40 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2011 4:27 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Celebs part deux

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I met the Beach Boys at a function at Pebble Beach CA's Lodge during the run up to the Concours d"Elegance in 1988.  Nice guys, and they sang great songs in perfect harmony. They were the lead band in a star studded extravaganza that night. It was part of a fund-raiser for Suicide Prevention. A great cause and a great evening one chilly summer night here on the Peninsula.

Now there is new 2CD release of songs recorded in the 1960's, glued together from lost tapes, etc.

Boy, am I that old or just them (the remaining them is Al Jardine (with the hat in this ancient snaphot)), who lives down the road in Big Sur, that is.

BB.jpg

Help me Rhonda, to remember those days!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
St. Louis, Missouri, USA Courtyard By Marriott
Seoul, South Korea
  • Re: Celebs part deux
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

Never saw the BB's but that had to be one great evening!

Do you know who this female is?  She is pretty famous and a wonderful lady.

IMGP1475.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    St. Louis, Missouri, USA Courtyard By Marriott

One of the Williams sisters of tennis fame?

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Not!!!!

Hint,

Athletic, Olympic Gold Medalist!

Location Brand Hotel
      Seoul, South Korea
      tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Jackie-Joyner Kersie???

Tef,

You are correct! (Thanks to Jasper, You too will win an autograph from SS!).

She is very pleasant and very modest.  Physically in great shape.

Sorry Tef, only one SSSS autograph- SSSS restricts his autographs to one per customer. However, he said he would make an exception for you. So please send $200 cash in small bills to:

Jasper100

Lake Mary, Florida

On its way.......FedEx just left....

How old is the picture? Wasn't it a long time ago she won the gold? She looks really great (as do you) and in good shape.

Regards the autograph......does that mean I have to pay twice? This is getting expensive.

They both look good but to say Jerry is in good shape may be stretch (no pun intended) ???  Please don't report me for abuse Jerry!!!

Jasper,

How can I report you when I am always on "Report"!

Tef,

This picture was this Summer 2011, she is in great shape and when you get around her she is attractive and feminine. 

I saw the Beach Boys at Orlando Universal recently and to be frank, they are not as good as they used to be..I guess that happens with age.

IM000503.JPG

Can you name this Celebrity?

Greg Norman who, as I recall, is now married to Chris Evert.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

not anymore.

You are correct. You win SSSS (Stepping Stone Super Star) autograph at a lower than usual rate of $100.

I met Greg Norman when he was engaged to Chris Evert at a special event at the US Open. This was an American Express Platinum Card Holder event that was very resticted. (only about 100 guests were invited). Greg was there with Chris Evert but was very careful not to get in the lime light. The event was in a very glamorous tent with food and alcohol provided free to the attendees. A very nice event with Chris Evert and Mary Jo Fernandes  answering questions from the attendees and then providing autographs. Greg was very gracious and I enjoyed talking to him. He autographed my US Open hat and drew a golf hole on the hat. On that same hat, I got Chris Everts Autograph also. However, like most celebrities, they are now divorced.

IM000504.JPGIM000499.JPG

IMG_5183.JPG

Did not know they were splitsville.....do any of these celebrity marriages ever work???

Jasper...for that SSSS autograph memento.....do you accept the Marriott Visa card?

Sorry, as SSSS agent, we only take cash, for tax reasons!!

The shark--had dinner with him in Monterey one year (he was in the same restaurant at the next table, our daughter asked for an autograph and he was very gracious to give it and chat with her.

Jasper,

He has some great wine! 

Usually have it while dining at Outback Steakhouse.

SS:

I think Al Jardine is the blond guy in the lower left and Mike Love is the dude with the hat. The original BeachBoys were Carl, Brian and Dennis Wilson with Al Jardine (guitar) and Mike Love (lead vocals).

Brian Wilson is not in the picture, but that is Bruce Johnston (center middle) who came in and played keyboards for the group when Brian became a recluse and went off the end of the cliff....so this picture must be after Brian's meltdown.

You are right that the old BB's were absolutely a phenomonal act. Those harmonies and the music they could get out of those Fender Statocaster guitars and Fender amps.....and yes, we're all now that old if we remember them from way back when.

I have seen the orginal BeachBoys perform and have also heard them in the near past and I agree with Jasper, they are nowhere even close to what the original sound and music was like. I wouldn't pay to see them today.

Anyway they were great in the good old days, inventing a sound of the surf that most of us in the East could never imagine existed, then morphing into a very sophisticated group with "Pet Sounds."  Troubles surrounded the group as you know, but the original music lives on, so be true to your school!

Well said, SS. Their music is timeless!

I agree, I would not pay to see them. I was fortunate that I am a season pass holder of Universal and attended the Beach Boy concert for free, and to be frank, I would probably not go see them again even if it is free. On the other hand, I saw Frankie Valle and the four seasons at the same venue and was very impressed and enjoyed the concert very much!!!

Of course, Jersey Boys, based on Frankie Valle life, is an incredible Broadway Musical, one of my favorites, and would highly recommend. One of my five favorite muscials of all time!!!

Jasper,

That Jersey Boy's is great!

Ditto, Jasper and jerry...the Jersey Boys was a phenomonal show. The whole theater was rockin' by the end! Would recommend it to everyone!

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

With all due respect to everyone on this post, I ask a simple question (if I am missing something, I apologize):

How does this discussion meet/comply/enhance the purpose of the MRI as explained on the Home Welcome Page:

The Marriott Rewards Insiders is an online community devoted to exploring travel. As an Insider, you'll get first-hand advice from some of the world's most experienced travelers. From road warriors to vacationers, our Insiders offer tips and opinions that you won't find anywhere else.

