4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 30, 2011 11:03 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Monterey thread

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Jerrycoin suggested a placeholder for our peninsula.  Great idea.

To make this work why don't any of you who've been here (or live here) send in your memories of Monterey/Carmel/Pacific Grove and Pebble Beach. Include your own photos, any memorabilia you've collected, interesting stories about characters you've met, and so on.  The goal of this thread will be to assemble the best and brightest minds on Insiders to give others a sense of this place and its history and people.  Restaurants you've loved or hated are also fair game.

And, for other ambitious insiders, please consider taking ownership for your corner of the world as a separate thread.

Let's see how this one works, maybe we can be the new Fodors, who can say?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Monterey Peninsula, California, USA
  • Re: Monterey thread
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

Shortly before John Denver went into MB, I was a guest at the 25th anniversary of the Apollo Program at Kennedy Space Center.  Almost all of the Apollo astronauts were there and John Denver performed.  While I do not have the exact date, it was the same night as OJ was being chased in LA, so it would not be hard to find the date.  John Denver was so gracious and talented, he admired the astronauts so much and sang a song I will never forget "They were flying for me".  That song was about the Challenger disaster and was most touching.  When asked to come on stage at the end with the astronauts he was polite but did not, he respected them and did not feel he belonged on the stage with them. 

Monterey Bay is full of mysteries, but I was saddened with the "Preventable" loss of John Denver there.  That first picture is John Denver, Alan Shepherd, and Wally Sherra.  The second picture is with Fred Haise (Apollo 13), a friend and myself.  A real intimate evening, small crowd, but a lot of class.  Neil Armstrong was there and all these "Heroes" were low profile and low ego.  Memorable. 

While I have been fortunate to visit this beautiful area, Monterey Bay will always be remembered by me for John Denver.

PTDC0044.JPGPTDC0057.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Great Story jerrycoin..Thanks for sharing this with us. John Denver was one of my favorite performers also. Every Christmas, when my children were younger, we would watch John Denver and the Muppets and even as old as they are now (young adults), they still talk about it and every now and then we watch it again.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Thanks Jerry, as you know the NTSB decided that it was an accident but that does not make it easier to accept.  There'sa small memorial along the shore from time to time that brings John's life into focus again.  When I hear one of his songs on the radio it seems as if he's still here, making great music and laughing, his head held back like in the old days.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

I could not stand JD when I was young, but he really started to impress me with his song's.  Perhaps Love, in or around 1968 was really great.

He was a real American Hero to me!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...