of these "Heroes" go about public life without anyone knowing who they are.  They like it that way.  The most private is Neil Armstrong, who even the other Astronauts respect his privacy.  He is a very quiet guy and he did attend the 25th Anniversary of The Apollo Program at Astronaut Hall of Fame.  I was there and that was the same night OJ was chased by the police.  What a night!

My brother worked for Fred Haise (Apollo 13), had lunch with him at a Burger King, no one new who he was.  When the movie was being made, the actors came to watch a launch, and it all went well.  Fred commented he wanted Tom Cruise to play his part in Apollo 13.  It was in jest, but the movie was great.  Note, on the first picture, John Denver, with Alan Shepherd, and the painting done by Astronaut Bean, and all of the Apollo Astronauts signed.  The sold prints and I was to dumb to buy one, what a mistake, to have a print signed by these Astronuats!

PTDC0042.JPG

PTDC0030.JPGThis is Fred Haise with friends at the 25th Apollo Anniversary program.

Location Brand Hotel

Jerry, my wife played golf with a friend at what was then the military and guests only Navy Golf Course here in Monterey years ago. The starter  warned her not to hit into the twosome in front of her on the second hole.  She asked why since she never had done that before.  That's Alan Shepard, the guy who used the golf club on the moon, he told her.  Needless to say she did not hit into him, and gave Alan Shepard.jpghim plenty of room to play.

A great man and one of the many with the right stuff for sure.

SS,

I met AS, and he was a difficult man to approach, it was the RI in Cocoa Beach, actually next door.  I did not realize he was an Admiral in the Navy, but he was very special.  I got his autograph, and he was a very calm and quiet type of person.  He was much like Clint Eastwood, who you can relate to.  Many of these "Celeb's" are really very nice people who realize they are just very lucky talented people.

He ran afoul of NASA over some UFO remarks as I recall but was a gentleman nonetheless.  And a great astronaut to boot.

SS,

Did not know that, but it was obvious when you met him, he was "The Right Stuff".

These guys were very special, and they did not never had to tell you, they just were.

Also met John McCain when he was a few years younger and a Senator even then. Very gracious and a man of honor too.

SS,

In 1968 I was in the local paper for witnessing a UFO (Along with 100's of others) that was flying from South to North over KSC!  It was pointe out to by a Florida Highway Patrolman.  KSC has always been a "No Fly Zone",  I know of a number of Astronauts have witnessed UFO's.  There is something up there!

By the way, the FF in Titusville is one of the nicest FF's I have ever stayed at and is very well run.  That is my 4th stay there and each one has been better than the last.

OK..now you are telling us you believe in UFO's..Next thing you will tell us that you were captured on a UFO and tested for being a super being..oh sorry, I meant that for SSSS!!!!

Jasper,

No I have not been abducted, (Yet). 

I sure don't know what it was, but in 1968 there was nothing like this around.  Had the FHP not pointed it out I would not have even noticed the UFO.

Should we start a poll on How many of us believe in UFO's and Marriotts on different planets or maybe one for how many Insiders have been abducted and for how many days????

Did you know that there is an ET Elite (not in the visible wavelength) out there? I met some of them at a recent Star Trek event.

After a colonoscopy the Dr. commented on his recent work and the length of the item he was viewing.  I calmly said, "That's what the Aliens said when they abducted me!"  He put it down to Valuim overload I am sure.

Maybe that is when Jerry saw the UFO...Maybe after a colnoscopy???

UFRO?

Jasper,

How did you know?

"Only my hairdresser knew for sure"!

(We are going to get SS on a whole new post) ie, "Would you believe, I have a cold?

Just to make it official, I am spending the night in a Marriott, a good one in West St. Louis.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...