We love diversity and that means sharing our experiences, our life stories, and our travel. For some of us, the world revolves around home and family, for others it is a world full of exciting places and fascinating people.  Recall the adult movie thread of Insiders of old?  That was a hum-dinger and off topic but it brought out opinions of all stripes.

In brainstorming there are no bad ideas.  Within the bounds of propriety and respect, all subjects it seems to me are fair game.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

SS - I totally understand your motive for posting life stories and experiences - but is that not really for a Facebook or Twitter site? I ask only because of a recent poll that suggested the MRI get back to "travel-related" topics, not life stories and experiences that are not travel related. In addition, if I were wanting to learn about Courtyard - Downtown St Louis, this post would pop up using a tag search yet says absolutely nothing about the CY-St Louis or for that matter, St Louis. My apologies if it appears I am singling you out on this topic, but there are a multitude of posts that trend this way. So, IMO, how about travel-related topics? (Would this question be better for a new discussion rather than stringing along this specific post?)

And, YES - I do remember the movie thread in v2 of MRI; I should have spoken out about that one, too, despite the number of views, comments, etc. as it was inappropriate for MRI which objective is clearly stated as travel-related.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Well, here's a travel-related celeb story...

Years ago, I had to attend a software conference at the Opryland Hotel.  Had to go on Saturday to get the cheaper Saturday night stay flight price.  Conference was sponsered by one of my company's divisions.  The first 50 people signing up for the conference won free tickets to the Grand Ole Opry's performance on Saturday night.  Called a friend over at that division asking if there were any additional tickets available (was not a country western fan at that time, at all!).  Sure, my friend says... I'll leave them at the ticket office for you... which was a drive thru, if I remember correctly.  Well, got the tickets but somehow screwed up getting to parking lot.  Ended up back at the hotel where I remembered a feeder road running along side the highway.  Took that, passed a guard house where no one stopped me, and found some parking in the lot.  Followed some folks into an entrance with a big green awning stating "Grand Ole  Opry".  Went in, no one asked for my ticket... walked down a hallway with lockers on each side.  Realized I was backstage.

Now, I'm the first to get caught when I even think of doing something "wrong".  Looked for the Exit sign and had my hand on the last doorknob before the auditorium... so what do I hear behind me?  "Excuse me, miss"... aw, man, I was trying to do the right thing!!!  Looked at the guard and said "Yes?"  "Here", he said.  Just took whatever it was he was giving me and scooted through the door thankful I wasn't being evicted.  Started looking for my seat in the auditorium and looked down at the paper he gave me... "BACKSTAGE PASS"!!!!!  Woohoo!!!!  And, I didn't even like country music!

Backstage, I went... met Glenn Campbell (looked at him and then my camera... he grabbed my camera, tossed it to a friend of his, put his arm around me and I now have that imortalized!  LOL!), was in Roy Acuff's and Mel Tillis' dressing rooms, sat in those bleachers on the stage, ate at the backstage buffets... had a blast!!!

NHM,

Great story! 

Isn't it funny how "Small doors, open to big rooms"!  You could not have planned this and now its a wonderful memory.  Never been to the GOO, but do enjoy that outlet mall next door.  Nashville is a lot of fun at a reasonable price!  The RI is just down the road, and really spoils me when I stay there.

Jerrycoin -- If you like Branson, you'll enjoy the opry.  As for the outlet mall, as of 3 or 4 months ago when I drove by it, it was still closed due to the flood of a couple of years ago.  I have stayed at the FFI near the opry...not a good experience...they obviously don't enforce the no smoking policy there.  We've also stayed at the RI and Marriott closer to the airport.  Both were nice.

NU,

I had the same experience at the FF!  Too close to Opryland for me, and I have, but never will again stay at Opryland.  Both the RI, and Marriott have also been good to me.

NU, I did not know the Opryland Outlet Mall was still closed.  Was there just prior to the flood and it was great and very busy. The Andrew Jackson was a great place to dine at Opryland.  Was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable it was and how disappointed I was at Mike Kelly's Steakhouse.  Heard so many good things about Kelly's, but it was not memorable. 

jerrycoin -- here's the announcemnt about the reopening.

http://www.simon.com/mall/oprymills/default.aspx

Thanks NU,

I had no idea it was going to take that long to open the Opryland Mall again. 

Likewise, I do enjoy Branson and will be there in two weeks at one of my favorite places in Branson, The RI.  Planning on seeing Johnny Mathis and Andy Williams.  Always a good time and especially when you can enjoy the Christmas Shows.

We have a picture somewhere taken by Glenn Campbell of my daughter and (the immortal) Jerry Rice at the AT&T Pro Am.  She remembered Jerry, who was then still number 80 for the 49ers but had no idea who Glenn was.  She did mention that his hair never moved in the windy day at Pebble Beach.

Pingreeman, I still feel  "As an Insider, you'll get first-hand advice from some of the world's most experienced travelers. From road warriors to vacationers, our Insiders offer tips and opinions that you won't find anywhere else". I still don't believe having the posts that have been made on this site takes away from this statement what so ever!!!

Jasper,

Well said!

This is entertainment to me!  Reflecting and learning, plus I "Laugh out loud" every day at some of the comments.  i don't get that much entertainment from "Reality shows", because I never watch them. 

Keep the varied posts coming!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...