40 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2011 4:21 AM by arkwright RSS

Rank your 5 top Cities that you have visited in the World

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Well we have heard about Europe..How about where you would rank the top cities to visit in the world. It will be interesting to see how many Europe locations will survive this challenge!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Johannesburg, South Africa
  • Re: Rank your 5 top Cities to visit in the World

1. Jeruslalem, Israel

2. Johannesburg, South Africa (Kruger Park-Sabi Sabi)

3. Amman, Jordon (Petra and Jerash)

4 Siem Reap, Cambodia (Angkor Wat)

5. Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rank your 5 top Cities that you have visited in the World
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Jasper,

That is a tough question!  There are so many places for each persons desires.

Each to his/her own, I'm not into adventure, except to shop, dine, and relax.  So my choices would be:

1.   Paris

2.   London

3.   Monte Carlo

4.   Zurich

5.   Berlin

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Brutal choices (so I'll cheat, but only a little).  With full disclaimers (and the right to change the list as the wind blows).

1. London - best walking city, and the theater....
    2. Singapore (for a brief visit) - exotic crossroads, splendid food choices, big water
      • or Hong Kong (for more frequent visits) - more of everything, including chaos
    3. Paris - at night, for your last meal, for street food... the Louvre, Montmatre...
      • but if you're a music lover, maybe Vienna, particularly in the summer!!!
        • and maybe Vicenza or Verona if the category is "starts with V...."
      • and it's possible that the river, at night, is equally spectacular in Budapest
    4. Istanbul - again, the crossroads, the history, the food, the water
      • or, for history, maybe Jerusalem, or Athens or....
    5. (modern) Berlin - specifically as opposed to old Berlin
      • but maybe Barcelona if the category is "starts with B...."
      • unless you love beef and red wine, in which case it has to be Buenos Aires....

TOO DIFFICULT, I give up... Make it stop!!!!

fhllast4ever Platinum

1. Alexandria, Egypt

2. Versailles (France)

3.Vienna, Austria

4. New York City

5. Melbourne, Australia

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Hard, very hard, to limit it to 5 and I haven't even been to most that I want to see!  But, here are a few to-date (ok, some may not qualify as a 'city', only a village or town):

1.  Hallstatt, Austria

hallstatt.jpg

2.  Prague, CZ

Prague.jpg

3.  Cesky Krumlov, CZ

ckrumlov.jpg

4.  Yvoire, France

Yvoire.jpg

5.  Honfleur, France

Honfleur.jpg

Do I really have to limit it to just 5???

• Rank your 5 top Cities that you have visited in the World
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Lincoln (Huskers of course)

Dallas (love them Cowboys)

Atlanta (Braves fan since 1965)

Kansas City (Arthur Bryant's BBQ)

Honolulu (or any other place in Hawaii...golf, beach, and is there anywhere else in the US that can beat that weather...)

tulsad1 Silver 60 Reviews

RIO, none other, period!!!!!essay-rio-de-janeiro-beaches_26603_600x450.jpg

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Jasper:

1.     Bangkok

2.     Sydney

3.     Chicago

4.     Berlin

5.     Hong Kong

Are you collating?

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

In no particular order:

London

Hong Kong

San Diego

Las Vegas

Jiangmen (Guangdong Province, China)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Les,

Do you have any photo's? 

Jiangmen, sound like a most interesting place.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

Jerry, it was.  Jiangmen is an "off the beaten path" town of 4.5 million (that's China for you!), about a 2.5 hour ferry ride from Hong Kong and an hour drive from Guangzhou.  It's a "sister city" of where my kids go to high school and play in the band.  They had a homestay with local high school band families, while us parents were treated like royalty by local school and city officials, and stayed in a great hotel.  Lots of history in the area, great food (seafood, vegetables) and some of the friendliest people you'd ever meet.            

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Jasper100, Great question.

1.)  Prague

2.)  London

3.)  Dublin

4.) San Francisco

5.) New York

rcalj7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Washington D.C.

New York City

London

Paris

Kansas City (City of Fountains)

At this point it looks like the top three vote getters are:

1. London

2. NYC

3. Paris

So Insider's, be sure to put these three locations on your "bucket list"  if you have not traveled to these places!!!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Been to all three and arrested outside of one--Paris--should I take that off the list?

No, I think you should go back and see if there is a repeat performance???? I understand the jail food in Paris is outstanding!!!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

My charm with the Gendarmes and a call to the Embassy got me off the hook thankfully. It would have been a blemish on my otherwise spotless reputation!

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Thank you, Jasper.

Perhaps that finding won't bring too many frowns to the faces of Marriott's strategic planners?

I recall a conversation about 5 or so years ago with a "senior" Marriott man who offered the observation along the following lines: " given cost-base trends, these days there were only three major cities in the world where the likes of Marriott could expect to develop a new hotel and make a reasonable profit - New York, Tokyo and London." When I saw him again a couple of years later, he added, tongue firmly in cheek: "and we were wrong about one or two in London!"

A

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...